Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media

Last response: in Systems
Share
April 25, 2012 4:53:57 AM

I received my computer today, basically it's home built but not. I picked out all the parts, and paid an extra 30 bucks for the technicians to actually assemble AND test my computer for me. (Since I actually have no clue how to assemble a computer, and I didn't want to attempt and screw up).

So I didn't personally build it, but it's all my chosen parts. All parts were tested before shipping.

I got the computer today and I'm trying to boot Windows 7. And i'm getting "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media".

BUT here's the thing... It's not that it's not recognizing the drive, I experimented and put in the CD that came with the motherboard, and it booted up no problem. But whatever I do this god damn windows 7 CD will just NOT boot up.

I made sure the drive was on 1st priority before the HDD.

Specs are:

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Quad Core Processor AM3 3.4GHZ 8MB Cache 125W 45NM
ASUS DRW-24B1ST 24X SATA DVD Writer OEM Black
Mushkin Enhanced Silverline Stiletto 4GB 2X2GB PC3-10666 DDR3-1333
XFX 650W PRO650W Core Edition Single Rail ATX 12V 53A 24PIN ATX Power Supply 80PLUS B
XFX Radeon HD 6770 850MHZ 1GB 4.8GHZ GDDR5 PCI-E DVI HDMI
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB 3.5IN 16MB Cache SATA3 Internal Hard Disk Drive HDD
MSI 760GM-P21 (FX) mATX AM3+ 760G DDR3 1PCI-E16 1PCI-E 1PCI SATA2 RAID LAN Audio VGA Motherboard


i'm seriously about to cry :( 
a b B Homebuilt system
April 25, 2012 11:16:26 AM

Make sure that you don't have any usb's plugged in anywhere.
Make sure your bios isn't set to RAID.
Make sure all drivers are loaded from MSI's disk.
m
0
l
April 25, 2012 6:24:01 PM

Chaz21 said:
Make sure that you don't have any usb's plugged in anywhere.
Make sure your bios isn't set to RAID.
Make sure all drivers are loaded from MSI's disk.


No USB's are plugged in besides my mouse and keyboard, i'm sorry for the noob question but how do I make sure the bios aren't set to RAID?

my raid mode is set to "AHCI"
m
0
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
April 25, 2012 6:33:46 PM

surrenderz said:
No USB's are plugged in besides my mouse and keyboard, i'm sorry for the noob question but how do I make sure the bios aren't set to RAID?

my raid mode is set to "AHCI"

Try changing it to ide.
m
0
l
April 25, 2012 6:36:05 PM

Chaz21 said:
Try changing it to ide.


Changed it to IDE and tried booting - nothing. Still same message.
m
0
l
April 25, 2012 6:41:06 PM

I think this might be a completely dumb suggestion but it shouldn't hurt anything.... Try putting the HDD ahead of the CD drive instead....
m
0
l
April 25, 2012 6:49:45 PM

Chaz21 said:
Download this:
http://www.msi.com/service/download/manual-17990.html
and see what it tells you.


It's RAID configuration, should I do this? Will it mess anything up?

niknovacain said:
I think this might be a completely dumb suggestion but it shouldn't hurt anything.... Try putting the HDD ahead of the CD drive instead....


No thats not dumb, I tried it already though.
m
0
l
April 25, 2012 7:37:56 PM

Should I try booting Windows 7 via USB? It is an OEM Windows 7, so is it possible that the drive is just simply not reading it?
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 25, 2012 11:18:20 PM

surrenderz said:
Should I try booting Windows 7 via USB? It is an OEM Windows 7, so is it possible that the drive is just simply not reading it?

Well USB certainly is an option and can't hurt. That's how I installed on my PC. Make sure to change your bios though.
m
0
l
April 26, 2012 6:31:54 AM

Chaz21 said:
Well USB certainly is an option and can't hurt. That's how I installed on my PC. Make sure to change your bios though.


Thanks. I got it to work and I'm not typing this on my brand new build! :) 

Thanks guys for your responses. In the future, if this would help anybody or you would like to know how i got it working :

I looked up a tutorial and found a program to get all the Windows 7 files and it took about 20 minutes to make it a bootable USB drive. I simply plugged it into the new computer, entered the BIOS, made sure the USB drive was 1st Priority, save and exited, restarted and boom, windows loaded.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 26, 2012 10:44:30 AM

Glad to hear it! Best of luck with your new build. :) 
m
0
l
Related resources
!