mrjones15

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
im planning on putting a new desktop together and just wanted to make sure i have everything and make sure it all fits this is my first time building so any advice helps..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148441 - SSD for OS

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136929 - HDD for everything else

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106335 - Optical drive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835426024 - extra fan

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811108376 - tower

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188092 - MoBo

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130687 - Vid card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139035 - Power supply

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115095 - Processor

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231445 - RAM

i just wanna know if everything is better than average and if its gonna be compatible with everything idc if theres something a lot cheaper and little less better im looking for speed and performance just lemme know if i need anything else (coords, etc.) and just make sure everything is gonna fit fine. TY =]

and im going to be using my tv (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=Panasonic+TC+-+L42D30+-+LED-backlit+LCD+TV+-+1080p+(FullHD)&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US: official&client=firefox-a&um=1&hl=en&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=16351292330495967444&sa=X&ei=cLiWT8mnKKT40gG17OWeDg&ved=0CHQQ8wIwAA) as my monitor if that counts for anything..

kulladoctor

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
The 10000 RPM Hard drive is a premium product. Do you really need such a fast hard drive when you already have an SSD boot drive? How about get a higher Capacity Caviar Black or spend the difference on a larger boot SSD (128GB).

Why are you picking up a e-ATX motherboard? It is meant for 3 way SLI. You have only one video card and a 650 Watt power supply, so I assume you do not plan to go 3 way sli or add a whole bunch of add-in cards. Pick up a ASUS P8Z68 Pro Instead. Better for OC'ing your processor and lot cheaper.

Get the 2500k instead of the 2700k, it is $100 cheaper, and you can OC it to nearly the same performance. The only exception to this is if you multitask like crazy (Run photoshop, watch HD movies, convert audio/video at the same time), in which case Hyper Threading would be important and you should get the 2600k.

For the Graphics card, I would need to know more about what you intend to do with this PC. If your plan is to play the latest games at 1980x1080 at good details, then dont bother with the 570 GTX. Get the 680 GTX. Unless you are in a hurry to build the system and cant wait till it becomes available. On the other hand, if you are connecting this to your tv to mainly watch movies etc, then this graphics card is overkill and get something much cheaper, like a 6850.

You can save money on the case. The Cool Master HAF 912 has a similar design to the one you picked, but costs only ~$60.

Nice pick with the Ram and PSU, both good products!

g-unit1111

Titan
The 10000 RPM Hard drive is a premium product. Do you really need such a fast hard drive when you already have an SSD boot drive? How about get a higher Capacity Caviar Black or spend the difference on a larger boot SSD (128GB).

Not only that - *ANY* premium storage product like the Velociraptor HDs or the OCZ Revodrive - you trade speed for space and it's really not that much of a difference, not to mention that you pay ridiculous premiums on them and the products are far more likely to fail on you. They're just storage gimmicks and not worth what the manufacturers are asking for them. Especially since you're not going to notice any sort of performance gain from such devices.

Why are you picking up a e-ATX motherboard? It is meant for 3 way SLI. You have only one video card and a 650 Watt power supply, so I assume you do not plan to go 3 way sli or add a whole bunch of add-in cards. Pick up a ASUS P8Z68 Pro Instead. Better for OC'ing your processor and lot cheaper.

I agree that the motherboard is definitely overkill.

I'd personally scrap that whole build - you're spending way too much in some areas for outdated equipment (storage, motherboard) that aren't as important when they should be spent on areas that are far more important (PSU, GPU). The extra case fan isn't needed either.

Try this for the same price:

Case: Corsair Carbide 500R - $139.99
PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKII 950W - $149.99
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H - $189.99
CPU: 3.30GHz Intel Core i5-2500K - $219.99
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo - $34.99
RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 8GB 1333MHz 1.5V - $42.99
SSD: 128GB Crucial M4 - $159.99
HD: 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black - $139.99
Optical: LG Black Super Multi BD-R Burner - $79.99
Video Card: EVGA Geforce GTX 680 - $499.99 - *OR* Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 - $459.99

Total: $1,757.89 (with 680), $1,707.89 (with 7970)

Add your peripherals of choice and you're good to go.

kulladoctor

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
Totally agree with g-unit that this build requires some changes. But in order to help you, we need to know more about what you are going to use this for, and what your budget is. Look at the sticky post at the top of the new build forum, and give us the information in the standardized format.

