registry tweaks

Hi,

I've been looking over Kelly's corner but did not find the tweaks I've been
looking for.

I need the registry tweaks for the following (tell them as if exported)

- stop & disable themes service
- show quick launch & desktop on menu bar
- change desktop brackground color to black
- disable fancy menux, system properties > advanced > performance > adjust
for best performance
- enable automatic updates
- disable windows firewall & virus protection and disable the
recommendations so the task icons don't show up
- disable msn messenger windows startup
- use hide when minimized for task manager

thanks
13 answers Last reply
More about registry tweaks

    Registry Guide for Windows
    http://www.winguides.com/registry/category.php/1/

    Registry Edits for Windows XP
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/registry_edits.htm

    TweakXP
    http://www.tweakxp.com/

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    Jan wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I've been looking over Kelly's corner but did not find the tweaks I've been
    > looking for.
    >
    > I need the registry tweaks for the following (tell them as if exported)
    >
    > - stop & disable themes service
    > - show quick launch & desktop on menu bar
    > - change desktop brackground color to black
    > - disable fancy menux, system properties > advanced > performance > adjust
    > for best performance
    > - enable automatic updates
    > - disable windows firewall & virus protection and disable the
    > recommendations so the task icons don't show up
    > - disable msn messenger windows startup
    > - use hide when minimized for task manager
    >

    > thanks

    http://www.x-setup.net/downloads/home.asp?lang=EN Does pretty much
    everything you want it to do and its free.

    hrm, I should've specified I wanted to export these settings. I do not want
    to apply them on my computer. I wanna put em all in a registry file (.reg)
    so I can apply them to another computer.

    "mike" <mtgoing@brightok.com> wrote in message
    > Jan wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I've been looking over Kelly's corner but did not find the tweaks I've
    >> been looking for.
    >>
    >> I need the registry tweaks for the following (tell them as if exported)
    >>
    >> - stop & disable themes service
    >> - show quick launch & desktop on menu bar
    >> - change desktop brackground color to black
    >> - disable fancy menux, system properties > advanced > performance >
    >> adjust for best performance
    >> - enable automatic updates
    >> - disable windows firewall & virus protection and disable the
    >> recommendations so the task icons don't show up
    >> - disable msn messenger windows startup
    >> - use hide when minimized for task manager
    >>

    >> thanks
    > http://www.x-setup.net/downloads/home.asp?lang=EN Does pretty much
    > everything you want it to do and its free.

    Hi

    Try here for possible answers:

    www.winguides.com

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "Jan" <the_real_grizly[at]hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've been looking over Kelly's corner but did not find the tweaks I've
    > been looking for.
    >
    > I need the registry tweaks for the following (tell them as if exported)
    >
    > - stop & disable themes service
    > - show quick launch & desktop on menu bar
    > - change desktop brackground color to black
    > - disable fancy menux, system properties > advanced > performance > adjust
    > for best performance
    > - enable automatic updates
    > - disable windows firewall & virus protection and disable the
    > recommendations so the task icons don't show up
    > - disable msn messenger windows startup
    > - use hide when minimized for task manager
    >

    > thanks

    From Registry Editor Help:

    [[To export all or part of the registry to a text file
    Open Registry Editor.
    On the File menu, click Export.
    In File name, enter a name for the registry file.
    Under Export range, do one of the following:
    To back up the entire registry, click All.
    To back up only a particular branch of the registry tree, click Selected
    branch and enter the name of the branch you want to export.
    Click Save.

    Caution
    Incorrectly editing the registry may severely damage your system. Before
    making changes to the registry, you should back up any valued data on your
    computer.

