Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can you confirm this cpu socket type for me

Last response: in CPUs
August 7, 2012 1:49:51 AM

Out of a very limited selection of notebooks to choose from, i have decided to go for the Acer Aspire 5349-2418 which i will be using for basic tasks and eventually run a virtual machine after a memory upgrade.

What i noticed is its socket type being G2 (rPGA988B). The Acer Aspire 5349-2418 comes standard equipped with Intel Celeron B815 1.6 Ghz (Sandy Bridge), 4GB DDR3 memory. I did some digging and it can support up to 8GB (2 x 4GB DDR3).

I also read that some notebook motherboards does allow for a CPU upgrade, reading up on a brief article about this particular notebook and its socket type, the mobile processor can be replaced.

Are the G2 (rPGA988B) socket CPU's soldered or placed, respectively disallowing or allowing for a CPU upgrade? I merely need confirmation on the subject.

Thanks ahead
a c 134 à CPUs
August 8, 2012 3:02:28 AM

it is indeed socketed
Th only other processor I found this motherbd paired with is the b950. Acer may or may not have locked out the other 35w SB processors.

Best solution

a b à CPUs
August 8, 2012 3:58:19 AM

If you can find what mobo chipset it uses, you can then go to ark.intel.com and look up that chipset and it will give a list of all compatible CPUs that can go on the chipset.

That said, like popatim states, Acer may not have written BIOS support for any other CPUs, so though it will physically fit, the BIOS won't recognize it and not allow for booting (unless you burn out the BIOS and put a custom BIOS in, which I can't help with).
Related resources
August 8, 2012 11:39:25 AM

popatim said:
it is indeed socketed
Th only other processor I found this motherbd paired with is the b950. Acer may or may not have locked out the other 35w SB processors.

Thanks man, good to know. I'll look into it.
August 8, 2012 11:51:24 AM

scottiemedic said:
If you can find what mobo chipset it uses, you can then go to ark.intel.com and look up that chipset and it will give a list of all compatible CPUs that can go on the chipset.

That said, like popatim states, Acer may not have written BIOS support for any other CPUs, so though it will physically fit, the BIOS won't recognize it and not allow for booting (unless you burn out the BIOS and put a custom BIOS in, which I can't help with).

Indeed. Good to know that it is socketed tho. So far the according to the Acer homepage the Aspire 5349 series either only support or merely have been equipped with the Celeron B800 and B710 processors.

The chipset does have a lot more CPU's listed as supported by the chipset. I guess the only way to really tell is to do a test. I have already downloaded the latest BIOS from Acer. Out of curiosity, I will acquire a second processor and push my luck.

Thanks again guys.
a b à CPUs
August 8, 2012 3:47:57 PM

Anytime, good luck and let us know in case someone else has the same question.

Don't suppose the BIOS updates have readmes about changes made per revision that might give insight on CPUs supported? That would probably be too easy, but so obvious it might not have been checked?
August 8, 2012 3:57:11 PM

scottiemedic said:
Anytime, good luck and let us know in case someone else has the same question.

Don't suppose the BIOS updates have readmes about changes made per revision that might give insight on CPUs supported? That would probably be too easy, but so obvious it might not have been checked?

Yeah, right after you guys mentioned BIOS support I immediately checked the BIOS readme.txt for any changes per revision. Alas, there's nothing much mentioned on the txt file other than

Run "ZQR_108.exe" file to flash BIOS in pure DOS environment.
Run "ZQR_108W.exe" to flash BIOS in Windows x86/x64 OS.

I usually expect a laundry list of changes which discourages you to read the lot by just looking at it lol.

I'll be sure to keep you guys updated.
August 18, 2012 7:32:38 PM

Apparently I'm not getting the laptop anymore so no test engine for me. Kinda bummed out. But thanks anyway guys. Maybe If I wait longer, I'll be getting a decent workstation notebook. Thanks again guys.
August 18, 2012 7:33:52 PM

Best answer selected by forumfan_920.
!