Enlight 350W PSU Powered off & will not Power back on again!!

Hi Guys

I recently built a Custom Built PC for a family member, this PC has been working fine since April which was when I built the machine,the PC is jsut used for basic stuff like surfing the web, watching films etc, however today they contacted me saying that the PC had Just randomly shut down/powered off during watching a movie , I found it odd that the PSU had just shut down during watching a movie, at this moment I am trying to fix this machine & the PSU will just not power the computer on!, as far as I know the PSU is a pretty decent brand of Enlight has 26Amps total: 12v (1)15Amps 12v(2) 11Amps & also 350w PSU should have been more than enough for a system with a Pentium G620 & integrated Graphics, I have tried to power up the system with a spare cheap PSU I have lying around & the machine powers up fine but I don’t want to use that PSU as it is pretty rubbish.

Also made sure all the connectors are plugged in e.g. 24pin mobo, 4pin CPU power, sata etc, tried different power cables & removed cmos battery.


System Specs:

Intel Pentium G620 + integrated graphics

Stock CPU Cooler

GA-H61M D2H USB3

2GB DDR3 RAM

Enlight GPS-350ABC 350w PSU 12v(1) 15Amps 12v(2) 11Amps

Ezcool NA705B Mid tower case

Does anyone know why this PSU: Enlight GPS-350ABC 350w would power off & just stop working & would it be possible to get it working again??

help would be appreciated.
46 answers Last reply
More about enlight 350w powered power back again
  1. Thats not a brand name I even recognize...
    Hopefully it didnt take out the motherbd or cpu when it died.
  2. A cheap PSU is not a wise choice. I've never heard of Enlight GPS-350ABC. I'm going to assume it is of poor quality until I have evidence otherwise. Now that you know the PSU is the problem, replace it with a better quality unit. Here are some examples in the 350-400W range. If you are not in the US, maybe you can locate them locally.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007657%20600014018&IsNodeId=1&name=351W%20-%20400W
  3. popatim said:
    Thats not a brand name I even recognize...
    Hopefully it didnt take out the motherbd or cpu when it died.


    yeah CPU & motherboard are fine as I tested it with a cheap PSU i had lying around
  4. taken some pictures of the inside of the PSU & looks like the PSU has all white stuff inside of it, I think (some of it) was there before & there's some next to the Power inlet which I'm pretty sure wasn't there before

    http://postimage.org/image/mjbngtaht/
    http://postimage.org/image/ymgz4dlk1/
    http://postimage.org/image/psq2n9yld/
    http://postimage.org/image/71o5d440x/
  5. Hi Guys

    was also looking inside the PSU to try and spot any other faults & the PSU didnt have any burning smells etc, but when looking I saw this: http://postimage.org/image/4bych0e2r/, its the power on/off switch (from the inside of the PSU) does it look burnt out or anything?? & is it possible that the on/off switch on the back of the unit has stopped working??
  6. All the pics look normal to me. The white stuff you see is insulation/cement to hold the components from shaking loose. The dark area on the switch wires is just solder flux after being heated. Btw, if that last pick is the back of the power switch, it's odd there's only 2 wires coming from it. It appears they only break one side of the line. Here is the US the 2nd line is a grounded neutral, but if you use that PSU in Europe (and changed the voltage selector) where the residential power is 230V, one 'hot' wire would still be live.
  7. ...or does Europe ground one line like we do here in the US?
  8. clutchc said:
    All the pics look normal to me. The white stuff you see is insulation/cement to hold the components from shaking loose. The dark area on the switch wires is just solder flux after being heated. Btw, if that last pick is the back of the power switch, it's odd there's only 2 wires coming from it. It appears they only break one side of the line. Here is the US the 2nd line is a grounded neutral, but if you use that PSU in Europe (and changed the voltage selector) where the residential power is 230V, one 'hot' wire would still be live.


    @ clutchc thanks for the reply

    this is a PC which I built for a Family member & is not mine, as far as I'm aware the voltage switch on the back has been left at 230V for Europe according to them & I cant get it turn on, is it possible that the on/off switch on the back of the PSU is broke?
  9. I remember Enlight quite well. Back in the late 1990's during the early days of the Internet, Enlight offered some nice pc cases and power supplies in the 300 to 350 watt range. Back then 350 watts was considered to be quite a bit of power. The Enlight psu's were considered to be average power supplies that were adequate for ordinary everyday use. They weren't high quality psu's. Neither were they lemons. They were just average.

