HELP! First build!.... Music production build.

MidgetMafia

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
Hi, I am looking to make a Custom pc tower that would be ideal for music production and also allow me to upload my music to websites like Soundcloud. I don’t care for the budget, but cheaper the better. I really don’t know much about the hardware so I trust your judgment. I not looking for an over the top tower performance wise but I am looking for a very good build. The build will need to run programs with ease and have USB ports for external hard drives. Also brownie points if you can fit my tower case idea.

Thank you! :D

Approximate Purchase Date: Sooner the better

Budget Range: $800-1000 + or - Before / After Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Strictly Music Production and internet
Parts Not required: keyboard, mouse, monitor and speakers

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com, us.ncix.com or your preferred site

Parts Preferences: Full tower case, CD reader/Burner and preferably a good windows operating system

Overclocking: NO

SLI or Crossfire: NO

Monitor Resolution: 32” LCD or 22’ dell flat screen monitor
Additional Comments: I would need a quiet pc for recording and if possible a black custom full tower case with a window and red lights. I don’t know if you can put a Name on the tower, but if you can I would like SPC or Solid Paper Chasers. If you could make the name stand out like light up or glow that would be ideal.

Any particular reason you want the full tower case? You definitely don't need all that room as you will most likely use integrated graphics/external hard drives etc.

Having windows and a quiet PC is a bit contradictory as well to be honest. One of the ways a case is made quieter is to have solid panels without vents and windows to keep the sound in.

In terms of performance, this kind of thing needs a decent CPU like an i5. The Ivy Bridge ones in particular should be very good for you because the integrated graphics are very good and they have a lower TDP, making it easier to make the system quieter.

This would be my choice at your budget:

Intel Core i5-3570K - (Released at the end of the month, should be around $220)
G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1600Mhz - $44.99
ASRock Z77 Pro3 - $109.99
Integrated HD 4000 graphics
Intel 520 Series 120GB - $159.99
SeaSonic SS-300ET Bronze 300W - $39.99
LIAN LI PC-A05FNB - $89.99
Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo - $34.99
Samsung DVD Burner - $16.99

Total - ~$720 on Newegg

If you think you need more storage, you could add a hard drive to that too. I would put any more spare cash toward a second monitor, dual monitors are great for this sort of thing.

That should be extremely quiet and that case is particular is quite plain and great for modding.

MidgetMafia

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012

Hey, Thank you so much for helping me! :D I didn't do much research so i thought i would need a full case. I wanted windows because I also want to look sick. This build is not for me its going to be a gift. Is there is a way to have a window and have it not be so loud? My friend is planing on have a sound proof room in the future and we can work around some little noise. It sounds like you know what your talking about so if you think its better with out windows and all that "bling" let me know. Thank you once again.

As I said, you don't really need a full tower because you don't need a big graphics card or a huge amount of hard drives etc. You could easily do this is a little mATX tower.

You could get a case with a window and just remove most of the fans because you should only need one on the case anyway really. That should still be pretty quiet.

See if you like the looks of something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119196

You could certainly get away with disconnecting the front and top fans there, this build wouldn't generate much heat at all, especially with that Coolermaster heatsink. Then that would still be pretty quiet and you get a window and lights.

EDIT: Looks are a personal thing though, I actually think that Lian Li case looks fantastic.