Connecting ap to laptop and ps3?

million3g

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
hello i want to know if its possible to connect to the internet via usb adapter to my laptop, then connect an access point to my laptop so my ps3 can connect wireless?.....the reason i ask is my connection is on the 3rd floor, which cannot be moved, while my ps3 is in the basement and barely has a signal and keeps logging out out of psn..... thanks

c911darkwolf

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
Some Alternate Solutions
1. Most routers (belkins for sure) have a wireless extender mode which all they do is boost your wireless and relay the signal. Just place a used/cheap router on the 1st or 2nd floor in extender mode. to better boost your wifi

2. Buy a better class router.. i.e. Class N150 gets better range then class G, N300 > N150....

3. See if there are larger attenas available for your router (linksys usually offers these).

The problem with your current setup is it may be difficult to setup, and requires a laptop constantly running and in range to work.

You will have some time to play with this since, PSN is pretty much fubar for the moment.

million3g

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
i dont mind the laptop running a lot right now because im in the process of building a media box and that will be done within a week or so its not that big of a deal. I was planning on connecting a hawking dish to it already because i tried a friends dish and i had a great signal. And I already had tried the belkin thing but only gained a bar in signal strength with my laptop down there and only like 5% on my ps3 so im kind of in a pickle lol. But psn is still down? i havent been on a little while but will be more since I.bmmm laid me off :(