Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Reaction

Last response: in Components
August 7, 2012 2:20:04 PM

what will happen if radeon hd 6770 1gb ddr5 is used with 180 watt psu on a pc? will start to restart continuously or it will fry the pc?

More about : reaction

a c 133 ) Power supply
August 7, 2012 3:02:22 PM

Okay, good question to which only an electrician who's into frying equipment would be able to answer with examples. The most basic problem is that no 180W PSU has PCI connections to plug in your graphics card. But, if you were to use adapters from the molex cable, I would suspect that you would either set the PSU on fire or it would protect itself (and you) by shutting down - no restarting. If the PSU does not out and out die from the first event (it will soon), you might have to wait a few minutes for it to reset itself before trying again (with the same expected result).
m
l
August 7, 2012 3:35:18 PM

C12Friedman said:
Okay, good question to which only an electrician who's into frying equipment would be able to answer with examples. The most basic problem is that no 180W PSU has PCI connections to plug in your graphics card. But, if you were to use adapters from the molex cable, I would suspect that you would either set the PSU on fire or it would protect itself (and you) by shutting down - no restarting. If the PSU does not out and out die from the first event (it will soon), you might have to wait a few minutes for it to reset itself before trying again (with the same expected result).

i only want to know that what it will generally do to the psu or the pc.
m
l
Related resources
a c 158 ) Power supply
August 8, 2012 11:57:03 AM

Depends on the PSU...a good PSU won't boot or will shut itself down. A bad quality PSu has the potential to burn itself out and potentially take other PC components with it.
m
l

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
August 13, 2012 1:43:25 AM

What would happen if your PSU can't cope with the load:

-crashing games
-spontaneous reset or imminent shutdown of the PC
-freezing during gameplay
-PSU overload can cause it to break down
-bad 3D performance
August 13, 2012 1:55:50 AM