A little help on the performance gains I may see..

G

Right now I am running an athlon 1.1 ghz, abit KT7-Raid, and 196 megs of PC-100 generic ram. I am going to ditch this ram, sell it to a friend and I have already purchased 512 megs of mushkin rev. 2 2/2/2 PC 133 ram. I often run chess programs that need a lot of memory for move odering, and so it can search the tree without swapping... I also run a little 3DS max once in a while when I am bored. I was wondering, about what kind of speed increase will I see?

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
you should get about ~40%+ performance improvement with your new memory, and with Abit KT7-RAID you could overclock your FSB a bit, since your 1.1G Tbird wont use full 133 MHz speed anyway. if you are hesitant about cpu overclocking (you should be - your job is a lot of work for the cpu) you could just increase the FSB to 125 or thereabouts and reduce the multiplier to 10, you could get a faster memory subsystem as well as a wee-bit faster cpu at 1250 MHz. you should more than double your performance. also, keeping the swap file to a fixed size, and try different sizes from 125 MB to 300 MB for best performance. if possible, defrag the system using a DOS tool, it would also defrag the swapfile not defragmented by the Windows defragger. that should help.

girish

<font color=blue>die-hard fans don't have heat-sinks!</font color=blue>