Removing directory entries for zero-length files

I have just been cleaning up my son's computer system, which was
infested with all sorts of virtual creepy-crawlies. After reinstalling
XP, everything now works, but there are a number of directories that I
would like to get rid of (mainly old personas in the Documents and
Settings hierarchy) which have one or more zero-length files in them.
When I try to delete either the files or the directory trees, I get an
error which says that the file can't be found (perfectly true, but not
helpful!). What am I missing?

Please respond to the Newsgroup, so that others may benefit from the exchange.
Peter R. Fletcher

See Help and Support and search for "take ownership"

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308421

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Peter R. Fletcher" <pfletch(at)fletchers(hyphen)uk.com> wrote in message news:usv0q09a77krdm4ibtd083gkf13ree4rh0@4ax.com...
>I have just been cleaning up my son's computer system, which was
> infested with all sorts of virtual creepy-crawlies. After reinstalling
> XP, everything now works, but there are a number of directories that I
> would like to get rid of (mainly old personas in the Documents and
> Settings hierarchy) which have one or more zero-length files in them.
> When I try to delete either the files or the directory trees, I get an
> error which says that the file can't be found (perfectly true, but not
> helpful!). What am I missing?
>
> Please respond to the Newsgroup, so that others may benefit from the exchange.
> Peter R. Fletcher

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 12:27:03 -0500, "Doug Knox MS-MVP"
<dknox@mvps.org> wrote:

>See Help and Support and search for "take ownership"
>
>HOW TO: Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
>http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308421

I'm sorry , but I don't think that's relevant. I have no difficulty
deleting anything in these directory trees except the zero-length
entries, and I am not getting "Access denied" errors but "File not
Found" (which I am sure is correct, since I assume that there is only
a (spurious) directory entry, with no corresponding file).