RawShooter Essential spazzing out?

Last response: in Digital Camera
June 25, 2005 2:28:20 AM

For those of you who use RawShooter Essentials 2005, have you noticed
from time to time that the bar with all of your proxies spazzes out for
no particular reason? Seems like at random it starts shaking and
quaking and won't stop until/unless I close out the program altogether.

On the plus side, it doesn't necessarily affect work flow, and if I
switch to another view (trash/1/2/3/whatever) those views aren't
quaking. When I switch back to the original spazzed out view, it is
still jacked up. Anyway, I don't know if this is something common to
the release, or if there's a glitch in my download...

Regards,

Ben
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 7:43:22 AM

kombi45@yahoo.com wrote:
> For those of you who use RawShooter Essentials 2005, have you noticed
> from time to time that the bar with all of your proxies spazzes out
> for no particular reason? Seems like at random it starts shaking and
> quaking and won't stop until/unless I close out the program
> altogether.
>

> On the plus side, it doesn't necessarily affect work flow, and if I
> switch to another view (trash/1/2/3/whatever) those views aren't
> quaking. When I switch back to the original spazzed out view, it is
> still jacked up. Anyway, I don't know if this is something common to
> the release, or if there's a glitch in my download...
>
> Regards,
>
> Ben

My installation recently crashed while editing an image, then always
crashed as soon as I select any image to edit. Uninstalled,
reinstalled, still happened. Uninstalled, hunted for any hidden files
and registry keys to remove, rebooted, reinstalled, and it still crashes
as soon as I select an image. Frustrating to say the least, as I like
the way the program works, and you sure can't beat the price...

Hope to have time this weekend to search around their site to see if I
am missing something obvious, certainly wouldn't be the first time for
me.

Bob ^,,^
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 8:19:24 AM

On 24 Jun 2005 22:28:20 -0700, kombi45@yahoo.com wrote:

> On the plus side, it doesn't necessarily affect work flow, and if I
> switch to another view (trash/1/2/3/whatever) those views aren't
> quaking. When I switch back to the original spazzed out view, it is
> still jacked up. Anyway, I don't know if this is something common to
> the release, or if there's a glitch in my download...

Maybe a glitch in your video hardware/driver? I've never heard of
behavior such as you describe. With one exception. When I open
Microsoft's WordPad, no problem. But when I then open a text file,
for the first 1/2 to 3/4 second, the text characters rapidly vibrate
up and down before stabilizing. It doesn't continue to quake and
shake as is happening with your computer, but I wonder if making
some slight adjustment to your video settings might eliminate the
problem, if it's a resonant frequency that's causing the problem.
June 25, 2005 11:13:28 AM

>have you noticed from time to time that the bar with all of your
>proxies spazzes out for no particular reason? Seems like at
>random it starts shaking and quaking and won't stop until/unless
>I close out the program altogether.

They list something on the "Known issues" page on the Support forum
that sounds similar, maybe the same thing or maybe just related ...
here's the quote ...

(quote)
Thumbnails sometimes flicker.
This is caused when the thumbnail strip is 1 thumbnail wide or high and
RS cannot decide whether to go into filmstrip mode or not. The
workaround is to make the thumbnail strip either a little larger or
smaller by dragging the divider. This will be optimized in the next
release.
(end quote)

The problem I've had a couple of times is that the window listing the
Folders gets shoved under the menu bar if you are resizing an image and
changing the view at the same time. The 'fix' for this is to
uninstall, delete all RSE folders in the Program Files folder, edit the
registry and re-install. A lot of hassle just because the screen won't
refresh properly. The more I use RSE the more I like Capture One :)

Bill
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 11:16:15 AM

>Bob Harrington writes ...
>
>My installation recently crashed while editing an image, then
>always crashed as soon as I select any image to edit.

Something similar is also discussed on the Forum under 'known issues'
(quote)
RSE does not launch.
If RSE did not close gracefully, there is a chance that it will not
launch the next time that you go to use it. If this should ocur, please
download this file and run it (double-click) from anywhere in your
system. This should clear up the problem by deleting a temp file that
was left behind due to the improper closure of RSE.
(end quote)

You can get the "download this file" link off their support web page.

Bill
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 11:09:45 PM

Bill Hilton wrote:
>> You can get the "download this file" link off their support web page.
>
> Bob, here's the link to the file mentioned, in case you're having
> problems finding it ...
>
> http://pictureflow.fileburst.com/_rs/fixtempdir.bat

Thanks, but didn't seem to do the trick. =(

Maybe I will try backtracking to v1.1.2...
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 3:49:21 AM

Bob Harrington wrote:
> Bill Hilton wrote:
>>> You can get the "download this file" link off their support web
>>> page.
>>
>> Bob, here's the link to the file mentioned, in case you're having
>> problems finding it ...
>>
>> http://pictureflow.fileburst.com/_rs/fixtempdir.bat
>
> Thanks, but didn't seem to do the trick. =(
>
> Maybe I will try backtracking to v1.1.2...

Nevermind - found a few more registry entries to clobber, and have
successfully reinstalled 1.1.3.

....until the next time I break it... =}

Bob ^,,^
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 2:09:25 PM

> Bob wrote ...
>
>Nevermind - found a few more registry entries to clobber, and
>have successfully reinstalled 1.1.3.

Could you describe how you edited the registry to get these out? Would
appreciate it ...

> ...until the next time I break it... =}

Ever get the feeling we're debugging this guy's software for him?

Bill
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 5:55:04 PM

Since I downloaded the latest version RSE just will not run. I have
uninstalled and reinstalled, tried the fix, no help. Looking for older
version to put back on my computer.
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 6:10:54 PM

Bill Hilton wrote:
>> Bob wrote ...
>>
>> Nevermind - found a few more registry entries to clobber, and
>> have successfully reinstalled 1.1.3.
>
> Could you describe how you edited the registry to get these out?
> Would appreciate it ...

Using Windows XP here -

After uninstalling RSE,

Start - Run... type in "regedit"

Work your way down the tree on the left to
My Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\
and then scroll down to the 'Pixmantec' entry. I just deleted the whole
Pixmantec section.

I also looked about on the C:\ drive in 'My Programs' and 'Documents and
Settings' and deleted anything Pixmantec; I left all the '.RWSettings'
folders in my image folders alone, however.

Out of habit, I rebooted at this point to get a clean system state, and
then reinstalled RawShooter. So far, so good! I think my earlier
failures were due to not getting all the registry entries.

>> ...until the next time I break it... =}
>
> Ever get the feeling we're debugging this guy's software for him?

I get the same feeling with Mr. Gates Magical Mindbender Works... ;^)

But happy to do so - behind a few growth glitches, I think RSE is a very
useful and powerful bit of software - and at a price that's hard to
argue with - kudos and thanks to the good folks at Pixmantec!

Bob ^,,^
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 1:43:28 AM

"Bill Hilton" <bhilton665@aol.com> wrote in message
SNIP
> Ever get the feeling we're debugging this guy's software for him?

They're quite helpful if asked (they are not clairvoyants) ;-).
They've stated that the free version will debugged, before they
release the more advanced payware version.

Bart
!