Help needed installing the cables of a new PSU!!! Pics Preferred

WILDLEGHORN

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
I just got a brand new gaming rig & i need help connecting the cables of the SeaSonic S12II 620Watts Bronze PSU's cables to the ASRock Z77 Extreme 4's

1) motherboard (which one?)
2) CPU (how to identify the appropriate cable)
3) GPU (Zotac 670 Amp!- uses 2 six pin pcie connectors but how do they look like?)

I do know how to connect the PSU's cables to HDD, fans, DVD drive, etc....

Anything other I should be connecting apart from the ones i listed above?? Am I missing something important to connect???

PICTORIAL EXPLANATION OF CABLES OF THIS PSU IS PREFERRED!!

Plz help me out, i just got the PSU right now & the manual doesn't help out much at all :(

Solution

Wow, you're really confusing yourself and worrying over nothing.

That PSU just has two 8 pin 12V connectors (the 4+4 and the solid 8). They're both EXACTLY the same, and either one can be used. It doesn't matter, just pick one and go with it. It'll be totally fine.

carowden

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
1.The motherboard will be the one with the most pins, the biggest one (24 pins)

2.the cpu will have either 4 pins, or 8 pins (may be a 4pin x 2 arrangement) and the plug for it will be close to the cpu socket on the motherboard

3.just count the plugs that have 6 pins, there should only be one style that actually fits in the graphics card sockets.

WILDLEGHORN

Distinguished
May 2, 2011

1) got it : ))

2) This one is the problem!! I have TWO 8 pin connectors!?
One is 2x4pins (2 separate 4 pin connectors) while the other one is 8 pin in itself (a single 8 pin plug)...

Which should i use for CPU???? And what about the other one??

3) got both of em, one is 6+2 pin & another one is just 6 pin

Lfluxx

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
24pin Motherboard cable =

WH-M2424-500.jpg

Cpu cable =

12v.jpg

GPU =

pcie-connectors.jpg

That should be roughly similar, the cables should be labled but obviously not.

EDIT :

Ah you found it then.
Looking at the site that looks like the EPS12V which is used for servers, so use the 4+4 for the cpu and the 6+2 and 6 for the GPU. I don't think you will need to use it, does it look the same as the cpu one?

WILDLEGHORN

Distinguished
May 2, 2011

1) mobo connector understood!

2) Gpu connectors understood! One is 6+2 pin & other one is 6 pin only so all pcie cables done, NO MORE pcie cables left to account for since this smps only has 2 pcie cables & one is 6pin while other is 6+2. Hence no pcie cables remaining!

3) You need to understand that i still have TWO 8 pin connectors left here!
One of them is detachable one 2x4pins (the one u showed in 2nd pic for cpu)
And other one is a nondetachable 8pin connector made of 2 rows of 4pins (but it's non-detachable)

If the first 8 pin (the one u showed) is for CPU then what's the other 8 pin non-detachable one there for??

carowden

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
like i said the second 8 pin is a pci e connector, same as the 6+2 pin connector. the 2x4 is for the cpu. If you have an 8 pin cpu connetor on the motherboard, use both sides, if you have a 4 pin cpu connector, look at both sides and see which side fits it, then plug it in.

WILDLEGHORN

Distinguished
May 2, 2011

According to u there should be 3 pci-ex cables with this psu but it's not according to the "details" page over @ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151096

If u look below carefully u will find that it has 2 pci-ex cables but according to u there are 3?? Not possible!!

carowden

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
haha easy there, its just an extra socket then, whatever you want to call it. just dont plug it in, there will be plenty of unused plugs. the 2x4pin plug is the cpu plug to answer your question. i might have misspoken by calling it a pcie plug, but im still pretty sure its used for graphics card applications. if you have a 2x6pin graphics card then this 8 pin plug is unused in your computer

WILDLEGHORN

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
you are completely wrong & i can already guess this, no offence!!
it clearly says it has 2 pci-ex connectors-
one is 6 pin
other one is 6+2= 8 pin

so there goes the story of pci ex cables!!
but what i wanna know is what that extra 8 pin non-detachable cable is there for!
i wanna know!!

WILDLEGHORN

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
With some help I definitely can...that's why I'm here

i just need to know the correct 8pin CPU connector-
Is it the 8pin non-detachable one or the one shown in pic 2 by lfluxx??

This is all i need to fig out

carowden

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
thats used in servers so you should be good to go. i admit i was wrong about the pci e thing, but its still not something used in your application, as said by ifluxx...and i would use the 4+4 connector

Wow, you're really confusing yourself and worrying over nothing.

That PSU just has two 8 pin 12V connectors (the 4+4 and the solid 8). They're both EXACTLY the same, and either one can be used. It doesn't matter, just pick one and go with it. It'll be totally fine.

Solution

WILDLEGHORN

Distinguished
May 2, 2011

OK THANK YOU!!!

Such a clear cut answer! THANK YOU : ))

WILDLEGHORN

Distinguished
May 2, 2011

Can i PM u for some silly stuff like this??

i really am super duper extra cautious when it comes to PC hardware...

Just got my latest gaming rig today so can i?? : ))

Lfluxx

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

The way i see it is that the 2x4 cpu plug is used for normal consumer desktop motherboards whereas the second 8pin eps connector is used on higher end workstation motherboards with dual processors, so no use to you.

Here are some info :

S12II-Bronze-04.jpg

EPS12V is a special, non-ATX standard adopted by the Server System Infrastructure (SSI) group to provide a more powerful and stable environment for critical server-based systems and applications. EPS12V equipment is not compatible with standard ATX or ATX12V PCs found in homes and offices. Power supplies built to the EPS12V standard include a 24-pin motherboard power connector and an 8-pin +12V connector. (Source: Antec)

basically an 8 pin power connect on a mobo for up to 2 extra rails of 12v power. In some server boards it's used for redundant power supplies, I think some others use it for dual procs on separate rails. Like firemist said, more stability....fewer volt drops etc.

That's what other people have said about the EPS12v.

The picture also shows that your PSU ( The bottom one ) Has the EPS12v/ATX12V ( 4+4 Pin ) and the EPS 12v ( Solid 8 Pin ).

Hopefully that should clear some stuff up for you!

Nevermind, I was too slow again! :p

Glad you found your answer after all of that haha