Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

My computer keeps shutting off after the same symtpoms

Tags:
Last response: in Systems
Share
April 25, 2012 3:55:02 PM

*This is a double post from the cpu forums, not sure where to aim this for assistance*

Whether or not I'm using my PC - gaming or browsing the web I occasionally (but always, typically once a day) get this error in which my PC shuts off (sometimes without the error but the same issue)

"The instruction at 0x00000000074BC5EAB referenced at 0x00000000074BC5EAB. The required data was not placed into memory because of an I/O error status of 0xc000000e"

I've reformatted, got a new cpu from Q6700 to 2500k went from a 4970x2 to a 6950, switched out my Boot drive to a Vertex II, got new ram from 4gb kingston to 16gb ripsaws. Got a new case etc. new mobo. I monitor temperatures as well, nothing is even close to hot. I have a HAF932 case.

I've literally replaced EVERYTHING except my secondary drive which I put my programs on ( I don't install things on my C drive)

typical symptoms my PC is going to shut off is I'm unable to run any new programs and my computer can no longe execute any commands such as Alt +ctrl + delete or use google search function. However if I'm watching a video or playing a game the sound will stutter for a second than catch up and then within 2 minutes my pc will shut off.

Any advice on how to further narrow down this problem would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Under the Event Viewer it simply says Critical error lost power to Kernal
Programs running during the time of the error all always different sometimes this can happen right after boot! I typically just have google crash handler and AMD drivers load on boot up

I know this may not be the ideal forum for this error, but I'm not certain which sub forum may be better suited.
April 25, 2012 4:05:32 PM

Hello,

What power supply do you have? As well as your complete system specifications. We will need model names and numbers for everything.

Im leaning towards you might have a bad powersupply due to that critical error lost power to kernal error.
April 25, 2012 4:14:17 PM

Chainzsaw said:
Hello,

What power supply do you have? As well as your complete system specifications. We will need model names and numbers for everything.

Im leaning towards you might have a bad powersupply due to that critical error lost power to kernal error.


Off the top
Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3Ghz Unlocked LGA1155 CPU
MSI Z68A-G43 B3 INTEL Z68 LGA1155 MOTHERBOARD
2GB 6950 Sapphire AMD GPU
Corsair Vengeance 16GB PC12800 DDR3 1600MHz 4x4
Ultra 1000W ATX PSU ULT-HE1000x
HAF932
a standard 60gb Vertex III SSD Drive

I had this issue with my PC whilst having different hardware as well. I also have leaned towards the PSU - How would I go about verifying this is the PSU's fault.
Related resources
April 25, 2012 4:23:56 PM

Wow ok. You have a powerful PSU. It seems to have decent reviews....however one review mentioned it seems to have fluctuations on all the rails (this may or may not be affecting you).

Do you have a spare PSU to try out? If not...it may be hard to tell whether or not it's a PSU issue.

You should also do a memtest x86 to make sure there are no memory errors with your RAM.

Are you also running stock clocks, or are you overclocked ATM?
April 25, 2012 4:28:10 PM

Chainzsaw said:
Wow ok. You have a powerful PSU. It seems to have decent reviews....however one review mentioned it seems to have fluctuations on all the rails (this may or may not be affecting you).

Do you have a spare PSU to try out? If not...it may be hard to tell whether or not it's a PSU issue.

You should also do a memtest x86 to make sure there are no memory errors with your RAM.

Are you also running stock clocks, or are you overclocked ATM?


I used to run a slight 100mhz OC but realized how much I didn't need it with a 2500k. That rail comment could really be it, I feel like it toggles power off on my HDD or SSD at some point and they stop churning until a reboot.

Often upon reboot it asks me to insert bootable media (obviously my harddrives are pluggedin) at which point I restart and everything is peachy keen again.

I have ran diskchecks but not memtest. I fear how long that will take with 16gb of memory lol I'll run it tonight when I get home.


I don't have a working psu to swap in, I'd have to purchase another. That was what I'm hoping to avoid doing if at all possible (unless thats the issue obv..)
http://i.imgur.com/GF1QA.jpg
April 25, 2012 4:39:46 PM

You might try to boot off a test disc of some kind just to make sure it is not an OS issue.

Can you borrow a power supply for a bit?
April 25, 2012 4:47:19 PM

jonnyrb said:
I used to run a slight 100mhz OC but realized how much I didn't need it with a 2500k. That rail comment could really be it, I feel like it toggles power off on my HDD or SSD at some point and they stop churning until a reboot.

Often upon reboot it asks me to insert bootable media (obviously my harddrives are pluggedin) at which point I restart and everything is peachy keen again.

I have ran diskchecks but not memtest. I fear how long that will take with 16gb of memory lol I'll run it tonight when I get home.


I don't have a working psu to swap in, I'd have to purchase another. That was what I'm hoping to avoid doing if at all possible (unless thats the issue obv..)
http://i.imgur.com/GF1QA.jpg


What BIOS version are you running?

If your running a much older BIOS you might want to update it:

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/Z68A-G43--B3-.html#/?div=...

I noticed there are a few memory compatibility updates for it. Just be very careful if you do especially if your system is not running too well. Although there should be an option in the BIOS to update it from there.
April 25, 2012 4:52:10 PM

Chainzsaw said:
What BIOS version are you running?

If your running a much older BIOS you might want to update it:

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/Z68A-G43--B3-.html#/?div=...

I noticed there are a few memory compatibility updates for it. Just be very careful if you do especially if your system is not running too well. Although there should be an option in the BIOS to update it from there.


Thanks I'll run Memtest when I get home and check // do a bios update. (with caution of course ;) 
April 25, 2012 5:20:36 PM

i bet its #4 or #1from microsoft
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

This scenario usually indicates a problem with the hardware. Another possibility is that a driver may cause this problem. To help isolate the problem, check the following items:
1.Overclocking: Disable overclocking and see whether the issue happens when the system is run at the correct speed.

2.Check the memory: Verify the memory by using a memory checker. Verify that each memory chip is the same speed and that it is configured correctly in the system.

3.Power Supply: Make sure that the power supply has enough wattage to appropriately handle the installed devices. If you added memory, installed a newer processor, installed additional drives, or added external devices, such devices may require more energy than the current power supply can provide consistently.
(with 1000 watt power supply unless its real old skip this one)

4.Overheating: Check whether the system is overheating by examining the internal temperature of the hardware.

5.Defaults: Use system defaults, and run the system.

or
it may be blue screening just not displaying. if you reboot and press f8 till u get boot option and select disable automatic restart upon failure to verify.

!