What happens when you psu isn strong enough

fergydanny

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
Hey guys iv been looking everywhere so ok i bought a new graphic card and proccesor : MSI R7770-2PMD1GD5/OC Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video ... and AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX but my computer is only like 250-300watts power supply so what could happen if i plu gin my graphic cards and change my cpu? could i try it out a while or is there a big risk of damage or something thanks for answering!

AMD recommends a minimum of a 500 watt power supply for a desktop gaming rig with one Radeon HD 7770 video card. During gaming you will use somewhere around 300 watts and sometimes briefly peak at 400 watts.

If you are lucky your psu will simply shut down. In a worst case scenario once your power supply is no longer capable of delivering any more power it will blow up and probably fry a few components.

Go over to youtube.com and search for exploding power supplies.

This is peak power.

Bellow, a chart of relative power consumption. Again, the Wattage shown is the card(s) with the GPU stressed 100%, showing only the peak GPU power draw, not the power consumption of the entire PC and not the average gaming power consumption.

imageview.php