Sign in with
Your question

A couple of fan questions

Last response: in Systems
April 25, 2012 5:26:06 PM

Hi,

The only other fan slot on my mobo apart from CPU_FAN which has the CPU fan plugged in is a SYS_FAN but it is only 3-PIN as shown in the picture below.

My question is my PSU's fan cables are (in order from the PSU) female molex, female molex, female molex and then a 4-PIN kind of plug as shown below.

Do I just plug my case fan into one of these molex and if so which one, the 1st one from the PSU? Do I need to plug that last plug into my SYS_FAN and will it be ok as it is a 4-PIN plug but as I said the SYS_FAN header is only 3_PIN.

Extra info from my mobo manual:

Cheers guys! :bounce: 

More about : couple fan questions

a b à CPUs
April 25, 2012 5:37:29 PM

your cpu fan header will have 4 pins, system fans have 3 pins

to answer your second question it depends. most computer cases fans come with a 4 pin molex connector with one male and one female connector letting you daisy chain them together to get all of the fans turn on

i have a side fan with a small 3 pin connector. thats the cable you will only connect to your motherboard (sys_fan)
April 25, 2012 5:43:10 PM

Thanks, what is the plug for in my 3rd picture then? It is on the end of the set of cables with the 3 molex.
Related resources
April 25, 2012 5:49:05 PM

That little 4-pin coming from your psu is the power cable for a floppy disk drive, you don't want to plug that into anything else.
a b à CPUs
April 25, 2012 5:49:46 PM

Hi, you can plug the fan (4pin or 3pin) into the fan header, it has a groove built in so it only goes onto the motherboard one way. The extra (4th)wire is for controlling the fan speed, but it is not necessary.

You should not be connecting any PSU cables to fan headers though...

If you have a case fan with a molex connector then you can connect that fan to any close PSU wire.
a c 117 à CPUs
April 25, 2012 5:50:15 PM

BONDIE_86 said:
Thanks, what is the plug for in my 3rd picture then? It is on the end of the set of cables with the 3 molex.

The good ol' 3.5" floppy drive power connector.

Haven't used one of these in a long time even though I have plenty of 3.5" floppies lying around.
April 25, 2012 5:54:39 PM

Thanks, no wonder I couldn't find a use for it! LOL
!