Solved

Best psu brand

which is the best psu brand of 450 watt? cooler master or corsair?
27 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about best brand
  1. Out of those two, Corsair, easily.
  2. If I could only choose one of the two, then it would be Corsair.
  3. From what I've heard, cooler master does not make the best PSUs in general. Really, the only good case manufactuerer that also makes good PSUs is Antec. I'd stick with Corsair if I were you.
  4. JohnnyLucky said:
    If I could only choose one of the two, then it would be Corsair.

    then i please i request you to give me the list of good 450 watt corsair psu model and model numbers for my radeon hd 6770 1gb ddr5 graphics card.
  5. Well, you could go with a Corsair CX500, but from what I've heard, there are better power supplies in that price range:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139027
    Or get something from the enthusiast series:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020
    But buying that to power an HD 6770 would be overkill.
  6. might as well get at least 500Watts because HD6770 requires a 6-pin and 450watts might not give you much room for future upgrades, but not just for upgrades, remember that opening application such as google chrome, firefox etc will increase wattage and more power from your PSU is needed. So go for a hard 500watts.

    Corsair CX500w <<if you are in a tight budget. and get the V2 model if you want great value-for-money
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139027&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=4176827&SID=mvopox3o8ig0

    or SeaSonic S12II 520<< 10$ expensive but its bronze certified, and Seasonic is also a well known manufacturer of PSU
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151094


    this might be not the exact model of the video card but try to look at it to have ideas on the wattage...
    http://www.hisdigital.com/un/product2-649.shtml

    hope it helps...
  7. CM has one line of high end models that are acceptable, but especially in this case, Corsair is the way to go.
  8. kubain_00 said:
    might as well get at least 500Watts because HD6770 requires a 6-pin and 450watts might not give you much room for future upgrades, but not just for upgrades, remember that opening application such as google chrome, firefox etc will increase wattage and more power from your PSU is needed. So go for a hard 500watts.

    Corsair CX500w <<if you are in a tight budget. and get the V2 model if you want great value-for-money
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139027&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=4176827&SID=mvopox3o8ig0

    or SeaSonic S12II 520<< 10$ expensive but its bronze certified, and Seasonic is also a well known manufacturer of PSU
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151094


    this might be not the exact model of the video card but try to look at it to have ideas on the wattage...
    http://www.hisdigital.com/un/product2-649.shtml

    hope it helps...

    but my ups is of 300 watt (back ups 550). will it can handle 500 watt cooler master psu?
    my ups this one.

    http://www.google.co.in/imgres?q=back+ups+550&num=10&hl=en&biw=1366&bih=643&tbm=isch&tbnid=ZMXe3S9sSaXd0M:&imgrefurl=http://pune.olx.in/apc-back-ups-550-230v-ups-without-auto-shutdown-software-for-sale-iid-70587936&docid=GtvY_UTt-3F8uM&imgurl=http://images04.olx.in/ui/4/85/36/70587936_1-Pictures-of-APC-Back-UPS-550-230V-UPS-without-auto-shutdown-software-for-sale.jpg&w=500&h=500&ei=VR4iULrzOMLprAfTmoGQBA&zoom=1
  9. Here a great PSU it's built by seasonic $56.88 XFX P1-450S-X2B9 Core Edition Power Supply - 450W, 80 Plus Bronze, Active PFC, 120mm Fan http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1143934&CatId=5430
  10. OP appears to be in India and likely has very limited access to a large variety of PSUs.

    BSNL: The Corsair CX430 is more than sufficient for your planned upgrade and would easily support up to an HD6850. Do you have a sitethat we can look at and make recommendations? If yes, then let us know what your PSU budget.
  11. BSNL said:
    but my ups is of 300 watt (back ups 550). will it can handle 500 watt cooler master psu?
    my ups this one.

    The PSU will draw only as much power as it needs to power your computer regardless of what its nominal wattage is, though you might want to make sure you pick an efficient (at least 80+ Bronze certification) PSU.

    A 1000W 80+ Gold PSU will still only use ~225W while powering a 200W PC.
  12. InvalidError said:
    The PSU will draw only as much power as it needs to power your computer regardless of what its nominal wattage is, though you might want to make sure you pick an efficient (at least 80+ Bronze certification) PSU.

    A 1000W 80+ Gold PSU will still only use ~225W while powering a 200W PC.


    Cool, I didnt know that. I have heard that a psu can draw more than it says on the box. Is that true, cuz I have seen my 650w putting out upwards of 730w?
  13. I am not sure about 450w, but the psu I have is by xFx. The core edition 650w. I got it for 50$, it came with dirt 3, and has worked ABSOLUTELY FLAWLESSLY! If they make a 450w one (core edition single rail), i suggest that. Fabulous psu, if I ever upgrade, I would get another one, with higher wattage.
  14. Mark1412 said:
    I am not sure about 450w, but the psu I have is by xFx. The core edition 650w. I got it for 50$, it came with dirt 3, and has worked ABSOLUTELY FLAWLESSLY! If they make a 450w one (core edition single rail), i suggest that. Fabulous psu, if I ever upgrade, I would get another one, with higher wattage.
    The PSU you have is actually built by seasonic as all xfx psu are ;)
  15. bigcyco1 said:
    The PSU you have is actually built by seasonic as all xfx psu are ;)


    RLY! Lol :pt1cable: I had no idea! Cool, that deserves some research :lol:
  16. Mark1412 said:
    I have heard that a psu can draw more than it says on the box. Is that true, cuz I have seen my 650w putting out upwards of 730w?

    An 80% efficient 500W PSU loaded at 500W would draw 625W so yes, a PSU can draw more power than its nominal output rating is due to converter losses. But this happens only if you are loading the PSU close to its maximum rating, which is rarely the case.

