advice please on use of sb800 with d70

Last response: in Digital Camera
June 25, 2005 3:09:34 PM

as subject,due to shoot a wedding soon. best mode to put flash and camera on for minimum fuss hassle with good all round results?
many thanks....rgds to all from TBM...

More about : advice sb800 d70

June 25, 2005 6:01:14 PM

"tbm" <ialwaysgetresults@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:o Xave.4388$%O1.894@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net...
> as subject,due to shoot a wedding soon. best mode to put flash and camera on
> for minimum fuss hassle with good all round results?
> many thanks....rgds to all from TBM...

Are you Tonto?
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 1:32:24 AM

You are shooting a wedding and don't know how to set your gear ?
man ... where are all the photographers ?

One tips ... set the camera metering to matrix and the flash metering to TTL
only [ not Matrix TTL ]

=bob=

"tbm" <ialwaysgetresults@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:o Xave.4388$%O1.894@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net...
> as subject,due to shoot a wedding soon. best mode to put flash and camera
> on for minimum fuss hassle with good all round results?
> many thanks....rgds to all from TBM...

Related resources
June 26, 2005 1:32:25 AM

"[BnH]" <b18[at]ii[dot]net> wrote in message
> You are shooting a wedding and don't know how to set your gear ?
> man ... where are all the photographers ?
>
> One tips ... set the camera metering to matrix and the flash metering to
> TTL only [ not Matrix TTL ]
>
> =bob=
>
> "tbm" <ialwaysgetresults@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> news:o Xave.4388$%O1.894@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net...
>> as subject,due to shoot a wedding soon. best mode to put flash and camera
>> on for minimum fuss hassle with good all round results?
>> many thanks....rgds to all from TBM...

Hi there.

Unlike Bob, I would set the Camera to Manual, with the Shutter Speed at
1/500, and the aperture at around 5.6 working at ISO 400. Set the Flash to
TTL. I tend to set the Flash Compensation on the Camera to + half a stop.

The Aperture could be a bit larger or smaller depending on your distance
from the subjects, and the size of the room. So that the Flash is Firing at
very nearly its Maximum output.

The idea is to try to ensure that the Ambient lighting has little or no
effect on the the exposure, and that the Flash is the only effective light
source. But be aware of strong backlighting from things like Spotlights, or
stage lights behind the Band, they will be powerful enough to reduce the
Flash Output, and cause your main subject to be underexposed.

Do experiment to see which system you prefer, but do so in a similar
situation to where the Indoor part of the Festivities will take place.

Also try to ensure that nearly all of the pics are taken in Landsacape
Format, or unpleasant shadows from the "On Hotshoe Flash" will appear at the
side of the Subjects. I would suggest you are not yet competent enough to
use the Flash "Off Hotshoe" wirelessly, but that is the skill level you
should eventually be aiming for.

Professional Wedding Photographers tend to use a Corded Flash on a Hinged
Bracket, which allows them to always have the Flash directly above the Lens,
in either Portrait or Landscape Format.

Like Bob, I am a bit concerned that you may be taking on a job, even for a
friend, without quite enough experience.

If you are already committed, and are the main photographer, you had better
get in some practice, and do that in a large room. Do take plenty of test
shots, and keep checking the LCD, with histogram, to ensure that the
exposure was correct. Also ensure you have Plenty of Spare Batteries for
both the Flash and the Camera, and enough Memory cards, and check that you
do not put a full one back into the Camera.

Be prepared to do a fair amount of Post Processing, to get the Photos, all
looking very similar as far as exposure and contrast are concerned.

Try to enjoy yourself, at the Wedding, but stay sober. You have an
important job to do.

Roy G
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 4:40:21 AM

"tbm" <ialwaysgetresults@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:o Xave.4388$%O1.894@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net...
> as subject,due to shoot a wedding soon. best mode to put flash and camera on
> for minimum fuss hassle with good all round results?
> many thanks....rgds to all from TBM...
>

>Are you Tonto?

don't think so highawatha!
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 10:44:25 PM

Roy <royphoty@iona-guesthouse.co.uk> wrote:

>Be prepared to do a fair amount of Post Processing, to get the Photos, all
>looking very similar as far as exposure and contrast are concerned.

Did anyone say to shoot in RAW? <starskyhutch> Do It </starskyhutch>

--
Ken Tough
!