Antec ISK 300-150

Hi all, earlier this year i got rid of my gaming pc and built myself a HTPC which i really like, specs as follows.

Antec ISK 300-150 with the stock 150w psu
Asus P8H61-i motherboard
2 x 2 gig sticks of 1333 ram
Intel i3 2105 processer
samsung 2.5inch sata laptop drive (630 gig if i remember right)
Panasonic slimline dvd drive and most the time have a samsung external blu ray drive connected
An Edimax usb wifi dongle connected all the while

Does anyone else here in the forums have the same case with similar specs/requirements that has also fitted in a low profile graphics card?
Im debating on wether to build a new system in a case that can hold a greater power psu or to attempt running a graphics card with the above build, but i know i will be pushing the 150w psu if not passing its power completely.

I have two cards in mind, my first choice would be http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=1088&pid=1352&psn=&lid=1 but i really think that may be too much for the psu. My second choice would be http://www.dabs.com/products/asus-ati-radeon-6570-hd-650mhz-1gb-pci-express-hdmi-low-profile-7J2J.html which i think would be a better option as it requires less power (44 tdp as apposed to 6670 with 66 tdp).

So as i say anyone running the same case with a similar setup or anybody with opinions?
11 answers Last reply
More about antec
  1. To be honest I think 44W would even be pushing it a bit, I wouldn't recommend adding a graphics card to that system at all.
  2. I'm kicking around turning my ISK into a little gamer too... though I'm waiting for Ivy Bridge to become available. It's too bad they haven't release any low profile HD7750's yet. They draw less than the HD6670's.

Here's a guy with a i3-2125 and the Sapphire HD6670 you're looking at:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1038499163

Later in the thread, he swapped out the power supply. Not because it couldn't power the system, but because the fan was too loud.

Do yourself a favor an go to home depot and buy a kill-a-watt meter. See what your pulling from the wall right now. From other ISK builds I've read about, I'd put you at around 60-70W on load. You should have enough headroom for a video card.
  3. Yeah I think typical load with the card would be around 110-120W or something, max load would be around 150W though. That would be pushing the PSU very hard.
  4. rwpritchett said:
    I'm kicking around turning my ISK into a little gamer too... though I'm waiting for Ivy Bridge to become available. It's too bad they haven't release any low profile HD7750's yet. They draw less than the HD6670's.

Here's a guy with a i3-2125 and the Sapphire HD6670 you're looking at:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1038499163

Later in the thread, he swapped out the power supply. Not because it couldn't power the system, but because the fan was too loud.

Do yourself a favor an go to home depot and buy a kill-a-watt meter. See what your pulling from the wall right now. From other ISK builds I've read about, I'd put you at around 60-70W on load. You should have enough headroom for a video card.

Hi thanks for that link, was ome good info there, didnt find that one on my numerous Google searches lol

I bought a power meter after work today so going to do some testing with my system as it is before i decide what to get, i can tell you that with the specs in my OP and being on this website typing this i am idling at 35 watts or thereabout, pretty low :)

I will report back with some other wattages after some testing incase it may help any others in the future.
  5. Ok, here are some wattage results after some various testing with my system as in the original post.

Idle 35w
    Watching a BluRay 43w
    Ran AVG scan, Malwarebytes scan, plugged in BluRay drive, external usb powered 500gig hard drive and ran a film with VLC player 52w
    Convert a VIDEO_TS folder to an MP4 file using Handbrake (cpu meter on windows desktop showing 99% load) 71w
    Ran champions online game with high settings using HD 3000 onboard graphics 91w

The wattages i have but were the max i saw them reach, there was obviously slight fluctuations below those numbers.

So im thinking that by adding a discrete graphics card and connecting my HDMI cable to it (thereby disabling the HD 3000?) i should have enough headroom to run the HD 6670 low profile and still get some where between 120w-140w power draw which would be safe if probably a little loud.

Do any of you guys think i would have any bottleknecking issues with the i3 2105 + HD 6670 low profile setup, baring in mind i would probably stick to more frames per second friendly graphics settings in games rather than trying to push the system, and mainly only playing MMO style games?
  6. So long as you're happy with medium-ish settings I think you will be OK.
  7. Hi again, ok so i bought and installed a sapphire hd 6670 low profile card and installed the drivers etc and all runs well, a little bit noisier but i can definately live with it, but i have a weird problem, ever since i installed the graphics card i can not enter bios, if i press the delete key which i used to press to enter bios it simply reboots the pc to the post screen again then loads into windows. Aside from that everything is working fine, i played the original Crysis on very high settings to test it, it was a little jittery but definately playable and my system pulled a max draw from the socket of 115w which im happy with.

If anyone can shed some light on my bios issue i would gratefully appreciate it.
  8. What's your entire parts list?

Also, what were you doing when it was reading 115W? Playing Crysis?

Don't know about the BIOS problem...
  9. Parts list the same as in my original post + a Sapphire HD 6770 low profile graphics card. Yes at 115w playing crysis first level on very high settings, im happy with 115w as its a 150w psu with apparently about 70% efficiency so that would put me at a safe level i hope.

I am going to up date my bios as there is a more recent version, as i say everything works perfectly in windows, but for some reason, on the post screen when i press delete to enter bios it just reboots back to the post screen. I removed the graphics card and went back to integrated graphics and was then able to enter bios as normal, and i checked to make sure igpu/peg was selected in bios which i believe is correct for when you have a graphics card inserted
  10. How bad is the 150W PSU fan noise while gaming?

I'm still waiting for a low profile 7750 :(
  11. Its no louder than my Xbox 360 elite lol
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Antec Systems