    Hardware Heaven published the last English Language review of an Enlight power supply in September 2008. It was the 650 watt Enlight Sniper model. The review was favorable for a budget oriented psu. After that Enlight faded away.

    pb18 - Your psu is a discontinued model from 2007. It lacks numerous features found in modern power supplies. I suggest you consider purchasing a better quality psu.
  10. pb18 said:
    @ clutchc thanks for the reply

    this is a PC which I built for a Family member & is not mine, as far as I'm aware the voltage switch on the back has been left at 230V for Europe according to them & I cant get it turn on, is it possible that the on/off switch on the back of the PSU is broke?

    I'd say it's pretty obvious that the pwr sw. is broken. Or stuck. A mechanical issue, not electrical. Either way, not a good scenerio. I would consider replacing it for them.
  11. JohnnyLucky said:
    I remember Enlight quite well. Back in the late 1990's during the early days of the Internet, Enlight offered some nice pc cases and power supplies in the 300 to 350 watt range. Back then 350 watts was considered to be quite a bit of power. The Enlight psu's were considered to be average power supplies that were adequate for ordinary everyday use. They weren't high quality psu's. Neither were they lemons. They were just average.

    Hardware Heaven published the last English Language review of an Enlight power supply in September 2008. It was the 650 watt Enlight Sniper model. The review was favorable for a budget oriented psu. After that Enlight faded away.

    pb18 - Your psu is a discontinued model from 2007. It lacks numerous features found in modern power supplies. I suggest you consider purchasing a better quality psu.


    @ JohnnyLucky

    thanks for the info on the enlight PSU's, I had ordered a replacement PSU yesterday which is a: FSP Hexa 500W Refurbished PSU @ only £20
  12. clutchc said:
    A cheap PSU is not a wise choice. I've never heard of Enlight GPS-350ABC. I'm going to assume it is of poor quality until I have evidence otherwise. Now that you know the PSU is the problem, replace it with a better quality unit. Here are some examples in the 350-400W range. If you are not in the US, maybe you can locate them locally.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007657%20600014018&IsNodeId=1&name=351W%20-%20400W


    @ clutchc

    I remembering seeing on a review or forum saying that Enlight PSU's were made by Delta that is why I assumed it was a good quality PSU & also it was very well made, I couldn't remember the specific site as it was a couple of months ago I saw it but I think this is the Review By Akyang on newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817373004

    or this one: http://rusbyte.ru/index.php?productID=118, Delta GPS-350AB-C 350W Passive PFC 24Pin SATA 12cm fan, is my PSU Enlight GPS-350AB C 350W a rebranded Delta because this Delta PSU is the same model No: GPS 350 AB C ?

    also I had ordered a replacement PSU yesterday which is a: FSP Hexa 500W Refurbished PSU @ only £20
  13. Hi Guys

    is my PSU Enlight GPS-350AB C 350W a rebranded Delta because this Delta PSU is the same model No: GPS 350 AB C ?

    Delta GPS-350AB-C 350W Passive PFC 24Pin SATA 12cm fan, http://rusbyte.ru/index.php?productID=118
  14. Your Enlight psu was manufactured by Delta. Just because Delta manufactured the power supply does not mean it is a high quality psu. Your Enlight psu is an average model.

    Delta is an OEM manufacturer that makes power supplies for other companies. Delta manufactures power supplies based on what a company specifies. A company might want a high quality psu or a company may want an avererage power supply. For example, Delta manufactures the High Current Pro psu's for Antec. Those Antec psu's are considered to be very good power supplies. Delta also manufacturers power supplies for other companies that are considered to be just average. It just depends on what a customer wants.

    The Hexa 500 watt power supply you mentioned is based on the FSP500-60APN design. The psu just barely operates within specifications and tolerances. The ripple is high on that model. The fact that it is a refurbished model is a clue that there were problems.
  15. JohnnyLucky said:
    Your Enlight psu was manufactured by Delta. Just because Delta manufactured the power supply does not mean it is a high quality psu. Your Enlight psu is an average model.

    Delta is an OEM manufacturer that makes power supplies for other companies. Delta manufactures power supplies based on what a company specifies. A company might want a high quality psu or a company may want an avererage power supply. For example, Delta manufactures the High Current Pro psu's for Antec. Those Antec psu's are considered to be very good power supplies. Delta also manufacturers power supplies for other companies that are considered to be just average. It just depends on what a customer wants.

