Sign in with
Your question

Antec ISK 300-150

Last response: in Systems
April 24, 2012 10:24:23 PM

Hi all, earlier this year i got rid of my gaming pc and built myself a HTPC which i really like, specs as follows.

Antec ISK 300-150 with the stock 150w psu
Asus P8H61-i motherboard
2 x 2 gig sticks of 1333 ram
Intel i3 2105 processer
samsung 2.5inch sata laptop drive (630 gig if i remember right)
Panasonic slimline dvd drive and most the time have a samsung external blu ray drive connected
An Edimax usb wifi dongle connected all the while

Does anyone else here in the forums have the same case with similar specs/requirements that has also fitted in a low profile graphics card?
Im debating on wether to build a new system in a case that can hold a greater power psu or to attempt running a graphics card with the above build, but i know i will be pushing the 150w psu if not passing its power completely.

I have two cards in mind, my first choice would be http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1... but i really think that may be too much for the psu. My second choice would be http://www.dabs.com/products/asus-ati-radeon-6570-hd-65... which i think would be a better option as it requires less power (44 tdp as apposed to 6670 with 66 tdp).

So as i say anyone running the same case with a similar setup or anybody with opinions?

More about : antec isk 300 150

a b B Homebuilt system
April 24, 2012 10:42:19 PM

To be honest I think 44W would even be pushing it a bit, I wouldn't recommend adding a graphics card to that system at all.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 25, 2012 12:09:41 AM

I'm kicking around turning my ISK into a little gamer too... though I'm waiting for Ivy Bridge to become available. It's too bad they haven't release any low profile HD7750's yet. They draw less than the HD6670's.

Here's a guy with a i3-2125 and the Sapphire HD6670 you're looking at:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1038499163

Later in the thread, he swapped out the power supply. Not because it couldn't power the system, but because the fan was too loud.

Do yourself a favor an go to home depot and buy a kill-a-watt meter. See what your pulling from the wall right now. From other ISK builds I've read about, I'd put you at around 60-70W on load. You should have enough headroom for a video card.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
April 25, 2012 12:44:58 AM

Yeah I think typical load with the card would be around 110-120W or something, max load would be around 150W though. That would be pushing the PSU very hard.
April 25, 2012 2:07:03 PM

rwpritchett said:
I'm kicking around turning my ISK into a little gamer too... though I'm waiting for Ivy Bridge to become available. It's too bad they haven't release any low profile HD7750's yet. They draw less than the HD6670's.

Here's a guy with a i3-2125 and the Sapphire HD6670 you're looking at:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1038499163

Later in the thread, he swapped out the power supply. Not because it couldn't power the system, but because the fan was too loud.

Do yourself a favor an go to home depot and buy a kill-a-watt meter. See what your pulling from the wall right now. From other ISK builds I've read about, I'd put you at around 60-70W on load. You should have enough headroom for a video card.

Hi thanks for that link, was ome good info there, didnt find that one on my numerous Google searches lol

I bought a power meter after work today so going to do some testing with my system as it is before i decide what to get, i can tell you that with the specs in my OP and being on this website typing this i am idling at 35 watts or thereabout, pretty low :) 

I will report back with some other wattages after some testing incase it may help any others in the future.
April 25, 2012 3:41:19 PM

Ok, here are some wattage results after some various testing with my system as in the original post.

Idle 35w
Watching a BluRay 43w
Ran AVG scan, Malwarebytes scan, plugged in BluRay drive, external usb powered 500gig hard drive and ran a film with VLC player 52w
Convert a VIDEO_TS folder to an MP4 file using Handbrake (cpu meter on windows desktop showing 99% load) 71w
Ran champions online game with high settings using HD 3000 onboard graphics 91w

The wattages i have but were the max i saw them reach, there was obviously slight fluctuations below those numbers.

So im thinking that by adding a discrete graphics card and connecting my HDMI cable to it (thereby disabling the HD 3000?) i should have enough headroom to run the HD 6670 low profile and still get some where between 120w-140w power draw which would be safe if probably a little loud.

Do any of you guys think i would have any bottleknecking issues with the i3 2105 + HD 6670 low profile setup, baring in mind i would probably stick to more frames per second friendly graphics settings in games rather than trying to push the system, and mainly only playing MMO style games?
a b B Homebuilt system
April 25, 2012 7:45:37 PM

So long as you're happy with medium-ish settings I think you will be OK.
May 2, 2012 10:50:53 PM

Hi again, ok so i bought and installed a sapphire hd 6670 low profile card and installed the drivers etc and all runs well, a little bit noisier but i can definately live with it, but i have a weird problem, ever since i installed the graphics card i can not enter bios, if i press the delete key which i used to press to enter bios it simply reboots the pc to the post screen again then loads into windows. Aside from that everything is working fine, i played the original Crysis on very high settings to test it, it was a little jittery but definately playable and my system pulled a max draw from the socket of 115w which im happy with.

If anyone can shed some light on my bios issue i would gratefully appreciate it.
a b B Homebuilt system
May 2, 2012 11:30:54 PM

What's your entire parts list?

Also, what were you doing when it was reading 115W? Playing Crysis?

Don't know about the BIOS problem...
May 3, 2012 12:02:53 AM

Parts list the same as in my original post + a Sapphire HD 6770 low profile graphics card. Yes at 115w playing crysis first level on very high settings, im happy with 115w as its a 150w psu with apparently about 70% efficiency so that would put me at a safe level i hope.

I am going to up date my bios as there is a more recent version, as i say everything works perfectly in windows, but for some reason, on the post screen when i press delete to enter bios it just reboots back to the post screen. I removed the graphics card and went back to integrated graphics and was then able to enter bios as normal, and i checked to make sure igpu/peg was selected in bios which i believe is correct for when you have a graphics card inserted
a b B Homebuilt system
May 3, 2012 12:13:39 AM

How bad is the 150W PSU fan noise while gaming?

I'm still waiting for a low profile 7750 :( 
May 3, 2012 8:20:11 AM

Its no louder than my Xbox 360 elite lol
!