Sign in with
Your question

<$800 Budget Gaming Build

Last response: in Systems
April 24, 2012 8:42:46 PM

Intel
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

Approximate Purchase Date: End of May-Early June

Budget Range: <$800

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming and Browsing at the same time.

Parts Required: Everything

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, Amazon (USA)

Overclocking: No

Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1080p 23" LCD Monitor @ 1920x1080 Resolution - Has an HDMI port.

Additional Comments:

Want to FULLY Max: Diablo 3, Dota 2, HoN, LoL, and Torchlight 2.

Question: Is the moba appropriate? How well can I multitask with the cpu when I browse the internet+listen to songs+vent/skype while playing a game?
a c 118 B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
April 24, 2012 9:15:44 PM

Its acceptable, and yes it should max the games you mentioned, however if you can't afford an i5, personally I'd take a Phenom II 965 quad core over a dual core i3. But thats my opinion.

m
l
April 24, 2012 9:18:52 PM

nekulturny said:
Its acceptable, and yes it should max the games you mentioned, however if you can't afford an i5, personally I'd take a Phenom II 965 quad core over a dual core i3. But thats my opinion.

How long will the i3-2120 last? I mean, I play on only playing the games mentioned. Also, I don't plan on overclocking. That's why I'm not going with a 965 phenom and 2500k which needs a cooler which costs more $...

Apparently this asrock h61 moba will be able to utilize IB cpu's with a bios update. Can anyone confirm?
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
April 24, 2012 9:43:10 PM

I BF3 on a 2.66 core 2 duo (4GB RAM and 6770 GPU) with TeamSpeak running without issue, however tabbing out to browse makes it unplayable when I come back in. Other games tho don't seem to be a problem tho tabbing out and back.

This i3 should be able to do what you're asking.

Looks like ASRock will have an IB bios update but I can't prove it at the moment. If so, doubling down on the CPU when you get some cash later on could could carry you pretty far.
m
l
April 24, 2012 9:50:45 PM

So the i3-2120 will be good to go for my purposes? I won't be playing incredibly intensive games like BF3. Just the games listed above. I play HoN a lot of my laptop and I alt-tab out w/ no slow down whatsoever with a video card.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
April 24, 2012 10:19:37 PM

GuruMenace said:
How long will the i3-2120 last? I mean, I play on only playing the games mentioned. Also, I don't plan on overclocking. That's why I'm not going with a 965 phenom and 2500k which needs a cooler which costs more $...

Apparently this asrock h61 moba will be able to utilize IB cpu's with a bios update. Can anyone confirm?

How long will it last? Years. Its more a personal preference thing, I think a true quad core is the way to go for a modern system. There are inherent limitations to having less cores, and I expect it will continue as software progresses. As far as overclocking, well, you can't overclock an i3 anyway. You don't have to overclock a Phenom II, but I can say that if you were to set the multiplier on the 965 model to 18.5x (which would bump the clock speed up to 3.7GHZ) that would be the same thing as if you bought the more expensive 980 model, and its perfectly fine to do on the original fan, since both the 965 and the 980 ship with the same cooler.

They say that yes the h61s will work with Ivy Bridges. However, theres not much point of an Ivy Bridge vs a Sandy Bridge, seems like all they've managed to do is get approximately 6 percent of an improvement and a very insignificant decrease in wattage. By insignificant I mean in terms of your electric bill not even a penny a day. And the CPUs run hotter for the trouble.

Go with the i3 if you feel comfortable, yes it will handle your system needs. You could consider a cheaper i5-2300 or 2400, they aren't as expensive as 2500k.
m
l
April 25, 2012 4:19:59 PM

I think I'm going to stick with the i3-2120 and use the few dollars to invest in the 6850 card. I do, however, have another pressing concern.

I'm concerned about Asrock's reliability for mobas. After reading countless reviews from all their budget mobas like the h61 or z68's, a lot of the mobas are DOAs and some of them have parts that don't work or degrade over a few days such as usb slots or audio ports. Some people report (yes multiple reviewers) that the moba will post, but after a day the moba is dead...

I know they are well known for targeting the budget consumers, but honestly I really don't trust them from looking at the reviews. This is my first build and I don't want to put up with a newegg RMA on a shoddy moba since. I've done some thorough research on all my computer parts and they all have solid 5 star reviews excluding the moba and video card.

But after looking through most of the other different mobas from companies like Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, and Biostar, they all have shoddy mobas. So I really don't understand.

Can anyone offer me some advice?

Also, is there any good budget mobas that will allow me to upgrade to IB w/o having to shell out for another moba down the line?
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
April 25, 2012 5:04:16 PM

Asrock originally were a low-dollar subsidiary of Asus, however they are no longer, and have since done pretty well in making a name for themselves. The board I recommended is a pretty decent one for the price. The only real concern I have with it is the warranty. Asrock is a lot more stingy with their warranties than other companies.

The problem with newegg reviews is a lot of people dont know what they're talking about, they have a problem and blame the product rather than their own lack of knowledge. As far as all of the brands having shoddy, well, all of them make budget boards, with lower Quality control and components.

As far as the H61/H67s, I'd look at the age of some of those reviews, there was a recall on them originally. The fault lay actually with Intel they screwed something up on those chipsets, it has since been fixed.

yes its asrock, but this is a decent board

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
April 25, 2012 7:40:47 PM

Z68 does indeed support Ivy Bridge. So do some H61/67s, I don't know about that one though. Its your choice, they're all adequate boards. Z77 is the new chipset, in light of the embarrassment Intel had with the original H61/67s I'd be reluctant to be one of the first to try out their new chipset.
m
l
April 25, 2012 7:44:42 PM

nekulturny said:
Z68 does indeed support Ivy Bridge. So do some H61/67s, I don't know about that one though. Its your choice, they're all adequate boards. Z77 is the new chipset, in light of the embarrassment Intel had with the original H61/67s I'd be reluctant to be one of the first to try out their new chipset.

Hmm, I guess I should go with the z68 extreme 3. I heard this moba has some unusual dimensions though.
m
l
!