G

Does anyone have the PC70 or PC60?
If so, what do you think of it? Do you recommend it? I'm trying to convice myself to buy one, but they are some damn expensive.

tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
I have the PC60. It was expensive, but I don't regret getting it at all. It's incredibly easy to work with - thumbscrews for everything, no sharp edges, motherboard and add-in cards all slide out. It has lots of space inside and a lot of bays. It comes with three fans and keeps things cool inside. It's light, it looks cool ... do you need any more convincing?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by tlaughrey on 05/17/01 09:43 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Mavicator

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
In case you DO need more convincing, I have one and believe it's worth every penny. The slide-out tray actually works properly and easily with enough room for tall cards to slide through, and it comes with a cable for all those little plugs (pwr sw, hd led, reset sw, etc) with a single breakaway connector in the middle. It comes complete with fans connected to a 3-speed switch and has a quick-disconnect front panel. Also you get removable drive bays and a completely tooless setup. :)

-- *Ding Ding* Knowledge for the clueless!!! --

G

Joolz,

Further to the earlier posts: the P-60's bottom-level hard drive cage, being situated behind the two front fans, is great for cooling multiple fast hard drives.

(The current P-60s are now using the same cage as the P-70, which is even better than the one I have.)

The case's native cooling potential is what sold me: my system barely sweats (full CPU load=45 degrees celsius), although it's fully loaded with a GeForce II Ultra, a 1.2G Athlon, 5 full PCI slots, 3 10K SCSI hard drives, CD-ROM, and a CD-RW. Mind you, all of my cables are round which helps.

If you go with the P-60, do be careful when installing your power supply. If it has an intake fan on the bottom, either remove the respective fan grill when you insert the PS from the back; or install the PS from inside the case. I didn't do either initially, and when fiddling around I accidently broke the retaining clip off of the 20 pin MB power connector = bad news.

p.s. Did you base your 'handle' on Joolz, the British alternative rock singer/poetess?

Mavicator

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
Does your CPU run at those temps with the stock fans? For some reason my Bios says the CPU is running at 68-73C! I've only had this thing built for a week so I was planning to add another fan an an Enermax PS.

polaris

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
Glad you guys are in the same boat - I just ordered a Enermax 430W and LianLi P-60 (cool on the inside & outside) based on some other peoples opinions - they say ease of of use (especially when building your 1st sys) is a real time/frustration saver and even if you don't open it up that much - when you do, changes can be made in seconds instead of minutes.
Hope the same applies for the rest of us...
Thanks Bahngeist for the PS installation advice you posted.

Mavicator quote: "IN CASE you DO need more convincing," pun intended ?? :D

"if ignorance is bliss... why aren't more of us smiling"

G

Mavicator,

I am using nothing else but the stock fans and an Enermax 451G PS; and a lapped Alpha 6035/Sunon heatsink-fan combination on the Athlon 1.2G (not yet overclocked). And, as mentioned, all of my drive cables are rounded.

If you are running an Athlon, those temps. are dangerously high, even though the chip is rated by AMD to max. out a 90 c. (or is it 95 c.?).

Anyway: if you are using an Abit A7V, then it is widely known that the CPU temp sensor is off by plus 10 c. The BIOS temp. readouts are those that you would generally expect at peak load. Either way, you are still running too high.

Check to see if your heatsink is attached properly, and that there actually is heatsink paste between it and the CPU. If not, Artic Silver II comes highly recommended.

Thick applications of paste can also cause problems; a thin, translucent coat is all that you need unless the contact surface of your heatsink is uneven.

Check out the cooling forum for suggestions and advice re. heatsinks, etc., and other related issues. ArsTechnica is a good site for checking-out cooling issues.

Mavicator

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
Thanks. I'lll check that all out. I'm running an Asus A7V with a 1ghz Tbird and a stock fan/heatsink. I'm about to install round cables to help out but I'm glad to hear the Bios temp reading is 10-degrees high. I was a bit concerned. The new power supply should help out as well (I hope!). I'm putting a 1.33 in this case as soon as I can find one so I really need to figure out the best possible cooling for it soon.