Sign in with
Your question

Can't boot after upgrading CPU

Last response: in CPUs
August 7, 2012 8:49:00 AM

Hey, I just upgraded my CPU from a Phenom II 720 x3 into a FX8120 alongside with adding a new HDD into my system, I switched on my PC after its done but my computer can't boot. It lights up fine and the CPU fan spins as usual but there is nothing on my screen nor are there any beeps/signs of booting up. Did I install my CPU/HDD wrongly? My MOBO should be compatible - Gigabyte MA770T-UD3P. What could be the problem?

Edit: Arg, apparently my MOBO is revision 1.1 which does not support the CPU and only revision 3.1 does. Does that mean I'm out luck and can only get a newer MOBO?

More about : boot upgrading cpu

August 7, 2012 9:03:07 AM

Did you also update your BIOS, beafore you switched the CPU?
m
l
August 7, 2012 9:07:24 AM

Nope I did not update my BIOS
m
l
Related resources
August 7, 2012 9:09:41 AM

Just wondering what BIOS revision you had running before the upgrade. Support for the FX line was added at BIOS revision FDD, anything lower and you may need to update first by popping in your old cpu and updating (easy enough and instructions are in the manual).

m
l
August 7, 2012 9:10:11 AM

Not sure what you mean by BIOS revision, not sure what it is either. So I should just put my old CPU back in and try to upgrade my BIOS version?
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 7, 2012 9:28:37 AM

cluelessjoe said:
Ah k, I get what the BIOS revision is, but my MOBO revision is only 1.1 which has no BIOS revision to support FX8120 at all - http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-p.... And only revision 3.1 have support for FX8120 - http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-p.... Does that mean I have to buy a new MOBO?

Yeah you will have to unfortunately. The never revision board shouldn't shock windows that much so you may be able to get away with just swapping them. I would run sysprep though just to make sure. If your installation is OEM you will have to faff around a bit to activate it again or have to buy a new license.
m
l
August 7, 2012 10:53:42 AM

Ughh, that sucks with the earlier revision board. It might be worth firing a quick email to their tech support to confirm.

Things are a bit more complicated nowadays...used to be a good chance you'd plug in and it would show up as unknown model.

Take note of what blahman says regarding the OEM side of things. If you do have an OEM windows and you have to change a motherboard due to 'malfunction' they should let you do that and carry over your licence (I'd maybe plug in your old cpu for the activation)
m
l
August 7, 2012 1:37:38 PM

Got a new MOBO and it is working now, should have done better research on the compatibility aspect, meh thanks for help anyways
m
l
!