    The Hexa 500 watt power supply you mentioned is based on the FSP500-60APN design. The psu just barely operates within specifications and tolerances. The ripple is high on that model. The fact that it is a refurbished model is a clue that there were problems.



    ok thanks

    the FSP Hexa 500w PSU I bought has been marked as a refurbished unit because it has been pulled from a fully working computer which a customer sent back under the (? day return period), there was no fault with the PSU they just had to mark it as Refurbished because its not technically new anymore so hopefully it should be almost new & work good.
  16. Good Luck! :)
  17. JohnnyLucky said:
    Good Luck! :)


    thanks :)
  18. Hi Guys

    Just recieved the replacement PSU this morning: FSP Hexa 500W & it works great :), appears to be almost brand new looking & had very little use & seems to be better quality than I expected & also quite well made.

    also received a PSU tester to test the Enlight 350W PSU & nothing :( , does anyone know how to power on a PSU when the rear on/off switch is broken??
  19. pb18 said:
    does anyone know how to power on a PSU when the rear on/off switch is broken??

    The only way to bypass the hard-switch is to remove the PSU's cover and use an appropriate method to bypass it.

    Since the wires are soldered in this particular PSU, you will need to either wrap wire across the solder tabs, solder a wire between tabs, use alligator clips with suitable gauge wire to short the switch out, etc. Not recommended unless you are comfortable with doing stuff like that.
  20. InvalidError said:
    The only way to bypass the hard-switch is to remove the PSU's cover and use an appropriate method to bypass it.

    Since the wires are soldered in this particular PSU, you will need to either wrap wire across the solder tabs, solder a wire between tabs, use alligator clips with suitable gauge wire to short the switch out, etc. Not recommended unless you are comfortable with doing stuff like that.


    @ InvaildError

    thanks for that useful info, I will open up the PSU & if I feel comfortable may try this method as this Particular PSU has been discontiued anyway
  21. pb18 said:
    @ InvaildError

    thanks for that useful info, I will open up the PSU & if I feel comfortable may try this method as this Particular PSU has been discontiued anyway

    Just remember, you are dealing with line voltage at the power switch.

    Btw, those switches are replaceable if you know how to solder.
  22. clutchc said:
    Just remember, you are dealing with line voltage at the power switch.

    Btw, those switches are replaceable if you know how to solder.



    @clutchc

    Ok thanks I'll bear that in mind, Yeah I know how to solder, where can I purchase a replacement switch?
  23. pb18 said:
    @clutchc

    Ok thanks I'll bear that in mind, Yeah I know how to solder, where can I purchase a replacement switch?

    Take it out first and take it to a local hdwr store or an electronics store. Or even Radio Shack (if those are in the UK).
  24. clutchc said:
    Take it out first and take it to a local hdwr store or an electronics store. Or even Radio Shack (if those are in the UK).


    @clutchc

    Ok thanks I'll probably take it to a local hardware/electronic store as there's only 1 Radio Shack store in UK:http://www.radioshackuk.co.uk/epages/BT2533.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT2533/Categories/Computing but sadly its not near me.
  25. pb18 - I just went back and read this entire thread. Are you sure it is the power switch and not some other component? You did mention the psu shut down while watching a movie. It could be a different component.
  26. JohnnyLucky said:
    pb18 - I just went back and read this entire thread. Are you sure it is the power switch and not some other component? You did mention the psu shut down while watching a movie. It could be a different component.


    @JohhnyLucky

    I'm not really sure what component inside the PSU caused this, the rear on/off switch was just a guess as I couldn't see any damage inside the PSU, also tested the PSU with a different Power cable & PSU tester which I received this morning but sadly nothing, I found it a bit odd that a PSU would just shut down watching a movie IMO :s

    any ideas of what component inside the PSU could cause this? as I have never had problems this bad with any of my PSU's, here are some Pictures I've taken which show the inside the PSU:

    http://postimage.org/image/ltn7p0det/, http://postimage.org/image/p1rp21zol/, http://postimage.org/image/z0cnoj945/, http://postimage.org/image/5z8bf4oo5/, http://postimage.org/image/amedgwc11/
  27. pb18 said:
    any ideas of what component inside the PSU could cause this?

    If there is no sign of damage, it could be because the fuse blew up before anything else did. You could test the fuse with a multimeter to see if it is open. If it is, you could replace it with one that has slightly higher rating and see if something else blows up.