    Notes
    To open Registry Editor, click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then
    click OK.
    You can use a text editor like Notepad to work with the registry files you
    create by exporting.
    You can save registry files in the Windows format, in the format used in
    Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows NT 4.0, as binary hive files, or as text
    files. Registry files are saved with .reg extensions, and text files are
    saved with .txt extensions.
    In Windows Explorer, double-clicking a file with the .reg extension imports
    the file into the computer's registry. ]]

    [[To export a registry key to a hive file
    Open Registry Editor.
    Select the key that you want to save as a file.
    On the File menu, click Export.
    In the Export Registry File dialog box, in Save in, click the drive, folder,
    or network computer and folder where you want to save the hive.
    In File name, enter a name for the hive.
    In Save as type, click Registry Hive Files.
    Click Save. ]]
    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:%23bVt1vM0EHA.1308@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    Jan <the_real_grizly[at]hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    > hrm, I should've specified I wanted to export these settings. I do
    > not want to apply them on my computer. I wanna put em all in a
    > registry file (.reg) so I can apply them to another computer.
    >
    > "mike" <mtgoing@brightok.com> wrote in message
    >> Jan wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I've been looking over Kelly's corner but did not find the tweaks
    >>> I've been looking for.
    >>>
    >>> I need the registry tweaks for the following (tell them as if
    >>> exported)
    >>>
    >>> - stop & disable themes service
    >>> - show quick launch & desktop on menu bar
    >>> - change desktop brackground color to black
    >>> - disable fancy menux, system properties > advanced > performance >
    >>> adjust for best performance
    >>> - enable automatic updates
    >>> - disable windows firewall & virus protection and disable the
    >>> recommendations so the task icons don't show up
    >>> - disable msn messenger windows startup
    >>> - use hide when minimized for task manager
    >>>

    >>> thanks
    >> http://www.x-setup.net/downloads/home.asp?lang=EN Does pretty much
    >> everything you want it to do and its free.

    most of your settings are stores in the ntuser.dat file...

    "Jan" <the_real_grizly[at]hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > hrm, I should've specified I wanted to export these settings. I do not
    > want to apply them on my computer. I wanna put em all in a registry file
    > (.reg) so I can apply them to another computer.

    yeah but I want to deploy these settings for all users when installing XP...
    like from a batch file called from cmdlines

    "<©¿©>" <user@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    most of your settings are stores in the ntuser.dat file...

    "Jan" <the_real_grizly[at]hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > hrm, I should've specified I wanted to export these settings. I do not
    > want to apply them on my computer. I wanna put em all in a registry file
    > (.reg) so I can apply them to another computer.

    Then, once you get your computer customized the way you like to look at
    it...and the way that everybody else will look at it, copy the ntuser.dat
    file to the C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\ folder, then everybody
    will be that way...each time a new user is created...otherwise you have to
    copy the ntuser.dat to each profile folder. This will copy the desktop,
    sounds, folder settings...everything.

    "jan" <the_real_grizly@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > yeah but I want to deploy these settings for all users when installing
    > XP...
    > like from a batch file called from cmdlines
    >
    > "<©¿©>" <user@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    > most of your settings are stores in the ntuser.dat file...
    >

    > "Jan" <the_real_grizly[at]hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> hrm, I should've specified I wanted to export these settings. I do not
    >> want to apply them on my computer. I wanna put em all in a registry file
    >> (.reg) so I can apply them to another computer.

    Is there a way to modify it manually ? Like with an editor ? Or is it just
    possible by modifying preferences ?

    > Then, once you get your computer customized the way you like to look at
    > it...and the way that everybody else will look at it, copy the ntuser.dat
    > file to the C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\ folder, then everybody
    > will be that way...each time a new user is created...otherwise you have to
    > copy the ntuser.dat to each profile folder. This will copy the desktop,
    > sounds, folder settings...everything.
    >

    > "jan" <the_real_grizly@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> yeah but I want to deploy these settings for all users when installing
    >> XP...
    >> like from a batch file called from cmdlines
    >>
    >> "<©¿©>" <user@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    >> most of your settings are stores in the ntuser.dat file...
    >>

    >> "Jan" <the_real_grizly[at]hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> hrm, I should've specified I wanted to export these settings. I do not
    >>> want to apply them on my computer. I wanna put em all in a registry file
    >>> (.reg) so I can apply them to another computer.

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    I also get the error message: Cannot copy NTUSER.DAT, it is being used by
    another person or program."

    How can I copy it ? I was logged in as another account than the one I was
    trying to copy it's ntuser.dat...

