Sign in with
Your question

GTX 280 causing new computer build to freeze?

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Gtx
  • Computer
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 17, 2012 3:44:36 AM

Hey everyone, new to the forums here... and really need some help. I'm stuck!

I recently decided to upgrade my computer... which has now turned into basically rebuilding of the whole dang thing. Previously I was using an intel quad core 3.0ghz, 8 gb ram, gtx 280, and a gigabyte mobo. Everything was working fine, but things began to slow down over the summer and I decided it was time for an upgrade.

I upgraded to a gigabyte mobo (GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3P), intel i7 2600k, 16 gb gskill ripjaw ram, and an OCZ III SSD 60 gb for windows 7... but i decided I would still keep my old graphics card on board (the GTX 280).

After trying to load windows and trouble shoot it with a friend, we realized that after installing windows, 50% of the time we would restart the machine and it would flawlessly boot, and other times the computer would freeze up or not do anything (on boot up/boot down). So we trouble shot some stuff and ended up disconnecting the video card and using on board graphics. Only then did we get 100% performance by the machine. Once again, when we plugged back in the video card... trouble arose.

We were now thinking that somehow, someway windows 7 + the motherboard + the graphics card don't like eachother... maybe even the SSD has a role in this. Because previously... the comp worked fine, was just a little junked up from years of use.

To try and test this we wiped windows, and installed mint linux. Linux runs fine. No flaws. No hangups. Fast start ups and reboots etc.

I tried to put the most recent drivers for the card on my machine, and that didn't fix anything.

Has anyone heard of such a thing? I know windows 7 can be a real pain... but the only thing different between my old build and new build that the GTX 280 would be having problems with is the mobo, processor, or ssd.

ANY thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated, as the card I have is a BFG Tech GTX 280, and they are no longer in business and I can no longer contact them with help for this card!

Thanks so much,
George

More about : gtx 280 causing computer build freeze

a b Î Nvidia
February 17, 2012 8:29:09 AM

PSU?
m
l
February 17, 2012 3:25:11 PM

Psu is working fine... Just replaced that too... Brand new. It's a 900w
m
l