Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Can it be my PSU?

Last response: in Components
Share
August 7, 2012 1:56:57 AM

Hi,

I have encountered many technical problems with my 5years old PC in the past and solved it by myself. In this one I already need help.

My computer detects everything except my monitor.

At first I tried clearing the CMOS and it worked, then I repeated the process the next time I turn on my PC then it does not work.

I tried a new battery still doesn't work. I removed the new battery and forgot to return the old one which is still at 3v when I tested it.

I turned on my computer w/o a battery and it was able to detect the monitor and everything seems to be fine.

I did not use my PC for a week when this occured, back then it was stable exept for the PSU. It produces buzzing noise under heavy load/gaming(BF3), I'm sure it is not the fan. Also I cannot turn off the PSU's switch no matter how hard I press it.

I also felt ground on my chassis even when turned off which is a first for 5yrs. (I am using surge protector's switch to cut off its power because PSU's switch does not work)

SPECS:
CPU: Q9650
MOBO: P5E3 Premium x48
GC: GTX 295
PSU: HX1000
Storage: OCZ Vertex 3, WD Velociraptor
OS: Win 7 64bit

More about : psu

a c 157 ) Power supply
August 7, 2012 2:24:44 AM

What exactly do you mean when you say you feel 'ground' on your chassis? Do you get a minor electrical shock? Just the fact that you can no longer turn off your PSU with the toggle switch would be enough for me to replace the PSU... iregardless of of the other issue.
August 7, 2012 7:20:38 AM

Not exactly an electrical shock, I just felt the current flow in my hand when I touched the outside of my case like a vibration also not static.
Related resources
a c 157 ) Power supply
August 7, 2012 5:13:42 PM

I'm not going to speak to the minitor not showing up. That could be a driver issue, the card failing, or the motherboard has issues. But on the case of the PSU...

I'm assuming you are referring to a tingle of low voltage. If your PSU is 'leaking' to ground, do not use it. Replace it. If, on the otherhand, you are feeling a vibration from a bad fan bearing, then it's not an electrical problem. But it is a sign of imminent failure. Is your PC plugged into a properly grounded electrical outlet? If you use U.S. type outlets/voltage in your area, get one of these and plug it into the outlet to test it. You can find them at any hdwr store.
http://www.amazon.com/GE-50542-Receptacle-Improper-Indi...
August 8, 2012 1:49:47 AM

Yes its that tingle of low voltage. I will be getting a new PSU and hope everything turns out right. Thank you for your help CLUTCHC.

BTW I was able to operate it with the battery and longer duration of clearing the cmos and ran OOCT.
Here are the voltages:

11.87v - +12v
4.63v - +5v
3.08v - +3.3v
August 9, 2012 7:51:53 AM

This is the one producing the sound:




Yes I need a new PSU. Thank you for the help.
!