3610QM - Heat and other questions

Bob447

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
Hello,

I recently purchased a new 15.6" Toshiba laptop for college with the following specs:
i7-3610QM
8GB RAM
750GB HDD (5400 RPM)
Nvidia GeForce GT 630m - 2GB (Optimus)

The most demanding thing I will probably be doing is running multiple VM's of different operating systems for my classes. I haven't installed VMWare yet as I'm in the middle of a co-op term, so I figured I'd try to stress-test it with some gaming.

When gaming with the dedicated video card active, the CPU reaches temperatures of around 90C, sometimes dipping down to the mid-80's. For some reason none of the software I've tried gives me a temp. for the GPU.

I've read that Ivy Bridge CPU's tend to run hotter than SB ones did, and the chip is apparently rated for 105C, but this still seems really high. The air coming out of the side vent feels like it's burning when you put your hand in front of it.
The CPU idles at around 45C which seems standard.

Since I'm currently paying tuition/rent, I'll need this laptop to last a while. A bit of gaming here and there is probably unavoidable - will regular gaming sessions eventually cause damage to my machine if it continues to run at this temperature?
Would I be better off returning this model for a 2nd gen. i7 if I need it to last?

Thanks very much for any advice.

-Bob

Some laptops just run hot and that heat increase is made even worse when playing games. For a laptop there really isn'tmuch you can do. You can't add more fans or aftermarket cooling like you can with a desktop. You can try removing the heatsink, wiping and cleaning the old thermal paste off and re-applying a new coat of thermal paste. OEM's tend to glob on the thermal paste which won't help your temps. Re-applying thermal paste can lower the temps by at least a few degree's. You can also try a laptop cooling pad.

marshal11

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
is your laptop on a surface such as a blanket or anything else pressed right up against the bottom of your laptop? (doesn't need to be blocking the intake vent) this can cause your laptop to build up heat really fast. when my laptop is on my desk it runs at 35c idle and when its on my lap when im under the blankets i idle at 45-50c even when the vent has lots of breathing space. i would suggest getting a cooling pad. they work great. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834997872&Tpk=cooler%20master%20u3
this one is awesome because you can move the fans to where you want and control the speeds. i'm thinking of getting one for myself because running a CPU heavy task on my lap burns my legs at a scorching 90c before my laptop downclocks too 911MHz from 2.4GHz and causes whatever i'm doing to perform very poorly for a couple of seconds.

lilotimz

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
From what i recall of Toshiba's... their cooling setup for laptops sucks. Apparently they still do ... sigh...

Get a laptop cooling pad and try to help it along. Make sure the vents arent plugged up by anything and put it on a hard surface.

zhou luke

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
About software doesn't show your GPU's temps issues.
Try to right-click the application, then select "Run with graphics processor", then choose "High-Performance NVIDIA GPU". After the game is up and running, run your software.

Don't run the temp reading software first.