Pc not connecting to internet. why?

imdyinhere

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
OK, heres the deal. I had a computer that i sold to a friend. It was great to me but i upgraded and built a great gaming rig and my buddy neede one so i sold it to him. I reformatted the hdd and reinstalled windows 7 32 bit so he could start from scratch and do whatever he wanted. After the installation, i downloaded all the updates for him (from my connection) and he took it home.

Now he cannot connect to the internet at home. He and I both have U-verse. we have tried everything from renewing the IP address, the network troubleshooter in windows and even reinstalling drivers and such from motherboard website. I am at a total loss here and now I feel bad about it and really want to try to help him. He has a laptop which connects no problem using the same cable. Also, the pc says it is connected but he has no internet access.

Please help. He uses the 2-Wire modem supplied by AT&T. Its and Asrock n68s-ucc motherboard. Fresh install of Windows 7 32 bit.

Thanks.

Imdy

Solution

If it seems to be connected through wireless yet denies him Web access, he may be using the wrong security key. He should have kept a note of it when he connected his laptop so tell him to check the key and use the correct one.

imdyinhere

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
Its not a wirelss connection. Both computers are hardwired. The laptop was used as a back up and has no issues connecting. The desktop with the new version of Windows 7 is the culprit here.

This might happen if Windows Updates sneaks in a new driver for the network adapter which makes it fall over. Check that in Device Manager first.

If that isn't the case, ask him to hit his Windows key and R together and in the Open box, type cmd /k /ipconfig /all (including all the spaces) and hit Enter. Right click anywhere in the black form and click on Select All then hit Enter to place the entire contents in the clipboard.

Post it all back here using Control V to paste it into a Reply form

amillz88

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
Hi ok Im pretty much having the exact same problem with my pc. I bought it from some one who had updated it and had everything working fine on his connection but when I tried to hardwire it to mine same exact problem. We are both running ATT so I really dont think its the service provider I think its stupid windows 7. Ive tried everything I could find on the internet regarding this problem, but most people say its a rouge program that they just uninstalled and everything worked fine. However there is absolutely nothing installed and I even turned off the windows firewall and setting the LAN settings correctly still no bueno. Says its connected but not data flow no browsing. I have dont the ipconfig and here are the specs
AMD Athlon II X24400e processor 2.70 GHz
4. gb ram
32-bit op system
And its windows 7 as well
C:\Users\Admin>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Admin-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-25-22-45-34-AB
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::d843:c53f:a99:7898%11(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.3(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, April 29, 2011 4:22:36 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, April 30, 2011 4:22:36 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 234890530
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-15-2E-DC-E0-00-25-22-45-34-AB

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{B6B92494-BD74-409F-9E8A-6A29E887B6CB}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e76:185c:7be:b4ca:71bb(Prefe
rred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::185c:7be:b4ca:71bb%13(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

C:\Users\Admin>
Please help xD