$1000 Gaming PC (converted to $)

vinsomniac

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2012
Hi all,

im just new here and i would like to ask for a good "metal" casing with hot swap for my build. Opinions and suggestions about my specs would also be welcome. :D

CPU: i5 2500k
Mobo: Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3
GPU: Asus GTX 560 TI Direct CU
Mem: Ripjaws X 2x4gb 1600 CL9
HD: WD Cavier Blue 500GB
PSU: Corsair CX600

This build was nearly $1000 when converted from PH Peso to $.

Approximate Purchase Date: next payday (in 2 weeks)
Budget Range: $1200 (converted PH Peso to $)
System Usage from Most to Least Important: GAMING, watching movies, surfing, work related >:)
Parts Not Required: Mouse, Keyboard, Monitor
Parts Preferences: ASUS (i like there service centers in my country)
Overclocking: Maybe (until budget comes)
SLI or Crossfire: Maybe (until budget comes)

ddan49

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
Could I suggest an MSI Twin Frozr II OC GTX 560 Ti? I think it would be a huge improvement in both speeds and cooling. However, ASUS is also good... although slower, it won't let you down.

That's a pretty expensive case. I'd recommend one of the following:

- Corsair 400R - $100
Relatively inexpensive, great cable management and cooling. Mid-Tower.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139008&Tpk=400r

- NZXT Phantom - $130
This case looks really nice... especially the green/black one. Nice cooling, it's an overall nice case with great aesthetics.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146079

- HAF cases (HAF X for full tower or HAF 912 for an inexpensive mid tower)
These are really heavy! Good reputation, though. I wouldn't suggest the HAF 912 since it's lower budget, but...

- Fractal R3 - $115
This is designed for silence. I don't know if that's important to you. It's covered with foam inside. Tell me if you like the aesthetics, though. It's very minimalist. I can recommend some other cases (like Lian-Li) that follow that sort of pattern.

If you like another case, go ahead and post it and I'll give my opinion of it. The one pfunkmd recommended is actually very nice, but expensive.

vinsomniac

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2012
Thanks for the case suggestions, i'll look them up. Yes i saw the case and it was expensive :D

regarding the MSI Twin Frozr II OC GTX 560 Ti, i have no idea on how good the customer service here of MSI in our country. And im an owner of several Asus stuff and their service never let me down but if MSI gives a good bundle then i'll try :D

regarding the case..i saw one of the shop here sells this one

Tt Level 10 GT $290 (converted) comes with either 1200W psu or 23'' LG Monitor

i also like this one for budget haggling :D

Tt Armor A60 $90 (converted and only the blue one is available) add $10, it comes with Tt 600W TR2 psu

The NZXT Phantom you suggested is really cool but i have a friend that have it..Any aesthetics would do coz theres a lot of good moders here :D

ddan49

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
The Level 10 is a great case from what I've heard. I'd get the monitor if you don't have one, since I don't trust the PSU... we don't know its Amps, certification, or anything about it. You have to be very careful with PSUs... 1200W is tempting, but you don't even need it. Could you tell us what PSU it is, though? However, if you don't have a monitor or this one is better, I'd get the monitor.

Same goes for the ThermalTake. We don't know if the PSU is good.

ddan49

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
In that case, I would definitely go with the Corsair PSU (it's fine), and if you got the ThermalTake Level 10, get the monitor. Your resolution is tiny right now, and the PSU that comes with it isn't worth the monitor. Although it's going to be kind of strange that your relatively budget build is going to be in a high-end case. Are you sure you want it? You could save money and get a Corsair 400R, or the NZXT Phantom I recommended. The ThermalTake is kind of... too fancy? You've only got a 560 Ti.

vinsomniac

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2012
yea i noticed that.. too fancy..

btw, to enhance futureproofing on this build.. i was thinking of changing my mobo

from ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3

to ASRock Z77 Extreme 4

any thoughts on this?

in reference with my mobo, what should i consider when looking for a case? for some week i thought of buying this case: Thermaltake Armor A60 but when i saw it in the shop, there was a wire sticking out of its back,they told me its for the usb 3.. what does that mean?

hopz

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012

What do you think about COOLER MASTER Storm Enforcer -$90?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119240&Tpk=CM%20Storm%20Enforcer

ddan49

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
My friend has it. He says it's fine, but I'd go with the Corsair 400R for that money.

Also, future-proofing with Z77 won't work. The next generation of Haswell CPUs won't be able to go on it... they'll have different sockets. Both SB and IB have LGA1155, and Haswell will have something else (maybe LGA1255? Anyway, it'll be different). All Z77 really offers is PCI 3.0, which won't do anything unless you have IB, and really doesn't change all that much at the moment.

vinsomniac

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2012
thanks a lot for the advice ddan49..

one last thing, know any good 32'' LED TV/Monitor? i prefer Samsung but if you have some suggestions/opinions i'd like to hear them..