Which storage format please

Status
Not open for further replies.

I've just got an Olympus 7070, a great bit of kit but loads of formats.

I can't tell which to use, and I don't really understand the difference.

It's 7mp and I have a 1gb card so memory isn't really a problem.

I want good quality shots. My previous camera gave me 4mp jpegs and these
were pretty good, I don't need anything amazingly better (although if I have
the memory capability I might as well).

I have TIFF SHQ, HQ, SQ1 HIGH, SQ1 Normal, SQ2 HIGH, SQ2 Normal.

I think that SHQ at 7mp is the best, but suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Nick

"NottNick" <nmm657xx@bellows.org.uk> wrote in message
> I've just got an Olympus 7070, a great bit of kit but loads of formats.
>
> I can't tell which to use, and I don't really understand the difference.
>
> It's 7mp and I have a 1gb card so memory isn't really a problem.
>
> I want good quality shots. My previous camera gave me 4mp jpegs and these
> were pretty good, I don't need anything amazingly better (although if I
> have the memory capability I might as well).
>
> I have TIFF SHQ, HQ, SQ1 HIGH, SQ1 Normal, SQ2 HIGH, SQ2 Normal.
>
> I think that SHQ at 7mp is the best, but suggestions appreciated.

SHQ is probably the best. The Tagged Image File Format (TIFF) was initially
designed to alleviate the problems associated with file sharing and printing
(to eliminate the need for translating proprietary formats).

Marvin

Distinguished
May 2, 2004

NottNick wrote:
> I've just got an Olympus 7070, a great bit of kit but loads of formats.
>
> I can't tell which to use, and I don't really understand the difference.
>
> It's 7mp and I have a 1gb card so memory isn't really a problem.
>
> I want good quality shots. My previous camera gave me 4mp jpegs and these
> were pretty good, I don't need anything amazingly better (although if I have
> the memory capability I might as well).
>
> I have TIFF SHQ, HQ, SQ1 HIGH, SQ1 Normal, SQ2 HIGH, SQ2 Normal.
>
> I think that SHQ at 7mp is the best, but suggestions appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Nick

Other than tiff, the settings offer you the choice of different compressions. More
compression means a smaller file, but some loss of image quality. Experiment with
different kinds of scenes and different settings, then see how the results compare.
Choose the highest compression that gives image quality that you like. It takes some
time, buit costs nothing unless you choose to compare prints as well as what you see on
the screen.

I won't help you to know what my preference is. Individuals have different ideas of
acceptable image quality, and the settings have different meanings for different camera
models.

"Charles Schuler" <charleschuler@comcast.net> wrote in message

> "NottNick" <nmm657xx@bellows.org.uk> wrote in message
>> I've just got an Olympus 7070, a great bit of kit but loads of formats.
>>
>> I can't tell which to use, and I don't really understand the difference.
>>
>> It's 7mp and I have a 1gb card so memory isn't really a problem.
>>
>> I want good quality shots. My previous camera gave me 4mp jpegs and these
>> were pretty good, I don't need anything amazingly better (although if I
>> have the memory capability I might as well).
>>
>> I have TIFF SHQ, HQ, SQ1 HIGH, SQ1 Normal, SQ2 HIGH, SQ2 Normal.
>>
>> I think that SHQ at 7mp is the best, but suggestions appreciated.
>
> SHQ is probably the best. The Tagged Image File Format (TIFF) was
> initially designed to alleviate the problems associated with file sharing
> and printing (to eliminate the need for translating proprietary formats).

Thanks Charles,

Quite large files but still about 180 on the card so I'll do that.

If it looked like I was getting short os memory on holiday, I guess (looking
at memory size) the lower res SHQ is still better than the HQ (but please
tell me if I'm wrong).

Nick

> If it looked like I was getting short os memory on holiday, I guess
> (looking at memory size) the lower res SHQ is still better than the HQ
> (but please tell me if I'm wrong).

I don't have your camera. Your manual should give the estimated file size
for each setting. The larger the file size, the better the quality.

