Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Help picking a cpu!

Last response: in CPUs
Share
August 7, 2012 9:31:16 AM

Hey forums, i need help picking a CPU, i really need one for streaming. What is the minimum requirement for streaming games and music. i was thinking the AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX CPU let me know if this will be good enough!

More about : picking cpu

a b à CPUs
August 7, 2012 11:51:37 AM

That would do but a sandy bridge or ivy bridge would be much better
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
August 7, 2012 1:25:16 PM

Yeah the Phenom is plenty if you want to stream at standard quality but if you want your stream to be in HD then you need something better.
If you don't want to spend any extra money you should buy a Phenom II X6 1045T and overclock it.
If you can spend a bit more i suggest you buy a FX 8120.

You could also buy a 2500K but i'm not sure that it will perform as well as the FX.It's generally better at gaming but gaming while streaming is a whole different thing
m
0
l
Related resources
August 7, 2012 1:51:53 PM

Agree with bigcyco1 & kamen_BG but it all depends if this is a new system or are you upgrading your existing AMD system?

If this is a new system I would suggest the AMD FX 8120/8150 CPUs or Intel 3570k/3770k if your budget allows it.
m
0
l
August 7, 2012 2:45:20 PM

zander1983 said:
Agree with bigcyco1 & kamen_BG but it all depends if this is a new system or are you upgrading your existing AMD system?

If this is a new system I would suggest the AMD FX 8120/8150 CPUs or Intel 3570k/3770k if your budget allows it.

I plan on getting new motherboard anyways so if i did switch then it would work out, my thing is will there be any copmlications between the 6870 AMD graphics card and the I5
I am upgrading my new system current pc specs:
AMD 6870 graphics card
6gb ram
500W PSU(may upgrade in the near future)
Current CPU is 2 core amd athlon II 2.8ghz
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
August 7, 2012 3:09:17 PM

emberbane said:
I plan on getting new motherboard anyways so if i did switch then it would work out, my thing is will there be any copmlications between the 6870 AMD graphics card and the I5
I am upgrading my new system current pc specs:
AMD 6870 graphics card
6gb ram
500W PSU(may upgrade in the near future)
Current CPU is 2 core amd athlon II 2.8ghz
No there won't be my wife has i5 and two 7850 works fine ;) 
m
0
l
August 7, 2012 3:16:27 PM

If your getting a new mobo, I would suggest getting the i5-3570k.

6 and 8 cores aren't going to do you any better listening to Pandora and playing a flash game.
m
0
l
a c 78 à CPUs
August 7, 2012 3:20:42 PM

Quote:
6 and 8 cores aren't going to do you any better listening to Pandora and playing a flash game.

Neither is 4 cores lol. An i3-2120 can do that for a lot cheaper. So can the Phenom II 965 which is even cheaper than that.
m
0
l
August 7, 2012 3:25:35 PM

If he's getting a new mobo, wouldn't it be smarter to go forwards toward a newer CPU rather than backwards for an older one?
m
0
l
a c 78 à CPUs
August 7, 2012 3:26:04 PM

emberbane said:
I plan on getting new motherboard anyways so if i did switch then it would work out, my thing is will there be any copmlications between the 6870 AMD graphics card and the I5
I am upgrading my new system current pc specs:
AMD 6870 graphics card
6gb ram
500W PSU(may upgrade in the near future)
Current CPU is 2 core amd athlon II 2.8ghz

What brand and model of PSU? If its a cheap and crappy one, I absolutely would pitch it.

Getting an i5 is a good idea, despite my snip at the other fellow. I have a compulsion to point out plot holes. I'm not a fun guy to watch the big "summer blockbuster" in the theaters with. :lol: 
m
0
l
August 7, 2012 3:27:30 PM

You replied too quick, lol
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
August 7, 2012 3:29:11 PM

nekulturny said:
What brand and model of PSU? If its a cheap and crappy one, I absolutely would pitch it.

Getting an i5 is a good idea, despite my snip at the other fellow. I have a compulsion to point out plot holes. I'm not a fun guy to watch the big "summer blockbuster" in the theaters with. :lol: 
stirring the pot again i see good work! :lol:  ;) 
m
0
l
a c 78 à CPUs
August 7, 2012 3:29:18 PM

Fender0246 said:
If he's getting a new mobo, wouldn't it be smarter to go forwards toward a newer CPU rather than backwards for an older one?


