Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

No earth! Will this work?

Last response: in Components
Share
August 7, 2012 10:08:09 PM

in my home, as it is old No Earth in my house and i got gaming rig! The story is as psu comes with 3pin cord and when i plug in the cord in switch on the button but pc remain off, case gives me shock sometime and signal static like sound comes from psu! As nothing is grounded so no use of 3pin! :( 
plz plz, help me, m getting crazy plz help me to ground atleast my pc and psu. Thnx

More about : earth work

a b ) Power supply
August 7, 2012 10:13:50 PM

Call in an engineer to install a ground channel.
m
0
l
August 7, 2012 10:34:07 PM

jay_nar2012 said:
Call in an engineer to install a ground channel.

wire from case to grounded tap will not work? M looking for more practical method.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 145 ) Power supply
a b 4 Gaming
August 8, 2012 12:51:47 AM

What country are you in? Is your residential voltage 120V or 240V? Make sure your voltage selector on the PSU is set for your voltage.
m
0
l
August 8, 2012 6:54:01 PM

clutchc said:
What country are you in? Is your residential voltage 120V or 240V? Make sure your voltage selector on the PSU is set for your voltage.


Im in area of 220v and my PSU support from 100v-260V
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 145 ) Power supply
a b 4 Gaming
August 8, 2012 8:14:53 PM

Getting a shock while using the PC is asking for trouble. If there is a live wire grounded out in the PC's PSU or in the wiring system, grounding the case to the grounded water system may draw an arc and cause burns. Not knowing what kind of circuit protection you have at your location, it would be unwise for me to suggest anything other than having the system checked by a competent electrician.
Share
a b ) Power supply
a b 4 Gaming
August 8, 2012 10:18:37 PM

Where I live, the code-correct quick-and-dirty fix would be to pound a 8-10' long 1" diameter galvanized steel rod in the ground, run a #8 gauge copper cable around the building, drill holes through walls where ground is required and pull #14 (or heavier gauge) wires from whatever needs ground to the ground cable.

The ideal fix would be to re-wire everything or at the very least the most problematic circuits.

In some places, bridging neutral to ground is tolerated but strongly discouraged since neutral wiring failure would then cause grounded appliances downstream from the fault to have a non-grounded connection to live. This is somewhat of a coin toss when leakage to ground is already causing appliances to become shock hazard.
m
0
l
August 9, 2012 10:24:06 AM

Best answer selected by taimoorali007.
m
0
l
!