Sign in with
Your question

Sandy Bridge vs Ivy Bridge

Last response: in CPUs
August 7, 2012 8:37:08 AM

Hey!
I'm building a new PC and I have wondered whether I should go for either the Intel i7 3700k or the Intel i7 3820? Bare in mind that I will be overclocking as I'm getting a good CPU cooler and good Motherboard.
a b à CPUs
August 7, 2012 1:27:14 PM

If you want extreme oc (5GHz+) then stick with SB. For up to 4.5GHz or so, IB is good as the temps are reasonable. Raw difference between the two is about 5%, but IB has native support for the later standards such as USB 3.0, PCIe 3.0, etc. and it runs at lower power stock frequency.
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
August 7, 2012 1:30:59 PM

For gaming, neither. an i5 is sufficient. What are you doing with this computer?
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
August 7, 2012 2:48:54 PM

I say stay away from ivy bridge and this is why:

http://giatrakis.wix.com/john-giatrakis#!home/mainPage

fazers_on_stun also has some good points and his view point will be added to the above link as soon as possible but i have to tell you the test was made to your cpu didn't even close to 79 watts + some dimms let's say you were arround 80 watts heat load, not yet verified, for an 20 c ambient, that can not yet verified either. Comparing the temps with the system running at 423 watts heat load is another big story.

To the op i say go with i7 3820 with 10 MBytes cache you will rock with this processor but have in mind it runs in 130 watts fully powered and you will need a really good cooler, is a fluxed solder processor and indigo extreme as thermal paste is the best choise you can make. In ivy LGA 2011 motherboards you will have USB 3.0, PCIe 3.0 anyway.
m
l
Anonymous
August 7, 2012 4:34:41 PM

Quote:
3770K beats the 3820... (gaming I take it is most important)
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/551?vs=523

and the price difference of LGA 2011 vs LGA 1155 is not worth it.

FYI
this is Ivy Bridge vs SB-E..

Is these serius diffrencies that the op can't overcome with far more better OC he can do with 3820?

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ivy-bridge-benchmar...

"Our boxed Core i7-2700K hit a more aggressive frequency, nearly matching the -3770K’s performance in the process"

Why to stay to LGA 1155 as he can upgrade to the next generation processors if he likes without changing motherboard again? he can shell the cpu only and get a newone much better anyway..
m
l
Anonymous
August 7, 2012 4:43:32 PM

With an fx 4100 and a good graphics card someone can hit more than 100 fps in some benchmarks.

Even when i giving a why he can never play with 100 fps in the games:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_rate

They continue posting data like they are really important.....

He go to the next 'latest' faster and easier than anyone if likes....
m
l
Anonymous
August 7, 2012 5:10:04 PM

What part do you need to explain better?

The in what screen analysis, settings in card he can do that? In sort terms if he lower the quality evrything to the middle he can get +10 fps from the card and from the processor a 19% upgrade speed can give what +2 +3 fps in what screen analysis?.....

The eye can see even 200 fps the problem is the BRAIN how much will choose to process or to dumpe as waste, not to mention some games are coming locked in 60 fps because of than and you do nothing.....

OR The He can shell only the cpu and upgrate to the 'new' upcoming processor faster than you that you will shell cpu, motherboard, the grapnics card just to get to pci-e 3 that he can play allready...
m
l
Anonymous
August 7, 2012 5:32:35 PM

Read it more carefull again

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_rate

Give your version of the story in sort terms.

Other than trolling crap (excuse me..) just to solve the gamming issue..
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 7, 2012 6:56:45 PM

OK, cutting through the FUD, here's the facts:

Quote:

Quote:
So, while it’s unclear how much truth is behind early reports that Ivy Bridge-based processors aren’t overclocking well, our own experiences in the lab certainly indicate a lack of consistency. Between three editors currently working with Core i7-3770K CPUs, two are able to hit 4.7 GHz and one saw frequencies as high as 4.9 GHz on air and using BIOS-specified voltages between 1.3 and 1.35 V. Curiously, though they seem to run Prime95 and Linpack without protest for hours on end, certain applications in our benchmark suite (mainly, 3ds Max) take these chips down within seconds. Achieving stability required dropping to 4.5, 4.5, and 4.77 GHz on our three samples.

Under normal loads (gaming, etc) at stock frequency my 3770K does not get 20 degrees Celsius above ambient - more like 10 degrees or less. I've been running it at a mild oc (4GHz) with no problems for a couple months now, on a Zalman CNPS 9900 air cooler, which keeps it cool and quiet.
m
l
Anonymous
August 7, 2012 7:47:59 PM

fazers_on_stun said:

Quote:

Quote:
So, while it’s unclear how much truth is behind early reports that Ivy Bridge-based processors aren’t overclocking well, our own experiences in the lab certainly indicate a lack of consistency. Between three editors currently working with Core i7-3770K CPUs, two are able to hit 4.7 GHz and one saw frequencies as high as 4.9 GHz on air and using BIOS-specified voltages between 1.3 and 1.35 V. Curiously, though they seem to run Prime95 and Linpack without protest for hours on end, certain applications in our benchmark suite (mainly, 3ds Max) take these chips down within seconds. Achieving stability required dropping to 4.5, 4.5, and 4.77 GHz on our three samples.

