Solved

$500 Quiet NAS(Win 2008) Build

I'm building a new NAS box to replace my old Athlon XP/Abit Mobo box running Win 2008. My goal is to find a good balance between storage, speed, power consumption, and noise. It's going to be headless running Windows 2008 server.

Services it will provide are:
File Server
Centralized Backups
Single Sign On (Active directory)
MySQL server(for my xbmc installations to sync to )
DNS
DHCP

Hardware for my build:
5x Samsung 2TB SATA 3Gbps drives

1x GIGABYTE GA-A75M-D2H FM1 AMD A75 (Hudson D3) SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
1x AMD A6-3500 Llano 2.1GHz
1x Scythe SCSK-1100 100mm Shuriken Rev. B 3 Heat Pipes CPU Cooler

2x G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL

1x Fractal Design Define R3 Black Pearl w/ USB 3.0 ATX Mid Tower Silent PC Computer Case
1x SeaSonic SS-300ET Bronze 300W ATX12V V2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

No SATA controller needed as the system has 6 SATA controllers (5 for raid, 1 left for system/ssd drive )
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about quiet 2008 build
  1. Looks OK to me and should be really quiet. You could fit that many drives into the Define Mini as well by the way (just in case you wanted a smaller system). That can fit 6 drives and an extra one in one of the 5.25'' slots if you use the included adapter so 7 total.

EDIT: Also I would change to this RAM to ensure that it fits under that CPU cooler:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231550
  2. It is really quiet! I might need to upgrade the power supply as I now have 6 drives, and want to add 3 more eventually.

The RAM was a tight fit. I was afraid it wouldn't snap in but I got it to go.
  3. Best answer
    That PSU should be fine for 9 drives in terms of wattage, you might need more connectors though.
  4. I'm giving you best answer, though the PSU did prove not to be up to the task. After a couple of days the NAS box started rebooting with the power led flashing for a bit. it was slow at first, then started becoming more frequent. Finally I pulled the 300W PSU out and placed on old 380Watt in there. I wasn't sure if it would work since the mobo has a 24pin connecter and the old PSU only had 20 pins.

I did some research and discovered the extra pins were to provide more power for power-hungry system, and were entirely necessary. Its been running fine with the old PSU, but ordered a 620Watt one since I'll be adding 4 more drives , and probably an 8-port SATAIII card and a dual-port gigabit ethernet card( so more power will be needed ) .

Thanks again!
  5. Best answer selected by jagooch.
  6. It may have been a faulty unit, 300W should be fine for those drives really. No harm in having a bit extra though.

EDIT: Had a typo
  7. True. I have the same one in my HTPC, so one day soon I'll put it into that system and see how it behaves with a much lower load( same hardware but only one hard drive )
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build NAS / RAID Systems Product