Turning Graphic card on & off from Windows

mobu

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
Hi there,

I have a Gigabyte Z68 motherboard, AMD Radeon 6750, and a Intel i5. Is it possible to turn off the graphic card and use the default Intel HD graphics from within Windows? I know 6750 has better graphics but the reason I want to do this is to reduce fan noise when I am recording my music.

I want to do this without opening up the case or taking the graphic card off the motherboard. In other words, is there a way I can switch off the power from the power supply to the graphic card from Windows (or any other software)?

mobu

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011

I am still a computer newbie, would mind explaining to me how to disable the graphics card in the BIOS? Thanks a lot!

mash delete when your computer is booting in the black screen phase until you hit a bios screen, it should be somewhere in there to disable the pcie as primary display and change it to the onboard.
i wouldnt be able to tell you command for command as every mobo bios are different, but thats how it should go and make sure you are plugged into the mobo display port after doing this. i dont see how your GPU is getting hot enough to warrant the high fan noise though with just recording music... do you mistakenly have a fan control program like catalyst control center running in the background?

Ah, got it. On my Gigabyte, it's the last option under "Advanced BIOS Settings," called "Init Display First".
Yes, you may be able to deal with the fan with a better fan profile. Try MSI Afterburner to mess with its speed: you can make a chart that maps fan speed to different temperature ranges.

mobu

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011

I DO have Catalyst Control Center running in the background :sweat: Do you think that's the main problem?

mobu

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011

So I can basically have two cables (one from mobo and another from graphic card) connected to my screen at the same time? And just switch the power to the onboard in the BIOS?

If the screen can autodetect which cable's sending a signal, sure. Otherwise you'll just have to swap out cables at the monitor end. This shouldn't be difficult, as it's always within your arm's reach. Note that switching in the BIOS means a reboot.

The catalyst control panel should have a manual fan control you can set to automatic.
If the manual is enabled and at 50% or higher you will hear the fan.
Try disabling manual and putting it on auto on the control center. If that fixes the issue then no need for the bios switch