g-unit1111

Titan

Judging from the use of the P67 FTW board and that OP plans to hook up to an LED TV that I'm guessing it's a gaming machine.

mrjones15

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
i dont want something thats gonna b a hundred dollars cheaper thats gonna run almost as good i want speed i hate slow computers and the ssd is strictly for booting up. i wanted a premium hdd for speed like i said i hate slowness when i click on something i dont wanna wait for it load i dont mind sacrificing space for speed so as long as its a good reliable piece ill stick raptor less theres something better. its also gonna b doing a lot of downloading and internet browsing prolly watching movies to so pretty much media,gaming,internet browsing and everything in between. oh and i love hd audio and video!!!! so those are a must!!

kulladoctor

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
For those needs, g-unit's build is perfect. Though I would add an good sound card since you mention that you like good Audio. I dont know much about Sound cards but the 3 companies to compare are Creative XFI and Recon, Asus Zonar and HT Omega. If you wish to connect your computer to a home theater system (not computer speakers or TV speakers), you would want a good amp to go with the sound card.

What gaming are you going to do? Latest games with the best graphics at highest settings or mostly emulators and older games? If its the later, you could cut down on the video card.

g-unit1111

Titan

To be honest I haven't needed a sound card in like years - all I've ever used is the onboard audio and that's worked fine for what I need it to do.

i dont want something thats gonna b a hundred dollars cheaper thats gonna run almost as good i want speed i hate slow computers and the ssd is strictly for booting up.

Are you talking about the motherboard? Sure EVGA's FTW series are quality products but the P67 isn't what it used to be - the Z77 is newer and will allow you to install newer CPUs and video cards to ensure longevity of your system. EVGA makes a Z77 FTW board but it's ridiculously expensive and I'd rather put that money in the GPU - that's where you'll notice the most difference on any build and it can often make or break the performance of said build.

i wanted a premium hdd for speed like i said i hate slowness when i click on something i dont wanna wait for it load i dont mind sacrificing space for speed so as long as its a good reliable piece ill stick raptor less theres something better.

The Raptor is *NOT* better than a quality SSD / HD combo - you do not want to sacrifice space for speed and even then you'll never notice the difference between 5900 RPM - 7200 RPM - 10000 RPM as a secondary hard drive. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about. I've used tons of different storage combinations and this is the one that I've found to work the best. Don't fall for expensive storage gimmicks that are far more likely to fail on you than the fail safe strong SSD/HD combo - like the Raptor or Revo Drive, and if you do, don't say I didn't warn you.

its also gonna b doing a lot of downloading and internet browsing prolly watching movies to so pretty much media,gaming,internet browsing and everything in between. oh and i love hd audio and video!!!!

This computer will handle all of that and then some. You definitely want a 2 - 3TB hard drive and not a Raptor if you're going to be downloading and streaming a lot of HD audio and video. I don't recommend junk brands - and there's plenty out there - or cut corners on builds to get hardware that isn't suited - that's my philosophy. I try to balance it out across all the key areas - motherboard & CPU, storage, video card, PSU, case, cooling. Nothing more, nothing less.

mrjones15

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011

i love the build its f'in sweet but is the i7 2700k not worth the extra hundred dollars maybe even the 2600k?

and ssd is high i dont really need that much space if the ssd im only installing the OS on it i just want the best reads so it starts fast and would doubling the RAM you picked make a big difference at all? and wat makes this RAM better than the rip jaws i had picked up? j/w

mrjones15

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011

definitely gonna b using a 360 so the higher the graphics card the better and also im goin old school with super nintendo and all the systems in between.

and i kno absolute dick about sound cards as well so if anybody could help me i dont hav but i plan on gettin a 7.1 surround sound some day and im def an audiophile i love HD sound!!

g-unit1111

Titan
i love the build its f'in sweet but is the i7 2700k not worth the extra hundred dollars maybe even the 2600k?

If the primary use is going to be as a gaming / multimedia system - no. That money is better spent elsewhere - especially on the GPU. If you're going to be using CS5 or anything that requires hyperthreading then the 2600K would be worth the cost difference - but where you'll notice the most performance difference with any build is on the GPU - not the CPU. You want the single strongest GPU you can get for your budget.

and ssd is high i dont really need that much space if the ssd im only installing the OS on it i just want the best reads so it starts fast and would doubling the RAM you picked make a big difference at all? and wat makes this RAM better than the rip jaws i had picked up? j/w

Even if you're using a 64GB as your boot drive it will fill up quickly and then you'll lose a lot of Windows functionality. I have the 64GB M4 - I wish I had got the 128GB but it's still plenty especially if you're going to be using a 2 - 3 TB hard drive for your secondary.

