Sign in with
Your question

Cleaning the graphics card board?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 16, 2012 3:38:33 PM

For those who have seen my post in a different area, long story short: Sprite was spilled through the top of the case, and onto the gpu (NVIDIA 570), immediately shutting down my system. I let it set for about 36 hours and after pulling the gpu, she lit up for about 1/10 of a second then immediately shut back down.

There is a bit of residue scattered across the 570's circuit board, so what is the best way to clean that off? I'm also going to run over the motherboard with some cleaner (assuming the same type would be safe as they're both circuit boards), because even though I didnt see any residue, there's a decent chance some got splattered in there (as my computer did shut back down). Any advice/tactics please, as I've never gone about this before

More about : cleaning graphics card board

February 16, 2012 3:54:30 PM

Wow. That sucks.

Honestly, I think you just destroyed your system. Sprite is not just water, it contains TONS of chemicals and other stuff not meant to be in contact with electronics.

BUT, I think your best chance is to use isopropyl alcohol and que-tips. Try to find the closest you can to 100% isopropyl alcohol.

Good Luck.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 16, 2012 4:06:20 PM

Ouch, big no no. I learned my lesson long ago after spilling tea on my hardwood floor and it running less than a foot from my computer before i dropper the towel on it. I really don't know what to tell you man, if Sprite is on the PCB (Circuit board), your gonna have to get a new graphics card.
m
l
Related resources
February 16, 2012 4:15:50 PM

The only thing worse would have been Mountain Dew, Monster or just about any of the green ones. At this point you have nothing to lose.

Fair Warning: I haven't done anything like this since the old days of AT keyboards and RLLing MFM HD's so assume it won't work and try all other options first.

Fill a tub with a few inches of warm water, slosh parts until you can't feel sticky stuff anymore. Remove and blow/hang dry for up to a week. Blow dry once more. Attempt to use part.
m
l
February 16, 2012 4:44:28 PM

use denaturalized isopropyl alcohol for cleaning circuits.

Don't think it will help you though(I guess your hardware is dead)
m
l
February 16, 2012 5:06:02 PM

This episode rekindles my vague plan on adding some kind of customized cowling over the top exhaust of my case. My wife sometimes would place a cup filled with water, soda, or coffee on top of the PC, and all the time I just quietly move it to other places, after I told her not to do so in vain. Then I thought of such thing so that at least the front part of the topside will be blocked. Maybe it's a wake-up call for me to execute the plan.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 17, 2012 11:05:21 AM

MKBL said:
This episode rekindles my vague plan on adding some kind of customized cowling over the top exhaust of my case. My wife sometimes would place a cup filled with water, soda, or coffee on top of the PC, and all the time I just quietly move it to other places, after I told her not to do so in vain. Then I thought of such thing so that at least the front part of the topside will be blocked. Maybe it's a wake-up call for me to execute the plan.

Well you could try a new computer case that doesn't have any place to sit your beverage on. but however, as long as one is cautious of where they place drink (not computer tho) the computer will survive.
m
l
February 17, 2012 4:32:33 PM

Yea never been in that situation, may rig is my baby, im still waiting to hear if you get anything at all on the motherboard to work?
m
l
February 17, 2012 7:27:45 PM

I scrubbed it over about half an hour last night and tried it a little bit ago. My case fans constantly light up for about 1/10 of a second then shuts off. This is an improvement (i think) because it used to be completely non-responsive.

if this doesnt work, I'm going to soak it in isopropyl alcohol for a certain amount of time. Does anybody know if there's a limit as to how long I can soak it, or am i good to leave it in there for a day or two?
m
l
!