Sign in with
Your question

Odd BF3 problem with SLi

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 17, 2012 12:25:37 AM

Been having instability issues with SLi and BF3, heres some troubleshoot background.

Have been playing a bit of Dead Island and Skyrim and CS:S all of which run stable in SLi...

So the problem lies somewhere with BF3 and I can't figure it out here are some things I've tried.
- Underclocking, undervolting
- Using stock clock settings
- Upping the voltage on the card
- Disabling onboard sound audio
- Disabling V-Sync
- Trying various settings in nvidia control panel
- Tried all drivers compatible with BF3 ie; 285.62 and greater even betas
- Updated VGA Bios
- Updated Mobo Bios
- Re-Formatted HDs
- Re-downloading and installing BF3
- Non-PB servers
- Re-installing PB
- sfc /scannow
- Using different windows themes
- Disabling in-game origin

I've tried all of these things and I'll still crash here are some of the various crashes I've had...
- devicereasonremoved error device hung
- Game will minimize without any error and can't open
- Sound loop (BRRR sound) crash error resulting in a hard reboot
- Lockups resulting in reboots

Also recently I've noticed something weird my GPUs spike to 99% then I crash.

Note that I generally crash at the loading screen if I don't make it in game...

Here are my specs

i5 2500k
650W PSU w/ Master Cooler ==> Upgraded to 750 TX750 Corsair
8GB DDR3 Ram
x2 460 GTX OCD
MSI Z68A-GD55 B3 Mobo
Onboard audio

More about : odd bf3 problem sli

February 17, 2012 1:09:05 AM

I know that a lot of people run bf3 fine with sli, but I've also heard there are a lot of problems with it. I've also researched the 750w psu powering sli, and it should be enough.

Have you tried uninstalling drivers, booting in safe mode and running driver sweeper, then reinstalling?

honestly, what I would do in your situation. Just get rid of the sli 460's, they're not doing you any good and buy a decent single card. 560ti maybe? I saw a 560ti 448 core for $220 the other day...
m
l
February 17, 2012 1:48:10 AM

Have tried many different drivers from nvidia, also I always do clean installs as you mentioned.

A new card is a consideration but considering I bought these two cards less than 3months ago I don't really wanna replace em
especially if I can't get a refund.

Also I've benchmarked both cards, and benchmarked both cards while SLi was enabled in Furmark finished the test with no problems.

The weird thing is just yesterday I was playing for hours with my one MSI Afterburner profile then today I go to boot up BF3 and I crash at the loading screen considering I haven't changed any software or hardware this boggles my mind.

This hasn't been the only case few weeks ago I was playing on ultra for hours no crashes or hiccups then all the sudden the next day can't even boot into the game, no idea whats going on.

I've tested the ram for 12 hours in memtest86, benchmarked cards I honestly don't think its hardware related.

The next step I guess is to buy USB sound card cause I have realtek audio but I don't see how this could make me crash before I even enter the freaking game.

I've spent more time troubleshooting my system to work in BF3 then actually playing the game.
m
l
Related resources
February 17, 2012 5:31:00 AM

I don't think you need to go buy a usb sound card as you already tested with disabling the onboard audio.

have you tried running the memory at 1.5v, 1333mhz? is your cpu overclocked?

i'll be honest bf3 still has a lot of bugs in it in my experience, I've encountered quite a bit.

You've tried running bf3 with sli disabled only using one card right?
m
l
February 17, 2012 3:32:14 PM

This is the ram I have...

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-Channel-Memory-...

its @ 1600mhZ its already getting fed 1.5V according to CPU-Z

I'm running a stock i5 2500k sandy bridge right now I could overclock but I have done it before and does not increase the stability in BF3.

BF3 runs fine with one card and I've already purchased a USB sound card due to the fact that I've had many sound related crashes in BF3, and everyone seems to point the finger at realtek onboard audio.

Edit: Also the ram is running in dual channel mode...

I'll post a video of my BF3 crash as its most common now at the loading screen.

Double Edit:

Heres a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEuYh1eiLyI&context=C3b9...
m
l
February 17, 2012 8:14:10 PM

Did the game run fine in SLI with the realtek onboard audio disabled via system > device manager?

Also, just for consistency sake download driver sweeper, uninstall nvidia drivers, reboot into safe mode and run driver sweeper removing all nvidia files and ati if you had one before, reinstall nvidia.

another thing for that long list would just be trying the memory at 1333...

if the game still crashes in sli with the realtek onboard audio disabled via system > device manager i doubt a usb card will solve it but it's worth a shot.

or better yet disabled the realtek audio in the motherboard bios and try it.

you have 8gigs of that ram right?
m
l
February 17, 2012 8:38:06 PM

lmulder said:
Did the game run fine in SLI with the realtek onboard audio disabled via system > device manager?

