Sign in with
Your question

Rhythmic interference with onboard sound.

Last response: in Components
August 7, 2012 3:13:29 PM

I have a PC that is a couple of years old and has never given me any trouble. But it recently started having a rhythmic interference with any audio playback. Mostly it sounds like a static click, other times it sounds like a distortion of voice, but at all times its a steady rhythm. I have unplugged everything and let it sit. I have confirmed my connections are correct and solid. I have disabled everything that I can from the manager. And I still have the same problem. I am running a Pentium I7 with Windows Vista and Realtek HD integrated audio. On a side note, I have set up a dual boot with this system and on the Linux side, I get a bit of distortion at first and then it goes away.
August 7, 2012 3:53:00 PM

The description makes me think its electrical noise. Have you recently added any new equipment or parts to the PC. Even something as simple as a compact florecent bulb in a lamp plugged into the same surge protector could cause this. Just for testing unplug all extra peripherals from the computer and try plugging the power wire straight to the wall.
m
l
August 8, 2012 2:56:42 AM

Thank you, but I have not added anything new. And I already unplugged everything extra. I even removed the battery backup and plugged directly into the wall outlet. I pulled the desk away from the wall and spread the electrical components as far away from each other as I could. Same rhythmic distortion.
m
l
!