Enlight 350W PSU Powered off & will not Power back on again!!

pb18

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
Hi Guys

I recently built a Custom Built PC for a family member, this PC has been working fine since April which was when I built the machine,the PC is jsut used for basic stuff like surfing the web, watching films etc, however today they contacted me saying that the PC had Just randomly shut down/powered off during watching a movie , I found it odd that the PSU had just shut down during watching a movie, at this moment I am trying to fix this machine & the PSU will just not power the computer on!, as far as I know the PSU is a pretty decent brand of Enlight has 26Amps total: 12v (1)15Amps 12v(2) 11Amps & also 350w PSU should have been more than enough for a system with a Pentium G620 & integrated Graphics, I have tried to power up the system with a spare cheap PSU I have lying around & the machine powers up fine but I don’t want to use that PSU as it is pretty rubbish.

Also made sure all the connectors are plugged in e.g. 24pin mobo, 4pin CPU power, sata etc, tried different power cables & removed cmos battery.

System Specs:

Intel Pentium G620 + integrated graphics

Stock CPU Cooler

GA-H61M D2H USB3

2GB DDR3 RAM

Enlight GPS-350ABC 350w PSU 12v(1) 15Amps 12v(2) 11Amps

Ezcool NA705B Mid tower case

Does anyone know why this PSU: Enlight GPS-350ABC 350w would power off & just stop working & would it be possible to get it working again??

help would be appreciated.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

pb18

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011

yeah CPU & motherboard are fine as I tested it with a cheap PSU i had lying around

pb18

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
taken some pictures of the inside of the PSU & looks like the PSU has all white stuff inside of it, I think (some of it) was there before & there's some next to the Power inlet which I'm pretty sure wasn't there before

http://postimage.org/image/mjbngtaht/
http://postimage.org/image/ymgz4dlk1/
http://postimage.org/image/psq2n9yld/
http://postimage.org/image/71o5d440x/

pb18

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
Hi Guys

was also looking inside the PSU to try and spot any other faults & the PSU didnt have any burning smells etc, but when looking I saw this: http://postimage.org/image/4bych0e2r/, its the power on/off switch (from the inside of the PSU) does it look burnt out or anything?? & is it possible that the on/off switch on the back of the unit has stopped working??

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
All the pics look normal to me. The white stuff you see is insulation/cement to hold the components from shaking loose. The dark area on the switch wires is just solder flux after being heated. Btw, if that last pick is the back of the power switch, it's odd there's only 2 wires coming from it. It appears they only break one side of the line. Here is the US the 2nd line is a grounded neutral, but if you use that PSU in Europe (and changed the voltage selector) where the residential power is 230V, one 'hot' wire would still be live.

pb18

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011

@ clutchc thanks for the reply

this is a PC which I built for a Family member & is not mine, as far as I'm aware the voltage switch on the back has been left at 230V for Europe according to them & I cant get it turn on, is it possible that the on/off switch on the back of the PSU is broke?

I remember Enlight quite well. Back in the late 1990's during the early days of the Internet, Enlight offered some nice pc cases and power supplies in the 300 to 350 watt range. Back then 350 watts was considered to be quite a bit of power. The Enlight psu's were considered to be average power supplies that were adequate for ordinary everyday use. They weren't high quality psu's. Neither were they lemons. They were just average.

Hardware Heaven published the last English Language review of an Enlight power supply in September 2008. It was the 650 watt Enlight Sniper model. The review was favorable for a budget oriented psu. After that Enlight faded away.

pb18 - Your psu is a discontinued model from 2007. It lacks numerous features found in modern power supplies. I suggest you consider purchasing a better quality psu.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

I'd say it's pretty obvious that the pwr sw. is broken. Or stuck. A mechanical issue, not electrical. Either way, not a good scenerio. I would consider replacing it for them.

pb18

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011

@ JohnnyLucky

thanks for the info on the enlight PSU's, I had ordered a replacement PSU yesterday which is a: FSP Hexa 500W Refurbished PSU @ only £20

pb18

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011

@ clutchc

I remembering seeing on a review or forum saying that Enlight PSU's were made by Delta that is why I assumed it was a good quality PSU & also it was very well made, I couldn't remember the specific site as it was a couple of months ago I saw it but I think this is the Review By Akyang on newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817373004

or this one: http://rusbyte.ru/index.php?productID=118, Delta GPS-350AB-C 350W Passive PFC 24Pin SATA 12cm fan, is my PSU Enlight GPS-350AB C 350W a rebranded Delta because this Delta PSU is the same model No: GPS 350 AB C ?

also I had ordered a replacement PSU yesterday which is a: FSP Hexa 500W Refurbished PSU @ only £20

Your Enlight psu was manufactured by Delta. Just because Delta manufactured the power supply does not mean it is a high quality psu. Your Enlight psu is an average model.

Delta is an OEM manufacturer that makes power supplies for other companies. Delta manufactures power supplies based on what a company specifies. A company might want a high quality psu or a company may want an avererage power supply. For example, Delta manufactures the High Current Pro psu's for Antec. Those Antec psu's are considered to be very good power supplies. Delta also manufacturers power supplies for other companies that are considered to be just average. It just depends on what a customer wants.

The Hexa 500 watt power supply you mentioned is based on the FSP500-60APN design. The psu just barely operates within specifications and tolerances. The ripple is high on that model. The fact that it is a refurbished model is a clue that there were problems.

pb18

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011

ok thanks

the FSP Hexa 500w PSU I bought has been marked as a refurbished unit because it has been pulled from a fully working computer which a customer sent back under the (? day return period), there was no fault with the PSU they just had to mark it as Refurbished because its not technically new anymore so hopefully it should be almost new & work good.

pb18

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
Hi Guys

Just recieved the replacement PSU this morning: FSP Hexa 500W & it works great :), appears to be almost brand new looking & had very little use & seems to be better quality than I expected & also quite well made.

also received a PSU tester to test the Enlight 350W PSU & nothing :( , does anyone know how to power on a PSU when the rear on/off switch is broken??

InvalidError

Titan

The only way to bypass the hard-switch is to remove the PSU's cover and use an appropriate method to bypass it.

Since the wires are soldered in this particular PSU, you will need to either wrap wire across the solder tabs, solder a wire between tabs, use alligator clips with suitable gauge wire to short the switch out, etc. Not recommended unless you are comfortable with doing stuff like that.

pb18

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011

@ InvaildError

thanks for that useful info, I will open up the PSU & if I feel comfortable may try this method as this Particular PSU has been discontiued anyway

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Just remember, you are dealing with line voltage at the power switch.

Btw, those switches are replaceable if you know how to solder.

pb18

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011

@clutchc

Ok thanks I'll bear that in mind, Yeah I know how to solder, where can I purchase a replacement switch?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Take it out first and take it to a local hdwr store or an electronics store. Or even Radio Shack (if those are in the UK).

pb18

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011

@clutchc

Ok thanks I'll probably take it to a local hardware/electronic store as there's only 1 Radio Shack store in UK:http://www.radioshackuk.co.uk/epages/BT2533.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT2533/Categories/Computing but sadly its not near me.

TRENDING THREADS