Solved

New build

Hi all, before i proceed with my new build i would like to get some comments on the below specs.

Intel Core i7-3930K (3.2G,12M Cache,LGA 2011)
ASUS P9X79 Pro X79 X79,DDR3,LGA 2011,USB3.0,SATA3 6Gb/s ATX M/B
<SSD>Plextor 256GB PX-256M3P M3 Pro
Corsair Vengeance CML16GX3M4A1600C9B DDR3 1600 16G Kit (4Gx4)
ASUS DI-EN680G2 GTX680 2GB GDDR5
ANTEC HCG900 80Plus Bronze
Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA3 6Gb/s /64MB
Lian-Li PC-X900/S ATX Case
Corsair H100
Asus DRW-24B3ST 24X DVD
Pioneer BDR-207DBK BDXL Blu-ray,

So far I'm not quite happy with the GTX680 performance, so I might for a month to for a better gtx (if anybody has any info of when it is coming out, please let me know :))
Thanks!
13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about build
  1. It would be nice to know a little more detail. What are the intended uses for the system?
  2. Agreed. Please use the sticky at the top of this subforum.
  3. solely for gaming.... planning in using a 24" monitor and might get a 3D monitor later to try it out... what do u mean by sticky...
  4. Best answer
    Follow this format: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice

Edit your original by clicking the bottom right of your original post with the pencil and paper.

So, basically, switch the following components:

CPU: i5-2500k
    You don't see much of an improvement beyond i5-2500k. IB if you want it.

Mobo: I'd go with an ASRock Z77 Extreme4, but alternatives include:
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
    ASUS Z77
    ASUS Z68
    Gigabyte (Z77 or Z68)

SSD: I don't know much about it. Try for Crucial, Intel, or Samsung.

RAM: 8GB is PLENTY. However, make sure that your RAM is 1.5v or lower. CAS9, too (9-9-9-24ish timings).

GPU: I'd get the MSI Twin Frozr II OC version of the 680. Nothing better is coming out.

PSU: I'd get the PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK II 950W Silver Rated (or the 750W version)

HDD: Make sure it's 7200rpm

Case: I'd go with the Corsair 400R or another Corsair case. However, Lian-Li is very reliable. Are you going for silence?
  5. ddan49 said:
    Follow this format: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice

Edit your original by clicking the bottom right of your original post with the pencil and paper.

So, basically, switch the following components:

CPU: i5-2500k
    You don't see much of an improvement beyond i5-2500k. IB if you want it.

Mobo: I'd go with an ASRock Z77 Extreme4, but alternatives include:
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
    ASUS Z77
    ASUS Z68
    Gigabyte (Z77 or Z68)

SSD: I don't know much about it. Try for Crucial, Intel, or Samsung.

RAM: 8GB is PLENTY. However, make sure that your RAM is 1.5v or lower. CAS9, too (9-9-9-24ish timings).

GPU: I'd get the MSI Twin Frozr II OC version of the 680. Nothing better is coming out.

PSU: I'd get the PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK II 950W Silver Rated (or the 750W version)

HDD: Make sure it's 7200rpm

Case: I'd go with the Corsair 400R or another Corsair case. However, Lian-Li is very reliable. Are you going for silence?

Thanks ddan49, It's ok for me if there is some fan noise, what I want from the case is to be easy to clean the dust (with loads of dust filters), then I don't hv to open the case and clean inside... My i can't really post the links for the items here, it is because I live in Macau, and we don't buy stuff through the internet here... is the mobo Z77 better than the x79?
  6. The 500R has a dust filter. :)
  7. Most cases have dust filters... especially Corsair cases. Could you post the name of a case you're considering?
  8. Lian-Li PC-X900/S ATX Case
  9. That's a lot of fans! However, I can't seem to figure out if the fans are protected by dust covers... they should be, but it looks like mesh. You've got a physical version, right? Since you're not buying online? I'll bet you could check for it to have dust covers.

Also, a tip for not having as much dust: have more intake than exhaust. That's called a positive-pressure system, and, obviously, it has positive pressure that doesn't allow dust to get sucked in the cracks.

However, no matter how good your filters are, make sure you take a can of compressed air every year (6 months is preferable) and clean out the inside and your components. We all have to.
  10. ppv said:
    Thanks ddan49, It's ok for me if there is some fan noise, what I want from the case is to be easy to clean the dust (with loads of dust filters), then I don't hv to open the case and clean inside... My i can't really post the links for the items here, it is because I live in Macau, and we don't buy stuff through the internet here... is the mobo Z77 better than the x79?

The Z77 has an LGA 1155 socket, which is suitable for the i5 that someone suggested above (if it's only for gaming then I second this). The X79 has an LGA 2011 socket, which is the one you need for the processor you posted first. So depending on the processor, choose the corresponding motherboard.
  11. Best answer selected by ppv.
  12. thank you all ;)
  13. No problem! Feel free to post here if you have any more questions or pm me!
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Asus New Build Systems