Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

$1500 budget for a Gaming Computer, Help for some parts

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Computer
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
Share
April 25, 2012 1:45:35 AM

Hi my friends, this is my first time building a computer and need some guide into getting some parts. Im not a computer Savvy
My budget $1500

Im not interested in SLI for the moment. I want only one video card because of Electricity/power consumption saving.

Let me know which parts could i switch too, also if there's some special reason for waiting for some specific part also let me know.

Mainly this build will be for gaming.

Approximate Purchase Date: not in a hurry
1. Graphics card: GTX 680 $500-$570
2. PSU: XFX Core Edition PRO550W (P1-550S-XXB9) 550W ATX12V 2.2 & ESP12V 2.91 $75
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
3. Computer case: HAF X 942 Blue $205
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
4. SSD: SanDisk Extreme SDSSDX-120G-G25 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) $139
5. Processor: i5 3570 Currently waiting to be out $220
6. Memory/ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 $70
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
7. CD Drive: ASUS 24X DVD Burner $17
8. Monitor: A monitor that I already have with HDMI
9. Motherboard:???????????????????????????????????????

my budget for the motherboard 1155 is from $90 to $280. If a motherboard without video output is better also let me know

Im opened to other motherboards that you might be thinking.

The ones i was thinking about are he following but if you have other options in mind please let me know:

a. ASUS P8Z77-V PRO $225
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

b. ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 $240
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thank You

More about : 1500 budget gaming computer parts

April 25, 2012 1:54:22 AM

For gaming, save $140 and get the i5-2500k. Use the $ for the Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 120GB SSD.
m
0
l
Anonymous
April 25, 2012 2:35:13 AM

honestly i think the deluxe is over priced compared to the pro for 2 more (6 instead of 4) sata III ports and bluetooth. well you can go to 2800 RAM but compared to 2600 the gain is pointless. it also does have a dual LAN ports but are you going to use it as a network switch or a gaming box?

the pro is nice compared to the V with a few more usb3 ports and four more phases in the power design for the cpu; which would give a more stable over clock (12 compared to 8 phases.) the deluxe does have 16 phases to the cpu o.O

if you like all the bells and whistles and can afford them, the deluxe looks attractive. but if you are looking for good without spending "deluxe" money than the pro would be better over the V.

m
0
l
Related resources
April 25, 2012 2:45:31 AM

At his budget, the only CF options he will get are weak ones. Once you hit $2500, you can get 2x 680s.
m
0
l
April 25, 2012 2:53:23 AM

2x6970 with 8150 would blow above system out of the water. You can get 6970 for as low as $325 with rebate, he stated he has time to wait. 8150 on ebay for $210~. Around same cost, but much better return. I would give system, but I have no hands on experience with xfire on those boards.
m
0
l
Anonymous
April 25, 2012 2:55:29 AM

justindadswell said:
2x6970 with 8150 would blow. You can get 6970 for as low as $325 with rebate, he stated he has time to wait. 8150 on ebay for $210~. Around same cost, but much better return. I would give system, but I have no hands on experience with xfire on those boards.

fixed that for ya :) 
m
0
l
April 25, 2012 2:57:57 AM

justindadswell said:
2x6970 with 8150 would blow above system out of the water. You can get 6970 for as low as $325 with rebate, he stated he has time to wait. 8150 on ebay for $210~. Around same cost, but much better return. I would give system, but I have no hands on experience with xfire on those boards.

If that was towards me, you are big time wrong.
m
0
l
Anonymous
April 25, 2012 3:02:34 AM


methinks NOT!

and why spent over $700 compared to $500?
m
0
l
April 25, 2012 3:02:52 AM

or even Crysis two, closer. But with xfire the 6970 sill wins. Even if only marginally.
m
0
l
April 25, 2012 3:03:26 AM

Intel lover? If you read my posts, I even defend AMD CPUs at times when it is beneficial for the OP.