    If you do not know how to use a multimeter to verify this, you likely shouldn't be messing with this. If you do proceed with the fuse substitution, I recommend closing the PSU in case something fails catastrophically... you don't want a capacitor metal can to launch and find its way into your eye or something else of the sort.
  28. InvalidError said:
    If there is no sign of damage, it could be because the fuse blew up before anything else did. You could test the fuse with a multimeter to see if it is open. If it is, you could replace it with one that has slightly higher rating and see if something else blows up.

    If you do not know how to use a multimeter to verify this, you likely shouldn't be messing with this. If you do proceed with the fuse substitution, I recommend closing the PSU in case something fails catastrophically... you don't want a capacitor metal can to launch and find its way into your eye or something else of the sort.


    @InvalidError

    Ok thanks I'll order a multimeter to check the PSU: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-Voltmeter-Ammeter-Multimeter-AC-DC-Meter-OHM-/160858373320?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item2573e7fcc8#ht_2934wt_1271 , If it does happen to be the fuse I will just purchase one with a Higher rating as you suggested.

    Also yeah thanks I will bear in mind to keep the PSU Closed when testing it & I will also make sure to wear some safety goggles to protect my eyes.
  29. pb18 said:
    If it does happen to be the fuse I will just purchase one with a Higher rating as you suggested.

    Don't overdo it too much if you replace it. I would aim somewhere between 1A and 2A above the original fuse. Should be enough to survive inrush and minor events that may have blown the original fuse while still providing roughly the same degree of protection as the original fuse. If this still blows then you know there may be bigger issues with the PSU.
  30. And you may even be able to get the original size fuse in a time-delay version. That will help with a current surge without going beyond the specs.
  31. InvalidError said:
    Don't overdo it too much if you replace it. I would aim somewhere between 1A and 2A above the original fuse. Should be enough to survive inrush and minor events that may have blown the original fuse while still providing roughly the same degree of protection as the original fuse. If this still blows then you know there may be bigger issues with the PSU.


    @InvalidError

    Ok thanks I'll bear in mind to go between 1A and 2A above the original Fuse.
  32. clutchc said:
    And you may even be able to get the original size fuse in a time-delay version. That will help with a current surge without going beyond the specs.


    @clutchc

    Ok thanks for that info, I'll see if I can get the original size fuse in a time-delay version
  33. Hi Guys I managed to fix the PSU by replacing the Fuse with a new one a 5Amps
  34. Congrats on your PSU repair :p

    Hopefully the fuse giving up prematurely was the only problem.

    I replaced fuses in two PSUs up to this day. One worked perfectly fine, the other vaporized a few components' leads with a moderately loud AC arc buzz sound and light show for a second or two before the fuse burned out enough to extinguish the arc.
  35. Congrats. Now, test the PSU before putting it in service and possibly damaging some computer component. You can either do the paper clip trick and read volatages with a VOM meter... or pick up a PSU tester.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100006640%2040000133&IsNodeId=1&Description=psu%20tester&name=PC%20Tools&Order=BESTMATCH
    (I realize you can't order from Newegg. But that is what they look like if you haven't seen one before)
  36. clutchc said:
    Congrats. Now, test the PSU before putting it in service and possibly damaging some computer component. You can either do the paper clip trick and read volatages with a VOM meter... or pick up a PSU tester.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100006640%2040000133&IsNodeId=1&Description=psu%20tester&name=PC%20Tools&Order=BESTMATCH
    (I realize you can't order from Newegg. But that is what they look like if you haven't seen one before)



    @clutchc

    thank you :)

    I ordered a PSU tester from ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280874605587?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_3132wt_1424 on 08/08/12 & received on 11/08/12, will test the PSU with the tester
  37. InvalidError said:
    Congrats on your PSU repair :p

    Hopefully the fuse giving up prematurely was the only problem.

    I replaced fuses in two PSUs up to this day. One worked perfectly fine, the other vaporized a few components' leads with a moderately loud AC arc buzz sound and light show for a second or two before the fuse burned out enough to extinguish the arc.


