Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

AMD 7950/7970 or Nvidia Kepler

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 17, 2012 9:41:06 AM

I am almost done with my first build and the only thing still giving me a headache is the GPU. The build is roughly 2000$, some of the components are:

CPU: I5 2500K
MoBo: ASUS p8z68-V Pro
Ram: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB

I have narrowed the possibilities, for the new GPU, down to the following possibilies:

AMD HD7970
AMD HD7950
A card of the new Nvidia Kepler series
If i wait for the Kepler i will run a GTX460 SLI until then.

The max price im ready to pay is the price of the 7970 of 560$. Which means that if im to wait for the Kepler i will at that time not use more than that same amount. I will admit that i have always liked the Nvida cards more but im not going to argue that the 7950/7970 are far superior to the more expensive 580.
I will not buy the system until the start of next month as i have a little money shortage. So depending on when the release date of the Kepler series i will have to wait from 1 of March until the release date.

The big question is: Is it worth waiting for the Kepler series or should i get a AMD 7950 or HD7970 now?
a b U Graphics card
February 17, 2012 9:48:53 AM

It's hard to say, since we don't have the exact specifications for Kepler. You need to ask yourself if you think the performance of the 7970 is worth the 560$. Personally I did, so I bought one, and it's worked out great for me. The overclock from 925 MHz to 1125 adds a lot of performance with very very little increase to heat, it's a very nice card.
February 17, 2012 9:58:00 AM

It's the question of the year. Who knows. If you can wait...
Related resources
February 17, 2012 10:15:20 AM

On one side i do enjoy the Nvidia cards (have always used them) and i can wait some time for the Kepler but not forever.
On the other side i used a lot of time finding the components for the computer and i really want to get it and be done with it. I know that if i wait 2-3 months i will have to search for new components and use a lot of time again.
This is not an easy decision.
a b U Graphics card
February 17, 2012 10:30:07 AM

If that's the case I don't think you'll be disappointed if you go with a 7970, the reviews speak for themselves and it will compliment what looks like a solid gaming pc :) .
February 17, 2012 10:45:24 AM

Well thanks for the advise. As i have some unexpected bills i have to pay (i drove into our garage door) i will have to wait 15 days for the next paycheck and i will make my decision from there, hoping there is new info on the kepler. :) 
a b U Graphics card
February 17, 2012 11:18:36 AM

SargeK155 said:
On one side i do enjoy the Nvidia cards (have always used them) and i can wait some time for the Kepler but not forever.
On the other side i used a lot of time finding the components for the computer and i really want to get it and be done with it. I know that if i wait 2-3 months i will have to search for new components and use a lot of time again.
This is not an easy decision.

No you won't, all you have to do is change your video card. Now Ivy bridge is coming as you probably know.. Now i am not a Hardcore Fanboy for NVIDIA, infact if AMD's drivers got better reviews....I would be jumping on every high end AMD card over NVIDIA. I would just wait just see what kepler has in store, it might make ya smile:) 
February 17, 2012 11:19:25 AM

I have a few informations that ssay if kepler will run in more agressive performance that radeon..
If you still have an 460 SLI in your configurations, i think it will be wise if you waiting to compare thats two card performance.. ^_^

Btw you can imagine like this..
1. Radeon 40nm 6970 Far Less superior than 40nm 580..
2. Radeon 28nm 7970 more superior than 40nm 580..

The questions is Which one have the best performance between
Radeon 28nm 7970 and Nvidia 28nm Kepler?
I think you can make a conclusion..
a b U Graphics card
February 17, 2012 11:22:28 AM

mildsend said:
I have a few informations that ssay if kepler will run in more agressive performance that radeon..
If you still have an 460 SLI in your configurations, i think it will be wise if you waiting to compare thats two card performance.. ^_^

Btw you can imagine like this..
1. Radeon 40nm 6970 Far Less superior than 40nm 580..
2. Radeon 28nm 7970 more superior than 40nm 580..

The questions is Which one have the best performance between
Radeon 28nm 7970 and Nvidia 28nm Kepler?
I think you can make a conclusion..

Ooooo Ooooo i know the answer to this one, is it Kepler? :bounce: 
February 17, 2012 11:51:08 AM

I really don't understand why people get so restless and don't wait a little while buying something so costly and to be used for such a long time.
My opinion: Whichever of those I would have bought, I would wait till the complete picture is clear, let Kepler cards come out and buy the best card on the market. Especially since the launch is so close. Secondly, a GTX460SLI is a damn fast setup which if slightly OCed itself matches HD7950. So why not wait.
Thirdly, I really think these 2 cards will become much cheaper when Kepler series comes out.

February 17, 2012 12:11:25 PM

Since nobody has any real clue what is going on with Kepler, this question isn't a question of a card comparison but is just a question of if you want to purchase a card now.

If you purchase a 7xxx series card now, you're not gonna be disappointed - the 7970 is a beast and from what I hear so is the 7950 if you OC. If you can wait, perhaps Kepler will prove a better buy.

It makes me nervous that there has been so little concrete info out there on Kepler... I got tired of waiting and sprung for the 7970 and couldn't be happier :) . If the GTX 680 smacks the 7970 around, I'll just sell the 7970 and then get a 680.

chinuhark said:
I really don't understand why people get so restless and don't wait a little while buying something so costly and to be used for such a long time.


This is because you can ALWAYS play the waiting game in the world of GPUs. Why buy a Kepler? Why not just wait another 6 months until the Radeon 8xxx series comes out and beats it? You can apply that logic and play that game indefinitely with GPU upgrades. Sooner or later, you just need to decide that it's time to upgrade, find the best card available for what you want, and then buy it.
February 17, 2012 1:31:04 PM

Guess that i will not really get any closer to making a desicion right now. This will be a fight between lack of patience and my love for nvidia. :p 
But im pretty certain i will buy most of my build now and then when kepler comes i will decide which one to get. There arent any serious demanding games that my current pc cant play so i will manage a couple of months, and then i really hope the kepler is good ;) 
February 18, 2012 1:17:17 AM

SargeK155 said:
Guess that i will not really get any closer to making a desicion right now. This will be a fight between lack of patience and my love for nvidia. :p 
But im pretty certain i will buy most of my build now and then when kepler comes i will decide which one to get. There arent any serious demanding games that my current pc cant play so i will manage a couple of months, and then i really hope the kepler is good ;) 

Thats what I'm saying. With GTX460SLI you can easily wait as long as you want.
PS: I don't think 460SLI to HD7950 would be an upgrade. The performance would be almost same or you might get 4 to 5 frames here and there.
!