February 17, 2012 1:12:09 AM

general specs
Core2 Quad Q8300 2.5ghz
700W PSU
6Gb Ram
Vista 64-bit
GeForce 570 Gtx

Power options: High Performance

I just got my card installed into my pci slot. I downloaded the driver from the cd in the box. Now I've only tested one game, one I play most often is SWTOR/Star Wars the Old Republic. Most of my setting are on low just to maintain a decent fps. Running on the 240 GTS in less crowded areas I managed around 30-60 FPS, but in crowded areas I sit around 8-20 FPS.

Now with my 570 Gtx installed, I have the same FPS. I can't figure out why I get no gain in FPS when I made such a major upgrade. :heink: 

If anyone has any ideas it would be appreciated.
a b U Graphics card
February 17, 2012 1:30:25 AM

Either CPU bottleneck(OC should help a lot but recommend pushing to 3.8GHz or 4GHz) OR wrong PCIe slot...
m
l
February 17, 2012 1:37:59 AM

Quote:
driver from the cd

Maybe try the latest drivers from Nvidia.com. They usually are much better than the 6months+ old drivers on the disc.
m
l
Related resources
February 17, 2012 2:06:39 AM

that game is an online game right? would have anything to do with ur connection? i dont think so but its just a stab in the dark
m
l
a c 257 U Graphics card
February 17, 2012 3:12:16 AM

What resolution are you playing at? At low resolutions games become more CPU bound. Higher resolutions are where a powerful graphics card can come into play. Either way you are bottlenecking due to the low clockspeed of your CPU. You need to overclock to ~3.5Ghz to really open up the 570s potential.

As was said above always use the newest driver from nvidia.com and not the one on the CD.
m
l
February 17, 2012 3:25:47 AM

For one, mmo's are just cpu bound in general, and 2.5ghz is slightly sluggish quad or not. Frequency is more important than cores.

Edited to fix mis-information. Mis-information is the enemy.
m
l
a c 257 U Graphics card
February 17, 2012 3:30:19 AM

He could be running 2 x 2GB and 2 x 1GB sticks and still be running in dual channel mode. Even if he is running 3 x 2GB and losing dual channel it is only a few percent of a performance hit.
m
l
February 17, 2012 3:34:32 AM

anort3 said:
He could be running 2 x 2GB and 2 x 1GB sticks and still be running in dual channel mode. Even if he is running 3 x 2GB and losing dual channel it is only a few percent of a performance hit.

<Edited again to fix my blunder. Soz!>

Besides, try disabling your dual channel sometime if you like to tweak, just for gags. It's not a big deal for most apps but 3d gaming takes a pretty rough hit. Edit: Especially mmo's which rely notoriously on the north of your system.
m
l
a c 257 U Graphics card
February 17, 2012 4:31:13 AM

lemlo said:
It wouldn't be a great decrease if you were running ddr3, though he is on a core 2 plat running ddr2 and if it's not in dual channel mode chances are he's running 3-400mhz ram equivelent.

Besides, try disabling your dual channel sometime if you like to tweak, just for gags. It's not a big deal for most apps but 3d gaming takes a pretty rough hit. Edit: Especially mmo's which rely notoriously on the north of your system.

At best dual channel gives you 4-5% gain in performance. All it does is increase bandwidth. If anything the gains would be higher in a DDR3 system due to the higher memory bandwidth.

I hink you are confusing DDR with dual channel. The 2 are unrelated.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/PARALLEL-PROCESSING...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-channel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR_SDRAM
m
l
February 17, 2012 5:15:00 AM

my main question is why put such a high end graphics card in a computer when there are bottle necks in so many other areas instead of a lower end graphics card like a 200 series card with a sandy bridge cpu and ddr3 on a motherboard which supports it ?
With that even a i3 sandy bridge cpu usually beats a core 2 quad in most things until you get down to the lower end of the i3 cpus where as they just suck.
in that if he is playing a mmo game it is most likely the cpu and/or the network not the ram as even without dual channel you can get pretty good frame rates on a mmorpg game if the cpu is clocked high like 3.2+ GHz even though they say 3.5~4.0 GHz you really will not see that much difference in an online game as it is also going to bottlenecked then by the network connection which at max is 10Mbps for a consumer line.
m
l
February 17, 2012 5:26:04 AM

anort3 said:
At best dual channel gives you 4-5% gain in performance. All it does is increase bandwidth. If anything the gains would be higher in a DDR3 system due to the higher memory bandwidth.

I hink you are confusing DDR with dual channel. The 2 are unrelated.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/PARALLEL-PROCESSING...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-channel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR_SDRAM

You caught me, I think is was a combination of brain fart/ being on the job while posting. Sorry about that!

Even with his low proc speed at 2.5ghz, his settings are on low it's hard to belive his frames to be as low as 8-20fps. I definitly agree his proc needs a boost to utilize the 570 but there just seems to be something else going on here. Maybe a fresh clean driver install?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 17, 2012 7:26:56 AM

ooo, and get rid of Vista while you are at it....
m
l
February 17, 2012 11:05:31 AM

Thank you guys for all the suggestions. I have some new parts that should arrive today.

Gigabyte Technology-ATX Motherboard 2133MHz (Socket 1155)-GA-Z68A-D3H-B3
2x Corsair-Vengeance 4GB DDR3 DIMM Desktop Memory
Intel®-Core™ i5-2500K Quad-Core 3.3GHz Processor

I will see about upgrading to windows 7 as well :bounce: 
m
l
a c 257 U Graphics card
February 17, 2012 3:49:41 PM

moedirty said:
Thank you guys for all the suggestions. I have some new parts that should arrive today.

Gigabyte Technology-ATX Motherboard 2133MHz (Socket 1155)-GA-Z68A-D3H-B3
2x Corsair-Vengeance 4GB DDR3 DIMM Desktop Memory
Intel®-Core™ i5-2500K Quad-Core 3.3GHz Processor

I will see about upgrading to windows 7 as well :bounce: 

I would say you fixed any bottleneck you might have had. ;) 
m
l
!