Under normal loads (gaming, etc) at stock frequency my 3770K does not get 20 degrees Celsius above ambient - more like 10 degrees or less. I've been running it at a mild oc (4GHz) with no problems for a couple months now, on a Zalman CNPS 9900 air cooler, which keeps it cool and quiet.
Quote:

This is untill 1 game will thought to you 4 threads and 60 fps running speed, like driving a race car, then your cpu will be fully activated at 79 watts and as the graphic part is build in inside the chip will blow your temps high sky to 90 c due to a thinner road to your cpu cooler even indigo extream can't help you..

With 3820 even in 130 watts NH-D14 can make it and with indigo extream he will be idling 4.5 Ghz at the ambient temprature. He dosen't need intel speed step or other 'help' full vdrop services this is the benefeet he get's even in 35 c ambient temprature.
m
l
a c 190 à CPUs
August 7, 2012 7:56:43 PM

I am running my Intel® Core™ i5-3570K as my work computer at 4.2GHz for 2 months now and haven't had any issues with it. The Intel Core i7-3820 is a nice processor but offers nothing over the Intel Core i7-3770K until you reach one of the few applications that can tap into the quad channel memory.

m
l
Anonymous
August 7, 2012 8:30:09 PM

Just because you all buyed a cpu that can operate barely in 20 c environments. Is this mean that the op must follow?

What are the features of this chip if it can't handle cpu + gpu +ram overload in quad memory channel or not? the myth of multi, hyper threading is gone.

The op must move to Russia, Sweden, Noreg, Canada just because took a new cpu or forced to work in a mode “i can't play this, I can’t run the other"

In England may stops to rain all the time btw you know is not 100% safe…..
m
l
Anonymous
August 7, 2012 8:46:52 PM

Maybe just for once you are right!

But when I seen the "until you reach one of the few applications that can tap into the quad channel memory." something inside me started screaming!

What else I will see from these chips I mean I had enough..
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 7, 2012 9:04:37 PM

Anonymous said:
Maybe just for once you are right!

But when I seen the "until you reach one of the few applications that can tap into the quad channel memory." something inside me started screaming!

What else I will see from these chips I mean I had enough..

Why are u so pessimistic?

I build 3 PC's with IB CPU OC'd and nobody called me back with temp problem yet.

I don't see other people posting here with overheating problems, unless they have done something wrong on their part, like using stock cooler and OC some.

And this is the place, where people come for advice a lot.

m
l
a b à CPUs
August 7, 2012 9:37:36 PM

nikorr said:

I build 3 PC's with IB CPU OC'd and nobody called me back with temp problem yet.

I don't see other people posting here with overheating problems, unless they have done something wrong on their part, like using stock cooler and OC some.

+1 to this
I'm currently running an i5 3570K @ 4.2GHz (1.192V) with an ambient of around 21C. During max load, I have yet to pass 60C. Every chip is different; some can achieve higher overclocks with relatively low voltage.

@SN1PER What do you plan on doing with your PC?
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 7, 2012 9:42:23 PM

Quote:
not to too my own horn...... :whistle: 
did you get any assistance with your overclock and system.?
;) 

Yes, can't remember who though. Probably from a different forum :whistle:  :sarcastic: 
m
l
Anonymous
August 7, 2012 9:59:01 PM

nikorr said:

You personally know better than anyone online the air cooling is something like an art to me I can’t cool down this chip and give it go with the tests I’m running bulletproof mode badge.

I hate Intel for that btw Silverstone fixed the heat pipes look the news section…
m
l
a c 480 à CPUs
August 7, 2012 10:01:35 PM

The big advantage of Ivy Bridge is the PCI-e 3.0 compatibility. However, it does not come into play for a couple of more years. Current cards do not use up the PCI-e 2.0 bandwidth. It will probably take another two generations before high-end ($400+) will begin be bottlenecked by the PCI-e 2.0 interface. That would be cards like the "Radeon HD 9950" and the "GTX 870".

If you plan on buying those types of high end cards and you do not plan on upgrading, then I recommend going with IB for PCI-e 3.0. If you are not the type of person who's going to buy a $400+ video card 2 generations from now, then you don't really have anything to worry about.

