Sign in with
Your question

Update win 7 32/64 bit

Tags:
  • Asus
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
January 17, 2012 3:19:39 PM

I have win 7, 64 bit and need 32 bit for some older programs. Does any one have they would share. My lap top is a ASUS 53.

More about : update win bit

a b $ Windows 7
January 17, 2012 3:44:00 PM

You should be able to run most 32-bit programs on 64-bit Windows, what happens when you try to launch the 32-bit software?

You can always try compatibility mode by right clicking on the icon for the program, then go to '' properties'' and then ''compatibility'' and then select XP or which ever OS was out when the program was released.

m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b $ Windows 7
January 17, 2012 4:17:58 PM

^ This.

The only problems I have seen with 64bit Windows 7 is running much older 16bit stuff. Like programs that were old when Windows XP was still new. Other than that some old hardware might not have drivers but thats about it. Have you actually tried installing these programs or are you just assuming?

Compatibility Mode.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-is-pro...

If you have Windows 7 Ultimate or Professional they both have Windows XP mode built in.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.as...
m
l
Related resources
January 17, 2012 4:42:30 PM

CDdude55 said:
You should be able to run most 32-bit programs on 64-bit Windows, what happens when you try to launch the 32-bit software?

You can always try compatibility mode by right clicking on the icon for the program, then go to '' properties'' and then ''compatibility'' and then select XP or which ever OS was out when the program was released.

when I try to install the progran it say system is not able to run program
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 17, 2012 5:44:23 PM

dsmith1255 said:
when I try to install the progran it say system is not able to run program

What is the software you are trying to run exactly?, and did you try running it in compatibility mode as stated?
m
l
January 17, 2012 6:05:32 PM

I have never ran into a problem with a 32 bit program / game not working on a 64bit OS, and our department has nearly 2500 different apps from in-house garbage coded apps to COTS.

We've had TONS of compatibility issues that required permissions tweaking, UAC problems, using compatibility mode all the way back to XP/2000 (some work in Vista compatibility oddly enough), but they still all ran in W7 64 Enterprise.

Just for the hell of it, turn off UAC temporarily & force compatibility mode to XP SP3.
m
l
!