    @InvlaidError

    thank you :)

    yeah hopefully the fuse giving up was the only problem :P, I have tested the PSU with a PSU tester which I picked up on ebay: ebay:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280874605587?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_3132wt_1424 on 08/08/12 & recieved on 11/08/12 & everything seems to be working fine :)
  38. Hi Guys

    I know this is off topic, but now that I'm feeling happy because that PSU is fixed :), could I have some opinions?, I did a recent case Mod on an Atrix 9001 mid tower, I have replaced both the Top & side Mesh grills with clear plexiglass windows as I think it looks better, could any of you Guys give your opinions on my recent case mod?

    http://postimage.org/gallery/1052o4si/afd95fea/

    Atrix 9001 has nothing to do with the PC Build BTW, its just a recent mod I did on an older case I have.

    thanks :)
  39. I would not buy refurbished anything for any PC. You should have gone for a Corsair CX 430 v2 or a Seasonic S12II 380B. FSP/Hexa is poor quality. I'd also consider replacing the case. Its an old design and won't have much air circulating through it.
  40. Smeg45 said:
    I would not buy refurbished anything for any PC. You should have gone for a Corsair CX 430 v2 or a Seasonic S12II 380B. FSP/Hexa is poor quality. I'd also consider replacing the case. Its an old design and won't have much air circulating through it.


    OK thanks , I Know ideally I should have gone for something like corsair or seasonic but I just bought the FSP hexa 500W as I felt for £20 refurbished it was pretty much the best value for money PSU, also I was on a budget & it wasn't really refurbished as it was a pull from a machine which a customer had returned under ?? week return period & the PSU was almost new ( they just had to sell all the parts in the machine & replace it with new because they had techinally bieng used for a few weeks), for my two personal rigs I am using an XFX 550W core Edition (intel core 2 quad q8300 Rig) & XFX 750W Core edition (intel core i7 960 Rig): See my Configuration(s) link

    also the case are you reffering to the Atrix 9001?, if so that case is Just an older case I have, the case I used for the pentium G620 Build is a: Ezcool NA-705B

    that Atrix 9001 has nothing to do with the PC Build BTW, its just a recent mod I did on an older case I have.
  41. pb18 said:
    OK thanks , I Know ideally I should have gone for something like corsair or seasonic but I just bought the FSP hexa 500W as I felt for £20 refurbished it was pretty much the best value for money PSU, also I was on a budget & it wasn't really refurbished as it was a pull from a machine which a customer had returned under ?? week return period & the PSU was almost new ( they just had to sell all the parts in the machine & replace it with new because they had techinally bieng used for a few weeks), for my two personal rigs I am using an XFX 550W core Edition (intel core 2 quad q8300 Rig) & XFX 750W Core edition (intel core i7 960 Rig): See my Configuration(s) link

    also the case are you reffering to the Atrix 9001?, if so that case is Just an older case I have, the case I used for the pentium G620 Build is a: Ezcool NA-705B

    that Atrix 9001 has nothing to do with the PC Build BTW, its just a recent mod I did on an older case I have.


    Either case isn't that good. Both are rather flimsy and not something I'd like to have parts live in.
  42. Smeg45 said:
    Either case isn't that good. Both are rather flimsy and not something I'd like to have parts live in.


    its a PC I built for a Family member (not my rig) & it was also a budget PC build but then again Im not using that case
  43. I think you did a fine job on the Atrix. Looks really nice. But I imagine air flow is going to be limited since you replaced the mesh grills with plexi-glass. I only noticed one fan at the rear... and an empty mounting opening for a larger one. Living in the US, I'm not familiar with the Atrix brand. But it looks alot like a Lian-Li case I once had.
  44. @clutchc

    Thanks :)

    yeah I was thinking that when taking the mesh grills off about the airflow, but I think it looks better with the window(s), this case has space for front 120mm, Rear 120mm, Top 80mm fan & used to be able to put a fan on the mesh side grill window (any size) because it used a plastic skeleton type structure to mount the fans on.

    Also I think Atrix 9001 is Made by ColorsIT (CIT): http://hardwarelogic.com/articles.php?id=5204& yeah i think it reminds me of an Lan-Li case a bit
  45. Hi Guys

    @ clutchc, JohnnyLucky, invalidError, popatim & Smeg45

    would like to say thank you to all you Guys for your time and effort, Really appreciate everyone who has helped me with fixing my Power Supply issue on my forum and this Great community @ tomshardware ;)
  46. pb18 said:
    Hi Guys

    @ clutchc, JohnnyLucky, invalidError & popatim

    would like to say thank you to all you Guys for your time and effort, Really appreciate everyone who has helped me with fixing my Power Supply issue on my forum and this Great community @ tomshardware ;)

    Nice of you to reply with such nice words. I think everyone here enjoys helping others when possible.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Power Components