While an IB CPU cannot OC as high as a SB CPU, it does consume a little less power 15w - 20w and assuming the same clock speed it is also on average about 5% more powerful. So a IB CPU clocked at 4.2GHz is equivalent to a SB CPU clocked at 4.41GHz.

m
l
a b à CPUs
August 7, 2012 10:32:51 PM

It's been proven that you can overclock IVB to 4.8 or 4.9 @ ~1.4V if you delid. With temps under 80C.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 7, 2012 10:33:57 PM

Anonymous said:
You personally know better than anyone online the air cooling is something like an art to me I can’t cool down this chip and give it go with the tests I’m running bulletproof mode badge.

I hate Intel for that btw Silverstone fixed the heat pipes look the news section…

Maybe your chip is bad.
m
l
a c 480 à CPUs
August 7, 2012 10:36:25 PM

Blandge said:
It's been proven that you can overclock IVB to 4.8 or 4.9 @ ~1.4V if you delid. With temps under 80C.

"De-lidding" is not for everyone since the chances of destroying the CPU if you do not know what you are doing is very high. It would also void your warranty.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 7, 2012 10:40:36 PM

jaguarskx said:
"De-lidding" is not for everyone since the chances of destroying the CPU if you do not know what you are doing is very high. It would also void your warranty.

Well if eeking out the last few ounces of performance from your chip isn't important enough for you to try something risky then you probably don't need to overclock to begin with.
m
l
a c 215 à CPUs
August 7, 2012 11:12:01 PM

Delidding falls right into the same category as lapping, it is for when you think you can get the tiniest bit more out, but 99.999% of people won't ever do it, and it isn't a good idea for your average person to attempt. Overclocking these days is pretty safe and non-damaging to the components especially with most boards having built in tools so the average user can do it, delidding and lapping look for a few degrees less but damage the CPU in the process, if you really need those few C less its soooo much easier and safer just to get a better cooler, and that is the approach most people should take.
m
l
a c 992 à CPUs
August 7, 2012 11:12:07 PM

Giatrakis < you need to calm down and let others have a say in the threads.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 7, 2012 11:28:24 PM

Anonymous said:
This is untill 1 game will thought to you 4 threads and 60 fps running speed, like driving a race car, then your cpu will be fully activated at 79 watts and as the graphic part is build in inside the chip will blow your temps high sky to 90 c due to a thinner road to your cpu cooler even indigo extream can't help you..

With 3820 even in 130 watts NH-D14 can make it and with indigo extream he will be idling 4.5 Ghz at the ambient temprature. He dosen't need intel speed step or other 'help' full vdrop services this is the benefeet he get's even in 35 c ambient temprature.

Question: Do you even own an Ivy Bridge CPU? Edit: NVM, I see from your website that you have apparently done some testing on one, or else plagiarized from somebody else's site :p . However I don't get your repeated statements about IB being quad memory channel - it's dual channel.

I bought mine several weeks after the release and have had zero problems with it, as most of the other real-life, actual IB owners here have been attesting. Right now my ambient room temp is 27 degrees C, Asus AI Suite shows CPU temp at 32 degrees and the mobo temp at 31 degrees, all after playing Dragon Age (which uses all 4 cores) for an hour at stock frequency and with the iGPU enabled via Virtu MVP.

While the high temp at extreme oc is a concern, it is not going to affect the 99.9% of users who either don't oc at all or keep it well below the max due to longevity concerns (mainly due to the high core voltage and electromigration worries). Intel has a pretty good throttling routine built in should the CPU overheat..

I'll download Intel's stress test and run it at stock and at 4GHz - supposed to be more stressful than Prime95 as all 4 cores are maxed out at 100% continuously.
m
l
a c 480 à CPUs
August 7, 2012 11:34:57 PM

Blandge said:
Well if eeking out the last few ounces of performance from your chip isn't important enough for you to try something risky then you probably don't need to overclock to begin with.

So by your flawed logic then if you are not willing to de-lid a CPU, then you shouldn't bother overclocking at all.

Tell that to everyone who is overclocking their CPU w/o de-lidding.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 7, 2012 11:46:22 PM

Anonymous said:
Just because you all buyed a cpu that can operate barely in 20 c environments. Is this mean that the op must follow?

What are the features of this chip if it can't handle cpu + gpu +ram overload in quad memory channel or not? the myth of multi, hyper threading is gone.

The op must move to Russia, Sweden, Noreg, Canada just because took a new cpu or forced to work in a mode “i can't play this, I can’t run the other"

In England may stops to rain all the time btw you know is not 100% safe…..

First of all, most of us here don't own Intel or AMD stock, so we could care less what the OP winds up buying. And personally I don't feel any need to justify my purchase - it is a huge upgrade over my old Q6700 rig that sits unused in the basement nowadays.

