Computer Freezes!!!

Baalroc

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
Having a problem with computer freezing after varying timeframes. usually happens when running Windows Media Player or Searching through files and folders which are in my playlist... now the playlist has 7k+ music items and is over 25GB of music, but the setup should be able to chew it up and spit it out without any difficulties, or so I thought.

Setup is as follow:

- AMD Athlon 64 X2 - 3800+ (Socket AM2)
- ECS C51GM-M v1.0 Socket AM2, NVIDIA GeForce 6100 Chipset, w/ PCI Express x16 (mATX)
- 160GB Maxtor DiamondMax 10 SATA2-300 7200RPM 8Mb
- 1Gb DDR2 PC6400
-Asus Extreme EN6200TC256/TD - GeForce 6200 GPU w/64Mb DDR & PCI Express x16

pretty basic setup: HD is partitioned into 2 drives, C: contains the music database and D: contains the OS(Windows XP Pro), NTFS file system on both drives. the onboard Video for the motherboard has been disables as it was shared and did not want to sacrifice the RAM. all windows updates are complete(as far as I know). now I only have a 350W power supply in the system, which I think should be enough, however I'm not 100% sure of the power demands of the AM2 M/B's or processors, so any info about that would be nice. The system is pretty barebones. just the OS and the music files as it will be used to access the music files, just needs to be able to access quickly. other than that there is nothing too special to the system, just keeps crashing after running down the playlist, may get 3 songs in, may get 17... but after that it crashes.... any ideas :?