Computer won't turn on after swapping cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

snorex1

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012
Hello, I recently bought a used cooler master 690 case and i swapped over everything from my current case. everything including mobo cpu case fans power supply etc. but now my rig won't power up.
nothing turns on. not even power up for a 1/2 second. i made sure there was power to the supply and everything was plugged in correctly. any advice would be appreciated
edit: i even tried the panel connections from my old case just to make sure it wasn't my power button that was messed up. everything worked fine in my old elite 371 case.

Solution
Well, you can try putting just the motherboard and power supply in the new case, see if it will turn on. If it does, turn it off at the PSU and add the graphics card, see if it will turn on. Continue in the same manner, adding devices one at a time and testing after each.

If just the motherboard won't power up in the new case, then check and make sure nothing metal is shorting against the motherboard (touching it where it shouldn't). It is also possible (unlikely, but possible) that the power switch is bad out of the box. You can try carefully shorting the pins where it connects with the end of a small flatblade screwdriver to see if it will turn on. Be careful only to touch the correct pins!!!

seamus_ar

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2012
Well, you can try putting just the motherboard and power supply in the new case, see if it will turn on. If it does, turn it off at the PSU and add the graphics card, see if it will turn on. Continue in the same manner, adding devices one at a time and testing after each.

If just the motherboard won't power up in the new case, then check and make sure nothing metal is shorting against the motherboard (touching it where it shouldn't). It is also possible (unlikely, but possible) that the power switch is bad out of the box. You can try carefully shorting the pins where it connects with the end of a small flatblade screwdriver to see if it will turn on. Be careful only to touch the correct pins!!!

Solution

snorex1

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012

I've tried using the power switch on my old cpu case( the one my cpu components was in originally) and it also doesn't work. the motherboard and everyone was in the new case but i simply just connected my old cpu case's panel+power button to the motherboard to test it out. i will try the other method as to removing the motherboard completely from the case and see if its shorting out by it touching some sort of metal

Does the power supply turn on? Did you install the mobo standoffs? Try booting with the bare minimium, hdd, cpu, mobo, 1 stick of ram. Does it work when you bread board the motherboard?

Edit: forgot I didn't hit send, errybody beat me to it.

snorex1

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012
i havent gotten a chance to try booting it up outside the case. will try that in about an hour when i get home.
edit: I'm also gonna try the paperclip trick to test my psu.

IMA UNICORN

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
with the mobo in the case, take out the graphics card and put a Flathead screwdriver over the 2 power button terminals. also have a look and see if your mobo has an on-board power button. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.