Sign in with
Your question

New heatsink fan

Last response: in Components
August 7, 2012 9:31:06 PM

Hello, i am looking for an upgrade for the dell optiplex gx280 heatsink fan, i recently bought a intel pentium d proccesor and my current fan isnt powerful enough, so i need a fan that can cool a dual core (socket 775(.

More about : heatsink fan

August 8, 2012 3:46:24 AM

Slimline case or mid-tower?
August 8, 2012 4:45:55 PM

Slimline, I know what size my current fan is too (80mm x 80mm) and i need a 5 pin connector, i have been looking at this fan and the speed is 2500 rpm, is that good enough for a dual core?
Related resources
August 8, 2012 8:25:51 PM

The size and RPM are fine, but the size of the heat sync needs to be considered too. Intel heatsync/fans that are designed for the Pentium D are all 4 wire to the best of my knowledge. +12V, Gnd, tach, PWM. What was the processor that was originally in your PC? Can you post which HS/F you want to use?
August 8, 2012 10:19:53 PM

AN intel pentium 4 2.8ghz was originally in my pc, and do i have to get a new heatsink or can i just stick a new fan on my old one?
August 9, 2012 12:21:26 AM

snorlax12 said:
AN intel pentium 4 2.8ghz was originally in my pc, and do i have to get a new heatsink or can i just stick a new fan on my old one?

I can't say if a new one will fit without knowing which motherboard you have. The older P4 heatsyncs were a different design than the ones today. Is this what your existing one looks like?
http://www.discountelectronics.com/index.php?l=product_...
The problem is, the P4 was a single core processor. The Pentium D is a dual core. It produces more heat due to the added core. If someone more familiar with the older processors doesn't jump in, I would suggest using the existing one for now and keep a temperature pgm running to monitor the CPU temp. Core Temp is easy to use and it can display the temp in the Win tray while you do your normal stuff. http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/ (to avoid loading bloatware, click on "more downloads" and chose the one for your O/S)

Watch that the temp doesn't go above the Tjmax while you perform your usual activities. Core Temp will show what the TjMax is for your processor. If it starts getting close, the heatsync isn't doing its job.
August 12, 2012 9:25:09 PM

ok i am looking at this fan with 2500 rpm and its the right size for my heatsink, but its a case fan, would that still work ?
!