Also, way to post a random benchmark of a random game. Do you even know if the OP is even going to play the game? You need to be more clever than that. I would think even you know common sense.
m
0
l
April 25, 2012 3:03:53 AM

why the 2700k
the i5-2500k or i5-3570k will have the same performance in gaming with less money
m
0
l

Best solution

April 25, 2012 3:06:28 AM

unless you are doing video/photo editing on the side, slide down to
1) i5-3570K (coming in a few weeks with native PCIe 3.0 support) cheaper AND BETTER than the A8-8150 (which bottlenecks a gtx 680 http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ivy-bridge-benchmar...)
2) 8gb ram is more than enough
With the $160 in savings and no performance loss, you can opt for a bigger SSD or 2xSSD in raid 0. If you want a stable and reliable ssds, go for the intel 520s, crucial m4s, or samsung 830s. I've built/rebuilt PC/laptops using all three. no complaints.
Share
Anonymous
April 25, 2012 3:07:02 AM

azeem40 said:
Intel lover? If you read my posts, I even defend AMD CPUs at times when it is beneficial for the OP.

Also, way to post a random benchmark of a random game. Do you even know if the OP is even going to play the game? You need to be more clever than that. I would think even you know common sense.

i'll have to take the blame for poking the AMD troll, sorry sometimes its as fun as throwing peanuts to the monkeys at the zoo. :lol: 
m
0
l
April 25, 2012 3:07:58 AM

that is still a single VGA, should be easy 40% bonus to fps with xfire (and that is being very very stingy). So that would make around 65fps for the 6970 in xfire compared to 54fps with 580.
m
0
l
April 25, 2012 3:08:36 AM

If I am being completely, I love it when the fanboys come in and start a ruckus. :p 
m
0
l
April 25, 2012 3:09:02 AM

Pick any game you would like, I still say xfire over single 580. No matter the cpu you go.
m
0
l
April 25, 2012 3:12:28 AM

Anonymous said:
i'll have to take the blame for poking the AMD troll, sorry sometimes its as fun as throwing peanuts to the monkeys at the zoo. :lol: 


nice one
m
0
l
April 25, 2012 3:13:22 AM

I would agree with you if you used proper logic.
m
0
l
Anonymous
April 25, 2012 3:14:00 AM

justindadswell said:
Pick any game you would like, I still say xfire over single 580. No matter the cpu you go.

if you wanna do that please start your own thread.


OP has a 680 in his specs :lol: 
m
0
l
April 25, 2012 3:14:42 AM

CF 6970 does perform better than the single GTX 680, but it also uses 1.5x the power and scales terribly with most games. Most games do not make use of CF/SLI. If you had said CF Radeon 7850 over the GTX 680, I would have agreed with you.
m
0
l
April 25, 2012 3:27:24 AM

Ok so some research. Metro 2033 is the only game that returns about 40% with xfire (about 38fps xfired, so equal to above), every other game has over 70% return from xfire.
So yes for Metro 2033 680 would be the cheaper route. For every other main stream game I can think to look up, the 6970 xfire is about 30-40% more fps then the 680.
m
0
l
April 25, 2012 4:03:17 AM

therefore you get what you pay for. CF 6970 costs 30-40% more than the 680 but going with a 680 now (as the op wanted) will give the op the option to add another 680 later. 680's in sli uses less juice than CF 6970s (~500W v ~600W). as current nvidia drivers go, sli 680s scale >80% in the more GPU demanding titles and will only improve as the drivers get better.
m
0
l
April 25, 2012 4:12:22 AM

Au_equus said:
unless you are doing video/photo editing on the side, slide down to
1) i5-3570K (coming in a few weeks with native PCIe 3.0 support) cheaper AND BETTER than the A8-8150 (which bottlenecks a gtx 680 http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ivy-bridge-benchmar...)
2) 8gb ram is more than enough
With the $160 in savings and no performance loss, you can opt for a bigger SSD or 2xSSD in raid 0. If you want a stable and reliable ssds, go for the intel 520s, crucial m4s, or samsung 830s. I've built/rebuilt PC/laptops using all three. no complaints.