NottNick wrote:
> "Charles Schuler" <charleschuler@comcast.net> wrote in message
>
>>"NottNick" <nmm657xx@bellows.org.uk> wrote in message
>>
>>>I've just got an Olympus 7070, a great bit of kit but loads of formats.
>>>
>>>I can't tell which to use, and I don't really understand the difference.
>>>
>>>It's 7mp and I have a 1gb card so memory isn't really a problem.
>>>
>>>I want good quality shots. My previous camera gave me 4mp jpegs and these
>>>were pretty good, I don't need anything amazingly better (although if I
>>>have the memory capability I might as well).
>>>
>>>I have TIFF SHQ, HQ, SQ1 HIGH, SQ1 Normal, SQ2 HIGH, SQ2 Normal.
>>>
>>>I think that SHQ at 7mp is the best, but suggestions appreciated.
>>
>>SHQ is probably the best. The Tagged Image File Format (TIFF) was
>>initially designed to alleviate the problems associated with file sharing
>>and printing (to eliminate the need for translating proprietary formats).
>

> Thanks Charles,
>
> Quite large files but still about 180 on the card so I'll do that.
>
> If it looked like I was getting short os memory on holiday, I guess (looking
> at memory size) the lower res SHQ is still better than the HQ (but please
> tell me if I'm wrong).
>
> Nick

Buy more cards.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

>> If it looked like I was getting short os memory on holiday, I guess
>> (looking at memory size) the lower res SHQ is still better than the HQ
>> (but please tell me if I'm wrong).
>
> I don't have your camera. Your manual should give the estimated file size
> for each setting. The larger the file size, the better the quality.

Manuals are here
http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/manual/zoom/bman_c7070wz_e.pdf

and here..
http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/manual/zoom/man_c7070wz_e.pdf

"Marvin" <physchem@cloud9.net> wrote in message
> NottNick wrote:
>> I've just got an Olympus 7070, a great bit of kit but loads of formats.
>>
>> I can't tell which to use, and I don't really understand the difference.
>>
>> It's 7mp and I have a 1gb card so memory isn't really a problem.
>>
>> I want good quality shots. My previous camera gave me 4mp jpegs and these
>> were pretty good, I don't need anything amazingly better (although if I
>> have the memory capability I might as well).
>>
>> I have TIFF SHQ, HQ, SQ1 HIGH, SQ1 Normal, SQ2 HIGH, SQ2 Normal.
>>
>> I think that SHQ at 7mp is the best, but suggestions appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Nick
>>

> Other than tiff, the settings offer you the choice of different
> compressions. More compression means a smaller file, but some loss of
> image quality. Experiment with different kinds of scenes and different
> settings, then see how the results compare. Choose the highest compression
> that gives image quality that you like. It takes some time, buit costs
> nothing unless you choose to compare prints as well as what you see on the
> screen.
>
> I won't help you to know what my preference is. Individuals have
> different ideas of acceptable image quality, and the settings have
> different meanings for different camera models.

Thanks Marvin - that makes a lot of sense. I'll take loads of pics in
different places tomorrow, note down the settings and see what they look
like.

Nick

"NottNick" <nmm657xx@bellows.org.uk> wrote in

> I've just got an Olympus 7070, a great bit of kit but loads of
> formats.
>
> I can't tell which to use, and I don't really understand the
> difference.
>
> It's 7mp and I have a 1gb card so memory isn't really a problem.
>
> I want good quality shots. My previous camera gave me 4mp jpegs and
> these were pretty good, I don't need anything amazingly better
> (although if I have the memory capability I might as well).
>
> I have TIFF SHQ, HQ, SQ1 HIGH, SQ1 Normal, SQ2 HIGH, SQ2 Normal.

You should also have .ORF, which is your camera's RAW format. This is
superior to all the other formats - it's the data right off the sensor and
you do the post-processing to your tastes (or your current use of the
image).

Every other format is a compromise of one sort or another, even Tiff,
though it produces larger file sizes.

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 14:38:48 +0000 (UTC), "NottNick"
<nmm657xx@bellows.org.uk> wrote:

>If it looked like I was getting short os memory on holiday, I guess (looking
>at memory size) the lower res SHQ is still better than the HQ (but please
>tell me if I'm wrong).

It's better to go to a higher compression level than to a lower
resolution (less megapixels in the resulting file).