Also, just for consistency sake download driver sweeper, uninstall nvidia drivers, reboot into safe mode and run driver sweeper removing all nvidia files and ati if you had one before, reinstall nvidia.

another thing for that long list would just be trying the memory at 1333...

if the game still crashes in sli with the realtek onboard audio disabled via system > device manager i doubt a usb card will solve it but it's worth a shot.

or better yet disabled the realtek audio in the motherboard bios and try it.

you have 8gigs of that ram right?

Yep 8gigs, I already did a clean reboot today with driver 290.53. did driver sweeper in safe mode.

Also I don't know how to downclock memory do I just have to buy new sticks?

I've been playing today at 1mv, 725 core clock, 1450 shader clock and 1800 Mem Clock. This game is so random though that when I boot up tomorrow I wont even be able to load into the game with these clocks.

This game is very weird if I put that voltage at its stock value 962mv-975mv I can't even get in the game it crashes at loading screen with some DX error.

Also I've still crashed with realtek audio disabled in the mobo bios but it wont hurt to try a USB sound card, only ten dollar fix so why not...

Also purchased a new SLi bridge.

So today with the clocks with I've mentioned above I've been able to get into game and play for a few hours with no instability on high settings, if its anything like other times tomorrow I will just crash @ loading screen with these clocks which boggles my mind since i've changed nothing since the previous day...we'll see what happens hell I'll probably crash today with these clocks.
m
l
February 17, 2012 10:38:13 PM

I think you should run some burn in tests on those cards. Do them in SLI, and then do them one at a time as single cards. You should use Furmark and Video Memory Stress Test. While you're at it find memtest 86+ just to make sure your memory is ok, and maybe even do some cpu torture tests, I think prime95.

Maybe something is slightly faulty and it only becomes apparent in BF3? This is just another thing to add to your list of troubleshooting.
m
l
February 18, 2012 8:26:48 PM

did you run the burn in tests... including furmark and video memory stress test on each gpu individually as well as in sli?

I also read your other post, I think you really need to research the video card bios on both of those cards, maybe there's an update for them on the website? What's the manufacturer?

I had a problem with an XFX 5870 video card. I took the same approach you did, had a 30 some odd list of things I tried, blah blah blah. Huge list. It was a very hard problem to diagnose, I finally figured out that the card was crashing at stock clocks, but when the memory clock was brought down 50mhz it ran fine without crashing. Now, it only crashed in a few games, and not others. It crashed a lot in Battlefield Bad Company 2 which I played mostly, but not in Left 4 Dead or other Valve games. My point is that I think it's something small here... and maybe the problem just only happens in BF3.

It's either a problem with BF3 and it's SLI implementation, which is probably at this point something you can't avoid. Or it's something small with one of your video cards, or your PSU.

If I were you, at this point... I'd try these things:
- new sli bridge, could possibly be a culprit but since other games are working fine I wouldn't think so.
- You gotta just try everything, put the system memory at 1333mhz in the bios...
- research the different bios on your cards problem and see if you can somehow make them both the same if they're the same cards/models.
- Try a CPU stress test with prime95 or whatever else is out there. If you can get a crash on some hardcore system stress testing getting the CPU and GPU maxed out then this will really tell you if your PSU is a culprit or not. Maybe run prime95 and furmark at the same time...

If at some point you feel like you've tried everything and you're just bogged, I would just sell my 460s on ebay and buy a gtx 570 or some other single card. SLI still isn't fully there yet as a technology, in terms of performance %, driver support, and the microstuttering problems.

or just suck it up and run bf3 in single card mode... which I wouldn't be happy with as a solution.

Here's a google link with some promising threads related to the problem...

fficial&client=firefox-a#hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=yDy&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&sclient=psy-ab&q=460+sli+bf3+problem&pbx=1&oq=460+sli+bf3+problem&aq=f&aqi=q-n1&aql=&gs_sm=3&gs_upl=109110l109978l0l110089l8l8l0l0l0l0l93l676l8l8l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=e497b0ef37f63d8f&biw=1760&bih=856" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">https://www.google.com/search?q=460+sli+bf3&ie=utf-8&oe...
m
l
February 27, 2012 10:09:40 PM

lmulder said:
did you run the burn in tests... including furmark and video memory stress test on each gpu individually as well as in sli?

I also read your other post, I think you really need to research the video card bios on both of those cards, maybe there's an update for them on the website? What's the manufacturer?

I had a problem with an XFX 5870 video card. I took the same approach you did, had a 30 some odd list of things I tried, blah blah blah. Huge list. It was a very hard problem to diagnose, I finally figured out that the card was crashing at stock clocks, but when the memory clock was brought down 50mhz it ran fine without crashing. Now, it only crashed in a few games, and not others. It crashed a lot in Battlefield Bad Company 2 which I played mostly, but not in Left 4 Dead or other Valve games. My point is that I think it's something small here... and maybe the problem just only happens in BF3.

It's either a problem with BF3 and it's SLI implementation, which is probably at this point something you can't avoid. Or it's something small with one of your video cards, or your PSU.

