Need Advice on a ~$800 system for Introductory Video Editing

nexbot

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
Guys, I've wanted to get into making music videos for my band for a while, so this will be used for both editing video (HD if possible, budget wise) and also music production.

I have experience with audio, but am brand new to the video realm of things and therefore would like a system that would be great to learn video editing on (likely using Avid Media Composer) without breaking the bank as I don't think it makes sense to drop *too* much cash to learn something I have no experience with.

Approximate Purchase Date: 2 Weeks

Budget Range: 600-800 Before Rebates (Not including Monitor)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Video Editing, Audio Production, , Photoshop, Watching Movies (no gaming)

Parts Not Required: case, hard drives, optical drive, keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS, editing program

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com (or any reputable)

Parts Preferences: Intel

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: Open to suggestions

Additional Comments: I would like a quiet PC, other than that I want the best bang for the buck as far as power for video editing is concerned.

I already have:

1x Thermaltake Element G ATX Mid Tower Computer Case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133086

1x CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W EPS12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

2x Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284

2x Seagate 3TB USB3.0 External Drives (couldn't find link for these exact ones)

and some generic DVD drive.

Will I need a RAID controller, video interface, or more drives? I have zero experience working with a RAID setup.

Gentlemen, what say you?

AH-64 Longbow

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
I would recommend an i7 Ivy Bridge unlocked (ends with a K). They have the latest HD 4000 Graphics on the CPU Die. Some will argue for a Graphics card and they are not wrong but if you start with a i7 3770K, you may be happy enough without one. You could always buy one later if the Intel graphics are not enough.

I think you can figure out the mobo you want on your own but I can respond back if you want. I recomend a *7x boaad but that may not be true for you. h77 z77 ect.

The case and PSU should be fine for what you're doing. even 1, not SLI, GPU won't top that PSU yet.

For RAID; I would get a mobo with the capability, and possibly with Intel SRT. You don't need to know more about it yet, but RAID can speed things up and add redundancy. If your HDDs are a major bottleneck, a tip is to compress them. With video editing this won't really help unless the videos are uncompressed (very unlikely). I would have the RAID features available, but not worry about using them until later. Also, the new Seagate barracuda line at 3TB is cheap and fast, by some comparisons. Avoid SSD for now, worry about other components first Unless you happen to have the money. RAID is on new Intel CPU (if enabled). depends on mobo too.

A good CPU cooler will be quite. I would try not to exceed 20-25 decibels. Be careful that i doesn't cover you RAM slots, this is a problem nowadays.

RAM over 1800MHz seems not to make enough of a difference for the money. You will need 8GB -16 GB. The new LGA 1155 socket takes up to 32 GB. RAM can sometimes really help editing. Faster RAM can matter.

Video editing software I have no good ideas on. I use Vegas from Sony and I am ok with it, but there has to better. Most people swear it off. My main issue is after an edit I still have to transcode to my preferred format and it has trouble with some audio tracks (WAV is fine).

This isn't quite complete so just let me know where you need help. Also Ivy Bridge releases 04 29 2012 and is backward compatible with Sandy Bridge if you want to save money for now, but th Ivy will do the best for you IMHO.

nexbot

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
I was definitely thinking of getting a high end Ivy Bridge, it didn't occur to me to try it without a dedicated video card first! Thanks!

I've heard a lot of talk about the z77 boards for some reason. If there's any you'd specifically recommend please let me know!

Re: the PSU, really? I thought for sure I'd have to upgrade, but if it'll run this new system with possibly one decent video card, then sweet!

I've heard a lot of pos. feedback regarding the Cooler Master Hyper 212. Thoughts?

I was thinking about getting this RAM:

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231486

Is this fast enough, or should I go with RAM that's 1600MHz? Also, I've noticed most guys get dimms in smaller individual values (4 Gigs usually). Is there any downside to getting 8 Gig dimms?

Thank you for the help!!