Hi, thank you for for recommending the i5-3570K if it performs better and it will be cheaper than the 2700k I will wait the few weeks for the processor. by the way is there a i7 one thats coming out like the one you just told me?

The 8GB of ram thank You. I guess I would buy a single 8GB because all the 16gb will not be used and if i upgrade in the future ill just buy another single 8GB stick.

For the ssd i will look in to that brands, I really do not know whats raid 0, ill google it.

Thanks, i guess with these recomendation you save me a lot.

Au_equus said:
therefore you get what you pay for. CF 6970 costs 30-40% more than the 680 but going with a 680 now (as the op wanted) will give the op the option to add another 680 later. 680's in sli uses less juice than CF 6970s (~500W v ~600W). as current nvidia drivers go, sli 680s scale >80% in the more GPU demanding titles and will only improve as the drivers get better.



Exactly this is something i really was thinking. I want a single video card that perform well and that uses a decent power consumption.

If theres a single video card that performs better and around same power , let me know.
m
0
l
April 25, 2012 4:36:25 AM

Not better, but rather no loss in performance. the i7 2600k/2700k ivy bridge counterpart is the i7 3770k. the pricing is supposed to be the same as the SB analogs. for the 8gb ram, get 2x4gb sticks (utilizes dual channel), which is still way more than any game needs, but a decent pair can be had for <$50. stick with one larger ssd (240/256gb). or save for a 2nd 680 :) 
m
0
l
April 25, 2012 5:11:00 AM

Au_equus said:
therefore you get what you pay for. CF 6970 costs 30-40% more than the 680 but going with a 680 now (as the op wanted) will give the op the option to add another 680 later. 680's in sli uses less juice than CF 6970s (~500W v ~600W). as current nvidia drivers go, sli 680s scale >80% in the more GPU demanding titles and will only improve as the drivers get better.

That is true, but I figured 30-40% more in cost could be fit into the build and would be worth it.
I did happen to notice this, so depending on games he plays I would go sli 570 or xfire 6970. Scroll down to find comparison, 6970xfire often wins - but the sli has its place as well. In both cases they well outperform a single 680. Though if future upgrade is an option that does change things, I am aiming for best build now.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/315063-33-6970-crossf...

The 570 are currently cheaper. So maybe the way to go unless you never play the games it is good at.

Nvidia has always had better CPU, ATI better memory management. So it does really effect what they are good at.
m
0
l
April 25, 2012 5:16:03 AM

"Exactly this is something i really was thinking. I want a single video card that perform well and that uses a decent power consumption. "
Did not realize that, figured you were after the most power. It is for the best anyways, even a 680 is overkill for anything currently out.
m
0
l
April 25, 2012 6:11:45 AM

So what about the motherboard?

I would like one that haves wifi. Motherboard budget $90-$270.
m
0
l
April 25, 2012 6:14:15 AM

It is cheaper to buy a wifi card.
m
0
l
April 25, 2012 7:36:41 AM

Anonymous said:
honestly i think the deluxe is over priced compared to the pro for 2 more (6 instead of 4) sata III ports and bluetooth. well you can go to 2800 RAM but compared to 2600 the gain is pointless. it also does have a dual LAN ports but are you going to use it as a network switch or a gaming box?

the pro is nice compared to the V with a few more usb3 ports and four more phases in the power design for the cpu; which would give a more stable over clock (12 compared to 8 phases.) the deluxe does have 16 phases to the cpu o.O

if you like all the bells and whistles and can afford them, the deluxe looks attractive. but if you are looking for good without spending "deluxe" money than the pro would be better over the V.