If I were you, at this point... I'd try these things:
- new sli bridge, could possibly be a culprit but since other games are working fine I wouldn't think so.
- You gotta just try everything, put the system memory at 1333mhz in the bios...
- research the different bios on your cards problem and see if you can somehow make them both the same if they're the same cards/models.
- Try a CPU stress test with prime95 or whatever else is out there. If you can get a crash on some hardcore system stress testing getting the CPU and GPU maxed out then this will really tell you if your PSU is a culprit or not. Maybe run prime95 and furmark at the same time...

If at some point you feel like you've tried everything and you're just bogged, I would just sell my 460s on ebay and buy a gtx 570 or some other single card. SLI still isn't fully there yet as a technology, in terms of performance %, driver support, and the microstuttering problems.

or just suck it up and run bf3 in single card mode... which I wouldn't be happy with as a solution.

Here's a google link with some promising threads related to the problem...

fficial&client=firefox-a#hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=yDy&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&sclient=psy-ab&q=460+sli+bf3+problem&pbx=1&oq=460+sli+bf3+problem&aq=f&aqi=q-n1&aql=&gs_sm=3&gs_upl=109110l109978l0l110089l8l8l0l0l0l0l93l676l8l8l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=e497b0ef37f63d8f&biw=1760&bih=856" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">https://www.google.com/search?q=460+sli+bf3&ie=utf-8&oe...

Hey thanks for replying I've been really busy with school lately (Mechanical Engineering :S) I'll run the VRAM test and Prime95 test as I've mentioned before I've already ran Furmark in single card and SLi.

Also my bios is up to date but how do I specifically check the bios on each individual card, I'm pretty sure they're both up to date.

I bought a new SLi bridge and that didnt solve the problem...along with a sound card.

Also I've no idea how to downclock memory.

Just recently I've started crashing on my current clocks which were stock OC with 1mV no idea why as I've literally changed zero settings on my computer, its so random it pisses me off.

Edit: I ran VMT but the test didnt finish with SLi on, I got a TDR then the test stopped.

Changing video mode to 640x480x16...OK
[2/27/2012 7:20:47 PM] Test started for "Primary Display Driver (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460)"...
Trying 16bpp RGB:565 mode...OK
TEST FAIL (Code: 887601C2)
Trying 16bpp RGB:555 mode...NOT SUPPORTED (Code: 8876017C)
Trying 16bpp BGR:565 mode...NOT SUPPORTED (Code: 80004001)
Trying 32bpp RGB:888 mode...NOT SUPPORTED (Code: 8876017C)
Trying 32bpp BGR:888 mode...NOT SUPPORTED (Code: 80004001)
NO PASS COMPLETED
m
l
February 28, 2012 4:10:07 AM

for the video card bios... you'd have to go to the manufacturer site and see if there's a program to view/update bios. If they even have bios updates for your cards... you might have to run each one as a single card one at a time with the program to view/update the bios.

did you try the Video Memory Test with each card as a single card?

tbh I just think you're being a little lazy with the testing. You need to run all your tests with each card as a single card, and then as sli.

you can set the system memory to 1333 is the motherboard bios by holding Del on bootup. Is your motherboard bios up to date as well?

Like I said to, do the cpu stress test with furmark running as well, see if your psu is holding.

I mean at this point, it's gotta be one of those video cards or the psu?
m
l
February 28, 2012 4:42:36 AM

lmulder said:
for the video card bios... you'd have to go to the manufacturer site and see if there's a program to view/update bios. If they even have bios updates for your cards... you might have to run each one as a single card one at a time with the program to view/update the bios.

did you try the Video Memory Test with each card as a single card?

tbh I just think you're being a little lazy with the testing. You need to run all your tests with each card as a single card, and then as sli.

you can set the system memory to 1333 is the motherboard bios by holding Del on bootup. Is your motherboard bios up to date as well?

Like I said to, do the cpu stress test with furmark running as well, see if your psu is holding.

I mean at this point, it's gotta be one of those video cards or the psu?

I used GPU-Z to check my BIOS they're up both up to date(both cards).

Every time I do a GPU test I test both single card and SLi for some reason with the VRAM test it just kept crashing I'd get a TDR and then the test would stop, so dunno what the deal with that is all faulty VRAM on both of my cards? :S

My Mobo bios is up to date, I'll try the 1333 RAM speed but I believe this issue is completely GPU related.

I'll do the CPU + Furmark Test like you said sometime tomorrow hopefully.

I don't think its the PSU but can't rule anything out I originally had a 650W PSU and decided to upgrade to 750W hoping that it would solve my issues, it didn't.

I'll let ya know the results.

m
l
February 28, 2012 5:18:27 AM

Ran a burn in test for 30 minutes with both GPUS at 99% along with CPU usage at 100% max temp was about 86C for GPUS, CPU didn't get over 60C.

So for about 30 minutes was running at a full load...it has to be software related wouldn't you agree?
m
l
!