garethterry2007

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
Hi Guys,

First post so hoping for the best......let me know what you think - thanks.

My i7 desktop. I upgraded to 14gb about 2months ago. Everything worked fine (Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit) Happy days. My little girl started sneaking around and turning it off from time to time which was annoying! however, not too long after that it just started shutting down randomly for no reason what so ever. And now it's at the point where it barely boots without shutting down. Bare in mind it's had a fresh OS install - and currently works fine in safe mode. If it does actually boot it's ok for a little while then shuts down. If you try to run AVG scan it shuts down instantly. Ok - so I think.....CPU is overheating. I'll check the cooler fan is working (which it was) ok so I'll check for thermal paste on the CPU (wiped it off and reapplied new paste) Brought the temp right down, so I'm thinking happy days! No good - still just shuts down. So, I remove parts and use compressed air. I notice that the graphics card is fairly hot, so figure maybe it's that overheating. I think what the hell it I'll buy a new one.....graphics card arrived today - stuck it in and booted up with fingers crossed, nope! It shut down before even getting to the windows screen. I've removed memory and tested memory and it's not that. I've ran check disk on HD and that seems ok. Fans are working so I would have thought that suggests the internal power supply is ok. Oh and it just shut down in safe mode while running AVG scan via cmd. It's not AVG at fault either as I've removed it, re-installed, ran without it etc etc. I have also updated to the latest BIOS version and I've reset the CMOS. I seem to have ruled everything out. I'm thinking it must be the power supply not getting enough power to the the machine (however it always has done up until now - 2yrs approx)Current supply = ATX 500C so it's 500W. I NEVER play games so nothing strenuous. I'm on last resort really and thinking of getting a 650w power supply and hoping that resolves the issue. What are your thoughts guys, any input appreciated. Thanks,

Gareth

popatim

Titan
If the bios shutdown the pc due to heat there should be a message when it boots back up. If windows shut it down then there'd be one in the system log.
If the PSU is dropping power then it would just turn right off and probably causing grief with your hard drive, possible corrupting files/data and hopefully not a head crash.

anyways you can boot and go into the bios and monitior your heat and fan speed.
pay attention to the thermal limits you have set (or defaults) and see if your temps reach that point. If it shuts down without reaching those temps then its a fair chance that its the psu or the on/off or reset button on the case is flakey. You can turn the pc on and then remove those from the front panel motherbd header and if the pc doesnt shut down then yup, one of them is flakey.

garethterry2007

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
Yes agreed - I'm going for a new CPU. Now then....this is where it can go one way or another. As I say I'm not a gamer so a 1000w corsair I don't believe is necessary. But does anyone have experience with cheap and cheerful like these 700w - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silent-ACE-700W-AXT-PC-Power-Supply-Unit-With-Sata-PCI-Experess-Power-700W-PSU-/140625714527?pt=UK_Computing_PowerSupplies_EH&hash=item20bdf21d5f - I figure if it does the job then great why spend £100 when you can get the same thing for £20. Taking into account I've already wasted money on an unnecessary new graphics card :)

Doubtful

1) That's not even close to a 700 watt psu
2) If you're willing to buy a cheap psu every 2 years then continue to do so, eventually it will catch up to you and will almost certainly cost you more than just the psu

popatim

Titan
I've never heard of that brand and cant get to ebay here at work. Google for reviews, professional reviews preferred, and if you find alot of bad ones or none at all then keep away.

Perhaps someone in the UK can suggest a reputable cheaper PSU.

garethterry2007

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
Thanks for your input guys. I know this isn't the best PSU in the world, and the price probably reflects the quality. However, I'm using trial and error in an attempt to resolve this issue so I don't want to spend a fortune on a PSU only to discover that the issues is with the CPU, Motherboard etc. Anyway.....I bought this little ripper 5mins ago so will update you in a couple of days when it arrives. At least this will wither confirm or eliminate a PSU problem for £20 which I'm happy with :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ACE-750W-PSU-12cm-Red/dp/B006FUTT38/ref=pd_sim_sbs_computers_4/278-7897532-8824548

garethterry2007

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
Well guys it worked. It was the PSU - I bought this cheap crap as a tester and as yet (touch wood) I honestly can't complain. As crazy as it sounds it's extremely quiet and at least at the moment seems to be doing a good job. I'm sure it's not actually 750w but what the hell it works. If it fails at any point then that'll be my mind made up to purchase a corsair or something similar. You can't really grumble though for £20 - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280754464830?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Not saying this to be rude but you just had a prime example of why not to buy a 20 dollar psu, your daughter turned it off and it started having issues (improperly I know but thats not the point) if any type of power outage happens or lightning hits then I assume its going to take more than the power supply this time, you were extremely lucky that a power supply without any protection circuitry didn't fry your entire build.

Its like buying a ring out of a gumball machine and expecting to get passable fake diamonds.