Closed Solved

SLI...buy one card now one later?

Its been a few years since I looked into it but If I buy a GPU and want to buy another later,
can I run em SLI, or is it about buying them at the same time to have the serial numbers together?

Thx
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about card later
  1. No infact thats what alot of people do, buy now buy another later. Instead of buy now buy. i mean if you want the performance now, its buy now now, but i buyed now and got another a few months ago.
  2. Rockdpm said:
    No infact thats what alot of people do, buy now buy another later. Instead of buy now buy. i mean if you want the performance now, its buy now now, but i buyed now and got another a few months ago.

Thats good either SLI or Crossfire though right?
  3. Best answer
    Yes, SLi requires the same card ( I'm nearly sure ), and Crossfire requires a card from the same family (any 69xx card with work with another 69xx) but will run at the frequency of the slowest.

The only issue is if you buy a reference card with stock frequency of say 800 MHz, don't invest in a second one with a higher core frequency unless you have room to overclock the first to the same clocks.
  4. joedjnpc said:
    Yes, SLi requires the same card ( I'm nearly sure ), and Crossfire requires a card from the same family (any 69xx card with work with another 69xx) but will run at the frequency of the slowest.

The only issue is if you buy a reference card with stock frequency of say 800 MHz, don't invest in a second one with a higher core frequency unless you have room to overclock the first to the same clocks.

Alright cool guys thx for the info.
  5. first buy the one single graphics card then see what the single card can do if it gives a better performance then buy another one after few months or maybe years no need to buy now both the cards because it didnt worth to buy both now.
  6. Best answer selected by Eastwood7.
  7. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards GPUs SLI Graphics