    Also, keep in mind that your UPS reports the total power draw for all devices connected to backup outlets. I'm guessing you at least have your LCD plugged into a backup outlet, that's 50-100W. If you have other stuff, that adds up as well.

    With my PC at full CPU+GPU load, my UPS reports it is providing 260W but that includes PC (650W PSU), LCD, DSL modem, router, 24-ports Ethernet switch, USB hub, laptop, external HDDs... so my 650W PSU is obviously not pulling anywhere near 200W.
  17. Rugger said:
    OP appears to be in India and likely has very limited access to a large variety of PSUs.

    BSNL: The Corsair CX430 is more than sufficient for your planned upgrade and would easily support up to an HD6850. Do you have a sitethat we can look at and make recommendations? If yes, then let us know what your PSU budget.

    but can it handle my 300 watt psu?

    http://www.google.co.in/imgres?q=back+ups+550&num=10&hl=en&biw=1366&bih=643&tbm=isch&tbnid=ZMXe3S9sSaXd0M:&imgrefurl=http://pune.olx.in/apc-back-ups-550-230v-ups-without-auto-shutdown-software-for-sale-iid-70587936&docid=GtvY_UTt-3F8uM&imgurl=http://images04.olx.in/ui/4/85/36/70587936_1-Pictures-of-APC-Back-UPS-550-230V-UPS-without-auto-shutdown-software-for-sale.jpg&w=500&h=500&ei=VR4iULrzOMLprAfTmoGQBA&zoom=1


    http://www.flipkart.com/cooler-master-gx-450w-450-watts-psu/p/itmd5xz42zmhxna5
  18. BSNL said:
    but can it handle my 300 watt psu?

    If you PC's components use 150W and your PSU is a crappy unit with 70% efficiency, your PSU is only going to draw around 215W. If you have a 80+ Gold rated PSU, it would draw around 165W. PSUs draw whatever wall power they need to feed the load, nominal output power of a PSU is nothing more than the declared maximum power output, it has absolutely no meaning as far as UPS sizing goes. How powerful the UPS has to be depends on how large a load is put on the PSU and the PSU's efficiency at that load level.

    You also need to account for power draw from other devices attached to the UPS such as the main LCD.

    You basically have three choices:
    1- estimate power from the sum of your PC's components
    2- measure actual usage using something like a Kill-a-Watt meter
    3- simply buy something supersized if it fits in your budget

    When I buy an UPS for personal use, I simply get the biggest APC unit I can get under $200.
  19. InvalidError said:
    If you PC's components use 150W and your PSU is a crappy unit with 70% efficiency, your PSU is only going to draw around 215W. If you have a 80+ Gold rated PSU, it would draw around 165W. PSUs draw whatever wall power they need to feed the load, nominal output power of a PSU is nothing more than the declared maximum power output, it has absolutely no meaning as far as UPS sizing goes. How powerful the UPS has to be depends on how large a load is put on the PSU and the PSU's efficiency at that load level.

    You also need to account for power draw from other devices attached to the UPS such as the main LCD.

    You basically have three choices:
    1- estimate power from the sum of your PC's components
    2- measure actual usage using something like a Kill-a-Watt meter
    3- simply buy something supersized if it fits in your budget

    When I buy an UPS for personal use, I simply get the biggest APC unit I can get under $200.

    please tell me yes or no that will 450 wattage of any psu can handle my 300 watt, back ups 500 ?
    if you want to see my ups click here,

    http://www.google.co.in/imgres?q=back+ups+550&num=10&hl=en&biw=1366&bih=643&tbm=isch&tbnid=ZMXe3S9sSaXd0M:&imgrefurl=http://pune.olx.in/apc-back-ups-550-230v-ups-without-auto-shutdown-software-for-sale-iid-70587936&docid=GtvY_UTt-3F8uM&imgurl=http://images04.olx.in/ui/4/85/36/70587936_1-Pictures-of-APC-Back-UPS-550-230V-UPS-without-auto-shutdown-software-for-sale.jpg&w=500&h=500&ei=iXMjUKuiMae4iAf6oICABw&zoom=1
  20. Yes, your UPS will work with the PSU in your PC. If you lose power for more than a few seconds, then I would shut down the PC instead of trying to operate on the UPS.
  21. BSNL said:
    please tell me yes or no that will 450 wattage of any psu can handle my 300 watt, back ups 500 ?
    if you want to see my ups click here,

    If you mean that your 450W PSU is loaded at 300W then no, a 500VA UPS is unlikely to be sufficient. Even less so if the UPS is also providing backup power to a LCD and maybe other stuff.
  22. InvalidError said:
    If you mean that your 450W PSU is loaded at 300W then no, a 500VA UPS is unlikely to be sufficient. Even less so if the UPS is also providing backup power to a LCD and maybe other stuff.

    i am not talking about the battery backup. i only dont want to burn my 300 watt ups or 450 watt psu
  23. A UPS is an Uninterruptible Power Supply and is commonly called a battery backup...I was saying that your UPS and your PSU will work together.
  24. Best answer
    It will physically work but it won't last long in a power outage annd that is why Invaliderror wasrecommending you get a more powerful UPS.
  25. Best answer selected by BSNL.
  26. Rugger said:
    I was saying that your UPS and your PSU will work together.

    Only if his PSU and whatever other equipment he might have on his UPS draws less than the UPS' backup rating.

    Since he failed to clearly state what his PC's power requirements are or give sufficient hints for us to make an educated guess, there is no guarantee that the UPS will be able to power his configuration.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Cooler Master Corsair Components Product