Sign in with
Your question

Dual Monitor HDMI Questions

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 16, 2012 12:34:16 PM

I am connecting my 560ti to my TV via HDMI. I was able to get it to mirror my monitor all fine, but I don't want my video card to have to send out to both displays at the same time (I am guessing it will make more work for the card, increasing temps) so my first question is this. When my TV is on a different input, is the card still thinking it is sending out to the TV? If it is, is there a way in Win 7 to just switch displays rather than mirror?

My second question is this. Is there a way to get sound to both at the same time? Right now, I have to go into my sounds settings and keep changing my default between my PC and TV.

I would like this to be as seemless as possible. In an ideal situation, I turn my TV to the input it just works with sound and all, and when not on that input, my video card just thinks there is only one display.

Thanks in advance.
a b U Graphics card
February 16, 2012 12:54:05 PM

Try this:

Press your windows button + P at the same time. Set it to "extended display". That should help you.

With windows key + P you can set it to multiple settings.
m
l
Related resources
February 16, 2012 2:33:26 PM

Will the Windows+P work on a desktop? I am using the 560ti DVI out for my monitor, and the mini-HDMI for my TV. Will that switch still work? My biggest concern is I just don't want the video card doing the work of two displays when I am using only one at a time.

Thanks for the responses.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 16, 2012 2:41:48 PM

h0sti1e17 said:
Will the Windows+P work on a desktop? I am using the 560ti DVI out for my monitor, and the mini-HDMI for my TV. Will that switch still work? My biggest concern is I just don't want the video card doing the work of two displays when I am using only one at a time.

Thanks for the responses.

Yes it works on all version of windows 7.

I just tried it out now - turned off 1 monitor, turned off both, extended them both, no issues :) 
m
l
!