Ivy Bridge enthusiast class (LGA 2011) won't be out for another year according to the recent roadmaps, and that is the only Intel x86 CPU that supports quad-channel memory besides the current Sandy Bridge E's or Xeons. LGA 1155 desktop rigs are all dual-channel memory, since unless you are running a server or other high bandwidth applications, tests have shown that tri-channel only improves performance by a few percent.

While IB is by no means a knockout home run, it is an improvement over SB in nearly all regards, ranging from slight to significant improvements.

OP: If you're still here and not scared off by the FUD, I suggest you make sure you read all the official reviews of IB and then make up your mind.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 8, 2012 12:15:16 AM

OK, I ran the short (4 minute) version of the stress test at stock 3.5GHz on my 3770K, and the CPU temp increased a whopping 9 degrees, from 31 degrees C to 40 degrees C. That's stressing all 4 cores 100% continuously.

Unfortunately the test won't run the iGPU at the same time unless I hook my monitor to the mobo HDMI output which is what the iGPU is connected to directly. Seems it is not Virtu MVP-aware.

However, as I said previously, I can play Dragon Age for an hour and stay far under 20 degrees over ambient.
m
l
August 8, 2012 2:33:30 AM

Blandge said:

I have to agree with your statement, I for one run my 3770k @4.7 1.3V and 4.9 @ the same voltage
24/7 not a problem at all.
m
l
August 8, 2012 2:44:10 AM

jaguarskx said:
So by your flawed logic then if you are not willing to de-lid a CPU, then you shouldn't bother overclocking at all.

Tell that to everyone who is overclocking their CPU w/o de-lidding.

I will not consider de-lidding and I overclocked my 3770k as soon as it was up and
running.lol
m
l
a c 152 à CPUs
August 8, 2012 3:58:27 AM

I see Gia is once again posting BS about Ivy Bridges. I have to wonder if he even owns or really tested Ivy Bridges CPU's.Like Nikkor I've built a few computers with I5 and I7 Ivy Bridges CPU's and all were overclocked using aftermarket heatsinks and like Nikkor no one has come back complaining of heat problems. If you really are having heat problems you either have a bad CPU or more likley don't know what you are doing.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 8, 2012 12:09:20 PM

Quote:
what cooler you have.?

A Zalman CNPS 9900. Not the world's best but it looks nice and is quiet.. Typical fan speed according to AI Suite is about 3200 rpm.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 8, 2012 12:12:37 PM

rds1220 said:
I see Gia is once again posting BS about Ivy Bridges. I have to wonder if he even owns or really tested Ivy Bridges CPU's.Like Nikkor I've built a few I5 and I7 Ivy Bridges CPU's and all were overclocked using aftermarket heatsinks and like Nikkor no one has come back complaining of heat problems. If you really are having heat problems you either have a bad CPU or more likley don't know what you are doing.

Not exactly sure what is up with that guy. There was another thread recently where he insisted that it was the thunder and not lightning strike itself that would fry your computer, or something like that. I have trouble understanding him but with his being rather aggressive I don't particularly care to try anymore..
m
l
a c 152 à CPUs
August 8, 2012 5:06:55 PM

Me either. The more he post the more I think he really didn't know what he was doing.
m
l
a c 138 à CPUs
August 8, 2012 5:21:21 PM

fazers_on_stun said:
While IB is by no means a knockout home run

If it had been, this would have been contradictory to Intel's announcement of it being merely a die shrink with minor tweaks, updates, '+' IGP and tri-gate CMOS launch.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 8, 2012 6:51:21 PM

InvalidError said:
If it had been, this would have been contradictory to Intel's announcement of it being merely a die shrink with minor tweaks, updates, '+' IGP and tri-gate CMOS launch.

Quite true.

What I find funny in this thread is that Giatrakis, according to his linked website, states he wants to "upgrade" to a Bulldozer due to all the oc heat issues with IB. Apparently he hasn't done much research into just how much of a power hog an overclocked BD can be. While it may not get as hot as an IB, due to being a huge die in comparison, it is going to pump out a lot more heat into his immediate environment :p .. So he is only half right in that regard.
m
l
a c 152 à CPUs
August 8, 2012 10:37:25 PM

I saw that too but didn't even bother arguing the point. I'm pretty sure he made a post trying to argue how the Bulldozer was faster than Sandy Bridges, do I need to say more....
m
l
August 8, 2012 10:48:21 PM

Quote:
or how about the it just feels 'smoother' argument...

:p 

C'mon mine is always smoother than yours :kaola: 
m
l
August 8, 2012 11:02:24 PM

Quote:
but your 3770K @ 4.7GHz moves to fast for me.
:heink: 

That wasn't for my system, That's for everyone who purchased AMD's very smooth
chips.
m
l
August 8, 2012 11:41:09 PM

Quote:
and that's my response for those who do.... :lol: 

Good one :kaola: 
m
l
!