Need Advice($400 budget)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkyChotik

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
So I'm looking at two possibilities, not ruling anything out that's in my budget.

My current system specs are:

AMD FX-4100
Radeon HD 4350 <--NEED TO GET RID OF
4GB DDR3 1600
AsRock 990FX Extreme3
Crucial M4 64GB SSD
WD 1TB "Green" Hard Drive
NZXT Tempest 410 Elite(CASE)

I can do 3-way multi-gpu and I have a $400 budget. I was actually looking at Dual 6870's.
I've seen very mixed opinions of the Multi-GPU vs Brand New Single GPU.

I came here to ask if anybody could give me advice on what to grab.
A little help making a decision would be much appreciated.

Solution
dual hd 6870 will perform better then single hd 6970 but the single high end will be always an right choice but go for an good cpu which is more future proof like fx 8150 and dual hd 6870.:)

sunnk

Distinguished
no need to change your cpu just overclock it over 4.0ghz and you will be fine with 2 hd 6870 fx chips are very good in overclocking so you should also get 4.5ghz but no need to go there just overclock it over 4.0ghz.

RussK1

Splendid

Sell the FX-4100 as it's going to bottleneck you. There's a reason it's only $100... Get the 970BE or 980BE. Then get 2 of any of the following: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%204017&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICED&PageSize=20

Farcical people keep recommending bad advice... FX just flat out sucks! Go Intel of Phenom II NOT Zambezi otherwise known as FX.

Agreed.
coming from someone who had the fx 4100 and then got rid of it; it will bottleneck a single enthusiast card let alone an xfire setup even when overclocked to extremes. It is slow per clock and the new architecture has compatibility issues with certain games and programs.
A Pii 965 and above are a better choice as far as amd goes. You could get a Pii and still squeeze an enthusiast card in your budget

RussK1

Splendid

More credibility from someone who has actually owned the chip personally.

OP can keep the heatsink and sell the 4100... Newegg has the OEM 970BE for $129. Micro Center has the i3-2100 for $99.99 and the 960T BE for $109.99; in these cases he can get rid of the heatsink and sell the 4100 in it's entirety. Then get a top-notch GPU or 2 mid-market cards.

SkyChotik

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
Well, I'm trying to save money for college and a car, and I plan to drag this computer through college with me. With X-Fire would it really bottleneck me that much since the motherboard has x16,x16 for dual-gpu?

sunnk

Distinguished
dual hd 6870 will perform better then single hd 6970 but the single high end will be always an right choice but go for an good cpu which is more future proof like fx 8150 and dual hd 6870.:)

Solution

sunnk

Distinguished
well fx chips are good for overclocking and not for gaming so you should get an phenom ii x6 1090t,1100t or phenom ii x 4 980be this chips are good in both overclocking and gaming this chips will be cheaper and better then fx 8150 in some cases just make sure your mobo support that chips.better to go with cheaper with high performance.

here you can see the differences in gaming performance between fx and phenom chips phenom does the job really well then the fx chips.

http://www.legionhardware.com/articles_pages/amd_fx_8150fx_8120fx_6100_and_fx_4170,6.html

SkyChotik

Distinguished
May 28, 2011

I like my AMD Products.

&& The SSD is amazing, windows boots in just a tiny amount of time, and I just have my main programs on it.

To everyone else: I don't buy Processors with more than 4 cores due to compatibility issues with programs.

SkyChotik

Distinguished
May 28, 2011

My motherboard supports both 3-Way CFX and Quad SLI.
I've never liked intel products due to heat issues. (I'm on the top floor of my house, summer comes around and they burn up.)

and so far I like my CPU. I came here for some GPU help, not CPU.
I did my research, and I don't use CPU intensive work.

Sandy bridge doesnt have " heat issues"
Your motherboard might support multi gpu but the 4100 bottlenecks a single enthusiast card let alone a multi gpu setup. So that fancy schmancy mobo you have is a waste with the 4100 in there. If youre wanting to xfire you will need a 965be or above and overclocked. The 4100 might be well able to overclock but is slow even still. Ive had one and got rid of it.
This does pertain to your situation as if you want to do a single high end gpu or multiple gpu setup then that would be wasted money on framerates you wouldnt see due to the bottlenecking.
So you see you might not have wanted cpu talk but it directly affects your gpu so it is necessary to take into consideration when making a decision.
Just because someone tells you what you want.to hear doesnt mean its correct or the best advice out there
if you plan on gaming the cpu comes into factor and the 4100 will choke what we have already talked about. Im trying to save you money based on what gpu would be a good balance for a budget cpu such as the 4100

Status
Not open for further replies.