    "<©¿©>" <user@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    > Then, once you get your computer customized the way you like to look at
    > it...and the way that everybody else will look at it, copy the ntuser.dat
    > file to the C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\ folder, then everybody
    > will be that way...each time a new user is created...otherwise you have to
    > copy the ntuser.dat to each profile folder. This will copy the desktop,
    > sounds, folder settings...everything.
    >

    > "jan" <the_real_grizly@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> yeah but I want to deploy these settings for all users when installing
    >> XP...
    >> like from a batch file called from cmdlines
    >>
    >> "<©¿©>" <user@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    >> most of your settings are stores in the ntuser.dat file...
    >>

    >> "Jan" <the_real_grizly[at]hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> hrm, I should've specified I wanted to export these settings. I do not
    >>> want to apply them on my computer. I wanna put em all in a registry file
    >>> (.reg) so I can apply them to another computer.

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    ERUNT can backup & copy NTUSER.DAT.

    Get both of these...

    NTREGOPT NT Registry Optimizer
    ERUNT The Emergency Recovery Utility NT
    http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/

    ERUNT [[Note: The "Export registry" function in Regedit is USELESS (!) to
    make
    a complete backup of the registry. Neither does it export the whole
    registry (for example, no information from the "SECURITY" hive is
    saved), nor can the exported file be used later to replace the current
    registry with the old one. Instead, if you re-import the file, it is
    merged with the current registry, leaving you with an absolute mess of
    old and new registry keys.]]
    http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/erunt.txt

    NTREGOPT [[Similar to Windows 9x/Me, the registry files in an NT-based
    system
    can become fragmented over time, occupying more space on your hard
    disk than necessary and decreasing overall performance. You should
    use the NTREGOPT utility regularly, but especially after installing
    or uninstalling a program, to minimize the size of the registry files
    and optimize registry access.

    The program works by recreating each registry hive "from scratch",
    thus removing any slack space that may be left from previously
    modified or deleted keys.

    Note that the program does NOT change the contents of the registry in
    any way, nor does it physically defrag the registry files on the drive
    (as the PageDefrag program from SysInternals does). The optimization
    done by NTREGOPT is simply compacting the registry hives to the
    minimum size possible.]]
    http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/ntregopt.txt

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:%23VWChWl0EHA.1196@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    Jan <notarealemail@dontusethis.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I also get the error message: Cannot copy NTUSER.DAT, it is being
    > used by another person or program."
    >
    > How can I copy it ? I was logged in as another account than the one I
    > was trying to copy it's ntuser.dat...
    >
    > "<©¿©>" <user@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    >> Then, once you get your computer customized the way you like to look
    >> at it...and the way that everybody else will look at it, copy the
    >> ntuser.dat file to the C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\
    >> folder, then everybody will be that way...each time a new user is
    >> created...otherwise you have to copy the ntuser.dat to each profile
    >> folder. This will copy the desktop, sounds, folder
    >> settings...everything.
    >>

    >> "jan" <the_real_grizly@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> yeah but I want to deploy these settings for all users when
    >>> installing XP...
    >>> like from a batch file called from cmdlines
    >>>
    >>> "<©¿©>" <user@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    >>> most of your settings are stores in the ntuser.dat file...
    >>>

    >>> "Jan" <the_real_grizly[at]hotmail.com> wrote in message
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Why? What is the point? All the file does, is keeps what you have
    configured...if you like how your computer is configured, copy it. If not,
    change it and then copy the file.

    > Is there a way to modify it manually ? Like with an editor ? Or is it just
    > possible by modifying preferences ?
    >
    > "<©¿©>" <user@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    >> Then, once you get your computer customized the way you like to look at
    >> it...and the way that everybody else will look at it, copy the ntuser.dat
    >> file to the C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\ folder, then
    >> everybody will be that way...each time a new user is created...otherwise
    >> you have to copy the ntuser.dat to each profile folder. This will copy
    >> the desktop, sounds, folder settings...everything.
    >>

    >> "jan" <the_real_grizly@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> yeah but I want to deploy these settings for all users when installing
    >>> XP...
    >>> like from a batch file called from cmdlines
    >>>
    >>> "<©¿©>" <user@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    >>> most of your settings are stores in the ntuser.dat file...
    >>>

    >>> "Jan" <the_real_grizly[at]hotmail.com> wrote in message

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    thanks

Configuration Registry Windows XP