4 MB L2 Cache in Core 2 Duo T7200 is worth it?!

old_times

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
Ok here is the deal my friends; last night finally I ordered my long awaiting Core 2 Duo HP dv2000t laptop. Why HP? for 14.1" Dell is too bulky, Sony SZ is too flimsy , Acer has no Core 2 Duo available, Toshiba is a rip off Asus has no support>> 2 months research!! :?

It took me a while scratching my head to decide if I want the large 4 MB L2 cache or an extra 1 GB of memory. Both would set me back $200. Well finally I picked up the T7200 with 4 MB Cache because I do no gaming on the laptop, and it is mainly for office applications and music storage.

Does anybody know how L2 cache compares to memory in office applications in terms of performance and power consumption?
:roll: :?:

Thanks!

HP Pavilion dv2000t CTO NB

- Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo processor T7200 (2.00 GHz)
- 14.1" WXGA BrightView Widescreen (1280x800)
- 128MB NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) Go 7200
- HP IMPRINT Finish + Microphone + Webcam
- 1.0GB DDR2 SDRAM (2x512MB)
- 120 GB 5400 RPM SATA Hard Drive
- LightScribe Super Multi 8X DVD+/-RW w/Double Layer
- Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network w/Bluetooth
- Extra 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
That's a rockin lil notebook you got there. For office apps, the 4mb cache will help speed things up while youre actually in Excel manipulating the database, or in Word using the thesaurus. The ram will primarily make things load alot faster.

For office productivity though, that notebook there just can't be beat. If you can upgrade the ram to 2gigs later, thats great. If not, then no big loss.

old_times

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
That's a rockin lil notebook you got there. For office apps, the 4mb cache will help speed things up while youre actually in Excel manipulating the database, or in Word using the thesaurus. The ram will primarily make things load alot faster.

For office productivity though, that notebook there just can't be beat. If you can upgrade the ram to 2gigs later, thats great. If not, then no big loss.

Well my inner child :? wanted to get 2 GB of memory but it came down to "Do I need it"?

When you run Win XP and let's say MS office 2007 suite and a couple of browser and maybe the Media play in the background, do you saturate 1 GB of memory?! How does L2 cache comes to play??

because as far as I remember it only stores most recently used instructions no matter how big the file is.