It would be for gaming mostly.
Do you have other ideas maybe of other 1155 motherboards that could be better than these around the same price?
m
0
l
April 25, 2012 7:38:29 AM

Right now, the best bang for buck motherboard for SB is the ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3.
m
0
l
April 25, 2012 7:58:34 AM

I apreciate your suggestion, im considering it, for me to take advantage right now, is there another that I can take adavantage from $120 to $270?
m
0
l
April 25, 2012 8:02:15 AM

The ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3 comes to mind.
m
0
l
April 25, 2012 8:04:25 AM

Not sure why it hasn't been mentioned, but don't get all those awesome parts and then go with that crap PSU......it will bring down your whole system. Go with a seasonic, antec, corsair, etc......

Edit- Wow, a lot of reply posts to wade through........quickly scanning, I saw the post about the 8 gigs of ram.

If you go with 8 gigs, get 2 4gig sticks, not a single 8 gig.

If you go with a single 8 gig stick, you lose dual channel speeds, and gimp the speed of your 8 gigs of ram by half.
m
0
l
April 25, 2012 8:10:35 AM

For a single 680, get the XFX Core 650W for $93.99.
m
0
l
April 25, 2012 8:18:52 PM

Au_equus said:
Not better, but rather no loss in performance. the i7 2600k/2700k ivy bridge counterpart is the i7 3770k. the pricing is supposed to be the same as the SB analogs. for the 8gb ram, get 2x4gb sticks (utilizes dual channel), which is still way more than any game needs, but a decent pair can be had for <$50. stick with one larger ssd (240/256gb). or save for a 2nd 680 :) 


Thank You very much, so if it performs the same I think is worth the wait, Thank you I changed the memory to dual sticks 2*4GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

thrakazog said:
Not sure why it hasn't been mentioned, but don't get all those awesome parts and then go with that crap PSU......it will bring down your whole system. Go with a seasonic, antec, corsair, etc......

Edit- Wow, a lot of reply posts to wade through........quickly scanning, I saw the post about the 8 gigs of ram.

If you go with 8 gigs, get 2 4gig sticks, not a single 8 gig.

If you go with a single 8 gig stick, you lose dual channel speeds, and gimp the speed of your 8 gigs of ram by half.


1. I selected the LSP 750W in case in the future I SLI, but not right now:
This psu haves very good reviews, is it really a bad psu? I really don't know. Maybe theres something I should know?:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/ite...

2. Thanks I changed it to 2*4GB. Thanks i learned something new. Did not know that using only one stick would cut out speed.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

1.To decide in the motherboard which one and if you can let me know why, i just want the one that haves more features or perform better:
a. ASUS P8Z77-V PRO $225
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6813131819

b. ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 $240
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6813131821

2. About buying an SSD, besides booting up faster, Will there be a diffrence when playing a game compared to a hard drive?
m
0
l
April 25, 2012 8:21:07 PM

Yes, LSP is manufactured by a crap manufacturer. Before ANY PSU, always consider XFX and Seasonic.
m
0
l
April 25, 2012 8:40:42 PM

justindadswell said:
For that price why not x-fire or sli?

I would also go 8-core AMD instead
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Are patriot SSD any good? I would stick to a brand with a good histroy in SSD: Corsair, Kingston, Intel.
On that note, why not go raid 0?


No, no, no. Don't go for an AMD CPU. An Intel one offers superior performance at a lower price. Always.

OP: you might wanna check that PSU. It sounds like a cheap, unbranded model that might be unreliable. Go for one by corsair on Antec earthwatts. Basically, one of the ones that are recommended on this site. Should be worth it
m
0
l
April 25, 2012 8:42:20 PM

Since when has Corsair had a good history as an SSD brand? It is littered with sandforce controller issues.
m
0
l
April 25, 2012 11:04:24 PM

azeem40 said:
Yes, LSP is manufactured by a crap manufacturer. Before ANY PSU, always consider XFX and Seasonic.


Ok thanks. I changed it to a XFX.

Which motherboard would tou choose from the above
m
0
l
April 27, 2012 5:56:35 AM

Best answer selected by BeCast.
m
0
l
!