As far as the RAM goes - that also depends on what you're going to be using it for. If it's gaming no - if it's RAM hungry programs like CS5, then yes. RAM brands - they all pretty much come off the same assembly line so take your pick. Just watch the tall heat sinks if you're going to be using a D14. As far as speeds go you'll never notice the difference between 1333 - 1600 - 1866+ - because by default your motherboard runs the lowest speeds and timings it can handle. You can set your RAM multiplier to run at stock speeds but don't go higher than that or risk frying your motherboard. Intel actually recommends you run between 1333 - 1600 and not higher or your warranty will be voided.

and i kno absolute dick about sound cards as well so if anybody could help me i dont hav but i plan on gettin a 7.1 surround sound some day and im def an audiophile i love HD sound!!

I personally wouldn't invest in a sound card - most motherboards now with onboard audio can handle up to 7.1 channel with no problems - I've hooked my PC up to my parents' 7.1 channel setup and I haven't noticed any difference between having a sound card and not having one.

mrjones15

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
If the primary use is going to be as a gaming / multimedia system - no. That money is better spent elsewhere - especially on the GPU. If you're going to be using CS5 or anything that requires hyperthreading then the 2600K would be worth the cost difference - but where you'll notice the most performance difference with any build is on the GPU - not the CPU. You want the single strongest GPU you can get for your budget.

well i think hyperthreading would really help since i like to run a lot of things all the time so ima go w/ the 2600k

As far as the RAM goes - that also depends on what you're going to be using it for. If it's gaming no - if it's RAM hungry programs like CS5, then yes. RAM brands - they all pretty much come off the same assembly line so take your pick. Just watch the tall heat sinks if you're going to be using a D14. As far as speeds go you'll never notice the difference between 1333 - 1600 - 1866+ - because by default your motherboard runs the lowest speeds and timings it can handle. You can set your RAM multiplier to run at stock speeds but don't go higher than that or risk frying your motherboard. Intel actually recommends you run between 1333 - 1600 and not higher or your warranty will be voided.

ok so wat if i keep thew mushiskin for the game and get 2 x 4 gb RAM for other stuff (just cuz i love maximum performance on everything)

I personally wouldn't invest in a sound card - most motherboards now with onboard audio can handle up to 7.1 channel with no problems - I've hooked my PC up to my parents' 7.1 channel setup and I haven't noticed any difference between having a sound card and not having one.[/quotemsg]

how can i tell if my motherboards sound is good or not?

g-unit1111

Titan
well i think hyperthreading would really help since i like to run a lot of things all the time so ima go w/ the 2600k

Again - that depends what you run. If you're using multimedia apps like CS5 then the 2600K would be needed but if not the 2500K will handle everything you need fine.

ok so wat if i keep thew mushiskin for the game and get 2 x 4 gb RAM for other stuff (just cuz i love maximum performance on everything)

All your RAM modules have to be the same because of timing and voltage issues. They don't necessarily have to be from the same manufacturer as long as the voltage and timing settings are the same - these will be listed on the back of your modules.

how can i tell if my motherboards sound is good or not?

Hard to say actually - most motherboards have the same sound controllers anymore, you won't know how it sounds until you get your build up and running.

mrjones15

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
All your RAM modules have to be the same because of timing and voltage issues. They don't necessarily have to be from the same manufacturer as long as the voltage and timing settings are the same - these will be listed on the back of your modules.

ok timing n voltage the have to be the same but how will i know the difference between the gaming RAM and heavy duty RAM for the hogs?

g-unit1111

Titan

They're just labels - that's all. It's marketing BS. All RAM is pretty much the same except for server RAM which uses error correction (ECC). But most regular motherboards won't accept server RAM so you don't need to worry about that.

g-unit1111

Titan

I wouldn't waste the money to get a motherboard with a built-in wifi module - that's a solid board itself, but just get a cheapo $10 - $20 Wifi adapter.

mrjones15

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011

ok i dont want a cheap wifi if its gonna slow down my pc that kinda depletes the purpose of this build

mrjones15

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011

thax a lot i really appreciate all the help from everybody :D