Not necessarily. LOL, Phenom IIs might be older, but they're still perfectly capable CPUs.
m
0
l
a c 78 à CPUs
August 7, 2012 3:31:37 PM

bigcyco1 said:
stirring the pot again i see good work! :lol:  ;) 

HA. I just can't help myself. You know I have no problem recommending a Phenom II for a gamer, but I'd say in this situation if the OP is talking about having an Athlon II and getting a new motherboard and has the budget, he may as well go for the i5 w/mobo. Although, if I hear somebody talk about getting an i3 to "upgrade" to an i5 later, stuff is gonna hit the fan. :kaola: 
m
0
l
August 7, 2012 3:31:57 PM

I know, I am currently running a 965BE and recommending a i5, if that shows I'm no fan boy I don't know what will, lol
m
0
l
a c 78 à CPUs
August 7, 2012 3:33:32 PM

Fender0246 said:
I know, I am currently running a 965BE and recommending a i5, if that shows I'm no fan boy I don't know what will, lol

As long as you don't recommend an i5-2300/2310 I have no objections. My Phenom II @ 4.0 is better than them. I saw someone do that in a thread earlier and I just *facepalmed*.
m
0
l
August 7, 2012 3:37:36 PM

Oh yea, Phenom II Denebs still beats almost 90% of the CPU's out and it's how many years old? I love it.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
August 7, 2012 3:42:45 PM

nekulturny said:
HA. I just can't help myself. You know I have no problem recommending a Phenom II for a gamer, but I'd say in this situation if the OP is talking about having an Athlon II and getting a new motherboard and has the budget, he may as well go for the i5 w/mobo. Although, if I hear somebody talk about getting an i3 to "upgrade" to an i5 later, stuff is gonna hit the fan. :kaola: 
Well i actually agree with you on some of things i have seen you argue about and that is a 965BE or i3 i would agree with you on getting a 965BE because i don't care what benchmarks say the 965BE can be OC which would then make a big difference ;) 
m
0
l
a c 78 à CPUs
August 7, 2012 3:43:15 PM

Well, considering 90% of the CPUs out there in 40 years of Intel vs AMD history, I guess you could probably go even higher than 90% lol. But lol the worst part about that guy was he not only suggested the i5-2310 (and he linked one that cost $179- stated it was a "great price now", even though its the same price it was when it was released), but then the real kicker was he said "oh and you can upgrade it later 3570K". I almost couldn't believe what I was reading.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
August 7, 2012 3:45:58 PM

nekulturny said:
Well, considering 90% of the CPUs out there in 40 years of Intel vs AMD history, I guess you could probably go even higher than 90% lol. But lol the worst part about that guy was he not only suggested the i5-2310 (and he linked one that cost $179- stated it was a "great price now", even though its the same price it was when it was released), but then the real kicker was he said "oh and you can upgrade it later 3570K". I almost couldn't believe what I was reading.
:lol:  sounds like the person was either a noob or smoking to much funny stuff.
m
0
l
August 7, 2012 3:47:57 PM

nekulturny said:
Well, considering 90% of the CPUs out there in 40 years of Intel vs AMD history, I guess you could probably go even higher than 90% lol. But lol the worst part about that guy was he not only suggested the i5-2310 (and he linked one that cost $179- stated it was a "great price now", even though its the same price it was when it was released), but then the real kicker was he said "oh and you can upgrade it later 3570K". I almost couldn't believe what I was reading.


+1
m
0
l

Best solution

August 7, 2012 11:36:29 PM

Agree with all of the above, except buying an i3 and upgrading to an i5 lol

Back to what CPU to get, if you want to upgrade in stages then AMD is the way to go, get new MB and then a Pii 965 or FX CPU. If you want to buy everything new at the same time, get the i5 3570k,

As for PSU, look at Corsair or XFX 500W+ but no need to get anything over 650W
Share
August 8, 2012 12:14:00 AM

Seasonic is another good PSU brand to look at. I mention them mainly cause they're %15 off on newegg right now. When better to buy quality products than when they're on sale.
m
0
l
a c 78 à CPUs
August 8, 2012 12:15:22 AM

Seasonic makes the better Corsair and XFX PSUs lol. So yea.
m
0
l
August 8, 2012 12:20:26 AM

nekulturny said:
Seasonic makes the better Corsair and XFX PSUs lol. So yea.


Well, Seasonic makes XFX and some Corsair PSU's, so they're pretty good as well.
m
0
l
August 8, 2012 2:02:20 AM

Best answer selected by emberbane.
m
0
l
August 8, 2012 3:23:01 AM

Thanks.

Enjoy your new rig!
m
0
l
August 8, 2012 7:31:24 AM

zander1983 said:
Thanks.

Enjoy your new rig!

I will :) 
m
0
l
!