Upgrading cd/dvd drive, need help finding motherboard specs.

fansrus

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
Hello,

My cd drive doesn't open and I'm looking to upgrade it, because for whatever reason when I had my friend build it ~2 1/2 years ago I didn't get a dvd/cd combo.

I'm trying to figure out whether my motherboard is combatible with a blue ray drive, but when I pull up dxdiag system model just displays system product name. And of course I have no idea where any of my manuals are.

Any help is appreciated.

Solution
On your mobo are there these connectors?

images

fansrus

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
I don't have a specific blueray drive that I'm looking at yet. I just did a quick search on newegg and am mostly looking to see if my motherboard is even compatible.

As far as model goes, it's a custom built computer so i'm not sure exactly what you're looking for. It's an antec case (not sure what model), has an amd phenom 8450 triple-core processor, ~2.1GHz.

I'll get on my laptop and take off the panel so if there's something else you need, I can try to find it.

That sounds like it's SATA (like it needs to be), but do what I told you in my reply above. That will take all doubt out of the equation. The serial number doesn't tell us anything.

fansrus

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
I do have the cable, it's currently not plugged in to anything.

Thanks for the help, (and for making me realize I know even less about computers than I thought I did.)